exploring donor embyro(adoption and children mentioned

exploring donor embyro(adoption and children mentioned

December 30th, 2010, 3:41 am #1

Hello. I have been a lurker on these boards for quite some time. We went back and forth about using DE, adoption, and donor embyro. The first time, we picked adoption. As well as 2 bio kids who were concieved much earlier in life, we are proud parents to another daughter who is 5. We did domestic adoption for her. She also happens to have Down Syndrome. We are wanting to add one more child that is a bit closer to her age, and are back to the same questions. Adoption was hard. Our daughter has been totally worth it, but we are really wondering if we can put ourselves and our family through that. I have done some research, but am having a hard time finding clinics that have donor embie programs. I have seen the adoption ones, but are there any clinics that have people just willing to donate sometimes? It seems a bit strange for us to have to do a home study again. I have looked at the other board, bit there is not a lot of posting there. Thanks

Ariadne
Ariadne

December 30th, 2010, 4:03 am #2

Piper posts about this issue on occasion & is very educated on the issue, being involved in lobbying for reproductive rights, etc.

I've attached a previous post of hers that touches on the issues.

In general, what I've taken away from various discussions is that you want to look for clinics (or agencies if they exist) that do embryo donation and avoid agencies that do embryo adoption, as that terminology clues you into what they require, such as home studies as you mentioned.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/57451/me ... existance-

Are you willing to travel? If not, in what general area are you looking to find donated embryos? This isn't an area I'm terribly familiar with, but I know there are some wise women on here who are knowledgeable & can point you in the right direction, particularly with some geographic info.

Welcome to the board and best of luck to you.

kirsten
kirsten

December 30th, 2010, 4:09 am #3

Thanks! We are in Colorado. I will travel, but not all that far.Yes, you are correct. Having to do a homestudy for an adoption is one thing. I understand that, but for embryos. That is a bit different. If someone wanted to see the homestudy, I guess that would be OK too.

December 30th, 2010, 4:47 am #4

to be a political agenda thing with home studies, etc. for embryos. B/c I have several frozen embryos myself, I do understand the attachment to those embryos once you have children from other cycles, but still, I would urge everyone - those donating & those seeking donations - to try & stick with clinics or agencies without the political agendas. It scares me that perhaps what helped me build my family - DE - may not be available for women in the future.

I would suggest re-posting on this board & maybe the pink board (DE pg. & parenting, linked above) with a title to the effect of "suggestions on donor embryos in or around CO."

A lot of posters read every post, but others only scan for titles (guilty of that myself, simply due to time constraints.)

December 30th, 2010, 5:24 am #5

Thanks! We are in Colorado. I will travel, but not all that far.Yes, you are correct. Having to do a homestudy for an adoption is one thing. I understand that, but for embryos. That is a bit different. If someone wanted to see the homestudy, I guess that would be OK too.
We donated our frozen embryos through our clinic. I'd be happy to share info with you - although I don't know anything about CO. You can email me at andi333 at ymail.com. Just let me know here that you've sent an email as I don't check it much. In the meantime check out miracleswaiting.org. It's a website with tons of info and no agenda as far as I know. It is also a place where people try to connect with others who are donating embryos. There are people out there trying to find a home for there embryos...it's just a matter of finding someone who is a good fit for your family...and people range from donating to friends to donating anon. Good Luck!
Last edited by Andi777 on December 30th, 2010, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 30th, 2010, 1:37 pm #6

My beautiful babies came to me via the clinic there. I only waited 4 months at the time to make the top of the list too! (You might have to call more than once though from what I have read recently. Also if it matters to you, they had by far mostly embryos from hispanic donors when I chose mine and I think just three caucasian. Luckily, I found my dream come true in their choices!)

December 30th, 2010, 2:47 pm #7

I think it was in FL. The website gave donor profiles and even pix of the kids. Do you remember that?

December 30th, 2010, 2:53 pm #8

Hello. I have been a lurker on these boards for quite some time. We went back and forth about using DE, adoption, and donor embyro. The first time, we picked adoption. As well as 2 bio kids who were concieved much earlier in life, we are proud parents to another daughter who is 5. We did domestic adoption for her. She also happens to have Down Syndrome. We are wanting to add one more child that is a bit closer to her age, and are back to the same questions. Adoption was hard. Our daughter has been totally worth it, but we are really wondering if we can put ourselves and our family through that. I have done some research, but am having a hard time finding clinics that have donor embie programs. I have seen the adoption ones, but are there any clinics that have people just willing to donate sometimes? It seems a bit strange for us to have to do a home study again. I have looked at the other board, bit there is not a lot of posting there. Thanks
but they're in NJ. CCRM in Englewood, CO has donor embies, but I had a consultation with them about 2-3 years ago, and a cycle was still more than 10k!!!

I've heard good things about Fertility and Surgical Associates in Thousand Oaks, CA. Also look for Yofi's posts. She knows about a clinic near Sacramento where you can get 3 donor embryo cycles very inexpensively.

In Jacksonville, FL, FIRM does donor embryos.

In TN, there is the National Embryo Donation Center.http://www.embryodonation.org/

GL!

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

December 30th, 2010, 3:31 pm #9

I think it was in FL. The website gave donor profiles and even pix of the kids. Do you remember that?
http://www.dreamababy.com/emb_search.php

Tehy must be getting better know though because even a month ago, there were a number of embryos not on reserve but last time I looked, only two were available. There is actually a clinic very near me (headquartered in Bedford TX) that does embryo donation for just $3500ish and doesn't seem to have much in the way of a waiting list - they were actually my Plan C at one point. http://www.embryo.net/) I don't know success rates there though.

December 30th, 2010, 3:49 pm #10

We donated our frozen embryos through our clinic. I'd be happy to share info with you - although I don't know anything about CO. You can email me at andi333 at ymail.com. Just let me know here that you've sent an email as I don't check it much. In the meantime check out miracleswaiting.org. It's a website with tons of info and no agenda as far as I know. It is also a place where people try to connect with others who are donating embryos. There are people out there trying to find a home for there embryos...it's just a matter of finding someone who is a good fit for your family...and people range from donating to friends to donating anon. Good Luck!
Thank you all for the information. I will email you here in a bit.