Donor with a Different Blood Type

Donor with a Different Blood Type

HappyBean
HappyBean

March 13th, 2013, 2:54 pm #1

How much privacy can be compromised if the donor has a different blood type from yours? I plan to be "tell" with the child, so I don't care from that vantage point, but I'd prefer to be "no tell" with my doctors/pediatrician.

Would the blood type difference be an issue then?

HappyBean
HappyBean

March 13th, 2013, 3:02 pm #2

I mean to asked: Will doctors know I did DE if the child ends up having a different blood type from mine, because the donor did. I don't plan to mentioning the donor (or her blood type, or anything else) to anyone who will be providing medical care to me or my child.

Thanks!

Probably fine
Probably fine

March 13th, 2013, 3:18 pm #3

How much privacy can be compromised if the donor has a different blood type from yours? I plan to be "tell" with the child, so I don't care from that vantage point, but I'd prefer to be "no tell" with my doctors/pediatrician.

Look in the blood type calculator. In my case if the child ends up with her blood type, it could be from the father. (It isn't in this case.) So the doctor would have to know both our blood types to figure it out.

Check out donor calculator.

In some kind strange emergency, that requires organ transplants perhaps it would be relevant--but I'm not even sure then. I'm o positive and can donate to my child if my child had donor's blood type.

Point is they would never do the detective work necessary to discover this fact so I don't worry about it.

I wouldn't make donor's blood type a deciding issue unless there was an Rh factor issue.

HappyBean
HappyBean

March 13th, 2013, 3:25 pm #4

Beautiful! Thank you. I'm at ease. :) n/t

March 13th, 2013, 5:09 pm #5

where can I find the blood type calculator?

March 13th, 2013, 5:31 pm #6

My DD has the ED's blood type. As it works out, she cannot be my genetic child with that blood type (no matter what combo you pick, my DH and I cannot produce a child with my DD's blood type). My child did have her blood typing done at birth (I don't know if this always occurs or if it was because of a medical situation we had at DD's birth). At any rate, it became a huge issue because DD and my blood type were not compatible so they briefly thought there was a mixup with babies and that we had the wrong baby! It was resloved quickly and discretely but holy crap. Prepare for the worst case scenario, but expect the best. I'm sure mine is an isolated incident but you just never know.

March 13th, 2013, 6:01 pm #7

Look in the blood type calculator. In my case if the child ends up with her blood type, it could be from the father. (It isn't in this case.) So the doctor would have to know both our blood types to figure it out.

Check out donor calculator.

In some kind strange emergency, that requires organ transplants perhaps it would be relevant--but I'm not even sure then. I'm o positive and can donate to my child if my child had donor's blood type.

Point is they would never do the detective work necessary to discover this fact so I don't worry about it.

I wouldn't make donor's blood type a deciding issue unless there was an Rh factor issue.
since even not knowing your husband's blood type, that's not possible with you as genetic mother. If you are A or B, it does not matter. But if you are type O and want to make sure there's no possibility of your child's blood type making doctors question DE vs OE, make sure your donor either matches your husband or is a type O.

anon
anon

March 13th, 2013, 9:52 pm #8

the reverse, mom is AB and baby is O

March 13th, 2013, 11:18 pm #9

Of course you have to know genotype of at least father or egg donor and maybe both in that case to avoid a type O surprise. Or choose an AB donor then bases are covered. With mine, I am A+, and they are O+ and B+. I know I am genotype AO so as long as I partnered with a man with genotype BO, my kids could "conceivably" be genetically mine. Not that it matters much to me - was just curious what partner would "work."

E&H
E&H

March 13th, 2013, 11:52 pm #10

Donor A+, dh B+ me 0+. Twins A+, no one said a thing and blood groups are tested at birth here and written on baby book.