Embryo Transfer Cancelled Today

Embryo Transfer Cancelled Today

November 18th, 2011, 1:49 am #1

Hi Everyone

Doing my first DE IVF Embryo transfer today at FIRM in Jacksonville, I was wheeled in to do the transfer and the doctor noticed bleeding (not spotting) and said it was not best to proceed due to the embryo's being contaminated, etc. He was pretty stunned as he said he basically has never seen a woman bleeding, even though five days ago for my ultrasound check everything looked normal and E2 and Progesterone were normal. Has any one heard of an ET cancelled due to bleeding and basically my period has started. My cycles have always been irregular, but this was ridiculous and truly heartbreaking, especially after my husband and I driving 4.5 hours for this. But we do have 2 great ones to freeze and potentially 3 more embryo's that could make blast stage to freeze, all from a shared cycle. Good thing we did the Shared Risk Program at FIRM talked about on these boards. Has anyone heard of this kind of situation? Was my protocol screwed up with the progesterone? I was on Vivelle Dot 0.1 mg 4 patches a day (now down to 2 every other day for a week), and was on 2 cc's of 50 mg/ml of Progesterone oil shots I started after the donor had her egg retreival Saturday. I have been told to stop the progesterone for now. The clinic is going to start me on Provera and suggested I would probably need vaginal progesterone and the shots for the frozen transfer. Needless to say it was a long drive home, but we are optimistic our frosties will be what we are waiting for.

ks
ks

November 18th, 2011, 1:57 am #2

This happened to me on the patches as well! I don't react to them as I should. I need up taking estrace (vaginally) after another try and that worked fantastic! I'm so sorry this happened to you, I know how heartbreaking it is.

All my best to you!

ks

November 18th, 2011, 2:14 am #3

Thanks for your words of encouragement and advice. I felt so lonely until I read your post, as the doctors and nurses were kind of at a loss for words as to why this happened. So can the Vivelle Dot patches be blamed for this? Should I recommend them put me on estrace instead of the patches? Trying to understand so I can talk to them tomorrow.

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 18th, 2011, 2:15 am #4

Hi Everyone

Doing my first DE IVF Embryo transfer today at FIRM in Jacksonville, I was wheeled in to do the transfer and the doctor noticed bleeding (not spotting) and said it was not best to proceed due to the embryo's being contaminated, etc. He was pretty stunned as he said he basically has never seen a woman bleeding, even though five days ago for my ultrasound check everything looked normal and E2 and Progesterone were normal. Has any one heard of an ET cancelled due to bleeding and basically my period has started. My cycles have always been irregular, but this was ridiculous and truly heartbreaking, especially after my husband and I driving 4.5 hours for this. But we do have 2 great ones to freeze and potentially 3 more embryo's that could make blast stage to freeze, all from a shared cycle. Good thing we did the Shared Risk Program at FIRM talked about on these boards. Has anyone heard of this kind of situation? Was my protocol screwed up with the progesterone? I was on Vivelle Dot 0.1 mg 4 patches a day (now down to 2 every other day for a week), and was on 2 cc's of 50 mg/ml of Progesterone oil shots I started after the donor had her egg retreival Saturday. I have been told to stop the progesterone for now. The clinic is going to start me on Provera and suggested I would probably need vaginal progesterone and the shots for the frozen transfer. Needless to say it was a long drive home, but we are optimistic our frosties will be what we are waiting for.
The vivelle patches did NOT suppress me, I ovulated right through them as if they were not there. We thought my mock cycle was going OK until my period started. The next mock cycle was much better, added vaginal estrace and was monitored more often to make sure it was working. Then we did the real cycle like the 2nd mock, knowing the patches were ineffective for me.

ks
ks

November 18th, 2011, 2:25 am #5

Thanks for your words of encouragement and advice. I felt so lonely until I read your post, as the doctors and nurses were kind of at a loss for words as to why this happened. So can the Vivelle Dot patches be blamed for this? Should I recommend them put me on estrace instead of the patches? Trying to understand so I can talk to them tomorrow.

I honestly think I had an allergic reaction. I also had swollen feet while I was on the patches. We tried estrace orally but my body didn't break it down properly and never grew a lining. Del estrogen isn't available her in Canada so we moved to estrace vaginally and I built a 13 triple stripe lining! It's definitely not worth trying the patches again when there are so many other options! I hope tomorrow you hear some good news about the frosties!

ks

Julie
Julie

November 18th, 2011, 2:27 am #6

Hi Everyone

I have not heard of that happening before. I was a patient at FIRM in 2008-2009 and really liked it. I moved to Shady Grove in late 2009 because FIRM did not have the shared risk at the time and I had moved to DC. The only way DH was willing to go forward was with a shared risk program after 2 unsuccessful fresh cycles at FIRM. I would have stayed there if they had had a shared risk then. Who is your RE? Mine was Dr. Duffy and I loved him. I thought all the nurses were wonderful. Nan was a huge help. While I was so happy that Shady Grove gave me my LO, I may not have moved if FIRM had offered it.

I am happy that they noticed the bleeding when you went in vs. it starting right after the transfer -- that would have been even more heartbreaking. I never had trouble with vivelle but you can see that others on the board have. I will be thinking lots of good thoughts for you.

November 18th, 2011, 2:28 am #7

not logged above so can't edit -- success implied nt

November 18th, 2011, 2:40 am #8

I have not heard of that happening before. I was a patient at FIRM in 2008-2009 and really liked it. I moved to Shady Grove in late 2009 because FIRM did not have the shared risk at the time and I had moved to DC. The only way DH was willing to go forward was with a shared risk program after 2 unsuccessful fresh cycles at FIRM. I would have stayed there if they had had a shared risk then. Who is your RE? Mine was Dr. Duffy and I loved him. I thought all the nurses were wonderful. Nan was a huge help. While I was so happy that Shady Grove gave me my LO, I may not have moved if FIRM had offered it.

I am happy that they noticed the bleeding when you went in vs. it starting right after the transfer -- that would have been even more heartbreaking. I never had trouble with vivelle but you can see that others on the board have. I will be thinking lots of good thoughts for you.
We have Dr. Winslow and I think he was very shocked actually. Nan and the nurses have been a great help, but am real glad we did the shared risk program now, knowing if these frosties don't take, I have two more fresh cycles, although if push comes to shove, I would request a third fresh cycle as they did not put me on the correct protocol to begin with. Thanks for your words of encouragement as well Julie. It has made this tough day more bearable being in the board writing you ladies. Funny thing is my appointment was at 10 am this morning and was moved to 2 PM this afternoon due to the doctors hectic schedule. That few hours me and my DH truly believe saved our embryo's, so there was that positive lining in this tough day. But no I realize it was the vivelle and not the progesterone as Nan asked my husband where I got the progesterone from etc.

November 18th, 2011, 4:19 am #9

Hi Everyone

When I cycled, my clinic had me do the lupron shots, vivelle patches, vaginal estradiol and vaginal progesterone. I was not put on to the progesterone in oil until a few days after transfer and I continued with the vaginal progesterone too.
Best of luck next time.
Pict

November 18th, 2011, 6:26 am #10

Hi Everyone

How horribly disappointing! I am so sorry. But I'm VERY glad it started before embryo transfer so the embryos could be frozen. Good luck to you. Hope it works out soon.