Embarassed to even ask....

Embarassed to even ask....

December 6th, 2011, 8:34 pm #1

When getting a transfer do they put all the embryos in one catheter or do they bring them in one at a time? I had my first transfer and I could not see what was going on, he appeared to put one in, said "I will be right back" and 3 minutes later came back with another catheter. The plan was to put two in, I just felt like something was off.
Last edited by MamaBubbles on December 6th, 2011, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anonymous
anonymous

December 6th, 2011, 9:25 pm #2

to say the catheter was empty. was it inserted again?

December 6th, 2011, 9:30 pm #3

When getting a transfer do they put all the embryos in one catheter or do they bring them in one at a time? I had my first transfer and I could not see what was going on, he appeared to put one in, said "I will be right back" and 3 minutes later came back with another catheter. The plan was to put two in, I just felt like something was off.
At least that is what they did with me. With my first OE cycle they transferred four embryos in one catheter. I actually watched them on the screen and could see the four little dots get sucked up into the tube from their dish and then inserted leaving the tube.

I'm not sure why he left and came back. It is possible that other clinics do it differently and they had them in different catheters. If you are concerned you could call your RE and ask them what happened.

December 6th, 2011, 9:35 pm #4

They insert the catheter with all of the embryos to do the transfer. Then the catheter is taken back to the lab be examined under the microscope to confirm that all embryos were transferred. Perhaps if it was noticed that one was not transferred, the doctor would come back and reinserted to do a "second" transfer of one left behind. I would call and ask.

December 6th, 2011, 9:38 pm #5

The embryologist checks the catheter to make sure they all came out in the first transfer. If you had two transfers then this is probably what happened.

December 6th, 2011, 9:39 pm #6

I am going to call and ask. After he came in with the first catheter he left for a bit. When he came back and apparently inserted the embryos he did go and check to be sure that the embryo was gone. I have a horrible feeling something went wrong.