Down diagnosis with DE (pg ment)

Down diagnosis with DE (pg ment)

worldtraveler
worldtraveler

June 1st, 2011, 12:28 pm #1

I can't believe this is happening. My integrated screening came back with a 1 in 10 chance of Downs Syndrome. It just feels so unfair. I was absolutely, absolutely not even considering this as an option because my donor is 27 so there's only a one in 1,250 chance of having a Downs baby (as opposed to 1 in 40 or something at my age). I really don't feel up to all the health issues that can come with a Downs child, heart surgery, stomach surgery. It's just completely devastating. Could use some support.

June 1st, 2011, 12:38 pm #2

I am so sorry you have to deal with this, after all you've been through to get pregnant. The only reassurance I can offer is that the odds are still in your favor. I wish you strength and comfort at this challenging time.

Jen

June 1st, 2011, 12:59 pm #3

I can't believe this is happening. My integrated screening came back with a 1 in 10 chance of Downs Syndrome. It just feels so unfair. I was absolutely, absolutely not even considering this as an option because my donor is 27 so there's only a one in 1,250 chance of having a Downs baby (as opposed to 1 in 40 or something at my age). I really don't feel up to all the health issues that can come with a Downs child, heart surgery, stomach surgery. It's just completely devastating. Could use some support.
I went through that with a friend a couple of years ago. All tests came back as a Down's baby. She decided to have the baby anyway. The baby was perfect and is still perfect. The tests have a HUGE false-positive, just remember that. HUGS!!!

Jamie
Jamie

June 1st, 2011, 1:16 pm #4

I am lurking from the regular high FSH board as there is a lot of good info over here. I just had an OE IVF baby and my screening came up high also. I declined the amnio but fortunately everything was okay and my daughter was perfectly healthy. We just had a woman get 1 in 3 odds; she had the amnio and everything is okay.

1 in 10 is scary but you have a 9/10 chance that everything is okay. I have read that having to take the drugs that we have to take with these pregnancies can mess with the blood test results; if the neck fold measurement was normal that's a good sign. Definitely have the amnio ASAP and find out for sure if you don't think you can handle a Down baby. Praying for you that everything will work out.

worldtraveler
worldtraveler

June 1st, 2011, 1:26 pm #5

The nuchal fold was good and when i saw that they test Hcg, i thought we might get skewed results. This gives me so much hope. Thank you!!

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 1st, 2011, 1:30 pm #6

I had the same thing happen with my DE pregnancy (1 in 10 for downs). Donor was 25, I was 35. I did the amnio and everything came back fine. My OB kept reminding me that 1 in 10, was a 90% chance of everything being normal. Doing the amnio is a personal decision, I just wanted to know - but totally understand that others make a different decision. I also was at high risk for Noonans, which luckily our son doesn't have either (I decided not to test for this). He is totally fine. Keep in mind these are screening tests.

Leigh888
Leigh888

June 1st, 2011, 2:06 pm #7

I hope that the amnio results give you much better news. Keep in mind that you still have a 90% chance that everything is just fine.

June 1st, 2011, 2:20 pm #8

Given the things I've read on these boards, I was almost relieved that there was no real point in doing the BW portion of the Ultrascreen b/c I was having twins and the accuracy rate goes down so much for them. Remember, 1 in 10 still means that the odds still overwhelmingly favor that your baby is OK. Take care, kiddo, Maggie (in VA)

June 1st, 2011, 3:01 pm #9

And it was a horrible shock for us. Even with the donor's age factored in, the risk was 'more than one in 50' because of high HcG.

A friend who happens to be a doctor told me that as far as HcG numbers go, my numbers might be higher than a young pregnant woman because MY body was the one reacting to the pregnancy. He said the numbers aren't really accurate for women like us (older bodies with younger eggs producing the embryos). (I know I'm not explaining this well but it made sense to me.)

Please do remember that you have, at the moment, doctors telling you that there is a 90% chance that your child DOES NOT have Down's.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

June 1st, 2011, 3:35 pm #10

Did they use your age when calculating?

----------------------------

I've got all I'll ever need thanks to the Keeper of the Stars.