Donor using Mirena - concerned

Donor using Mirena - concerned

Mrs. H
Mrs. H

February 15th, 2012, 4:16 pm #1

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who responded to me when I first joined this board about a month ago. I was so overwhelmed at the time, and it made me feel much better!
Now, after months of poring over potential donors, my DH and I have selected one we felt really good about. However, when I spoke to our donor coordinator this morning, she informed me that the donor had recently had a Mirena IUD inserted. Now I'm back to feeling overwhelmed and concerned. Most clinics won't even let someone become a donor until two months after they have the Mirena device removed. This would obviously significantly impact our schedule, and I'm also concerned about the number/quality of eggs this donor will now produce as a result of the Mirena device. I also have to wonder why on earth a donor - and this one is experienced - would put in such an IUD when she knew people were actively considering using her as a donor.
Help!

February 15th, 2012, 6:47 pm #2

So she currently has the Mirena IUD in place? It does seem odd she would have that inserted while she is on a donor list, hmmmm. Maybe she thinks it is no big deal, she'll just have it quickly removed if she is selected as a donor and it is really good reliable birth control. It is easy to have an IUD removed. I had one removed and it was quick, easy and painless.

I don't think the IUD will effect the number or quality of eggs after she has it removed. If she is the one you want I would wait for her and don't let the IUD worry you.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 15th, 2012, 7:01 pm #3

Mirena has a hormone component(I think) so that might be a concern??

Mrs. H
Mrs. H

February 15th, 2012, 7:44 pm #4

Hi there
Yes, the hormones used in the Mirena device (which makes it different from other IUIs) are the concern. In some cases, they can lead to amenorrhea or lack of ovulation - which is why most clinics want donors to both have the device removed and wait a couple months before donating.
We are excited about many of this donor's qualities, so perhaps it is just a matter of reframing my expectations and trying to be patient.

thank you!

February 15th, 2012, 8:16 pm #5

I never used a Mirena, I used a copper IUD with no hormones. But I don't think the Mirena hormones would be hugely different than BCP hormones. Sometimes with BCPs you have to wait a few months for ovulation to get going again too. I think if you really like the donor you should wait for her. Especially if it is only waiting a couple of months. With some donors you have to wait anyways until they are ready to cycle because they may have school, travel plans or some other obligation.

Catherine
Catherine

February 15th, 2012, 9:26 pm #6

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who responded to me when I first joined this board about a month ago. I was so overwhelmed at the time, and it made me feel much better!
Now, after months of poring over potential donors, my DH and I have selected one we felt really good about. However, when I spoke to our donor coordinator this morning, she informed me that the donor had recently had a Mirena IUD inserted. Now I'm back to feeling overwhelmed and concerned. Most clinics won't even let someone become a donor until two months after they have the Mirena device removed. This would obviously significantly impact our schedule, and I'm also concerned about the number/quality of eggs this donor will now produce as a result of the Mirena device. I also have to wonder why on earth a donor - and this one is experienced - would put in such an IUD when she knew people were actively considering using her as a donor.
Help!
She had iti removed for the cce, our dr wasn't particularly concerned. We got lucky first try so it certainly wasn't a problem for us