Donor Embryo Resources?

Donor Embryo Resources?

Anna
Anna

May 14th, 2011, 2:25 pm #1

I've done a search on the board and found the clinic in NM, the one in Reno and California Conceptions. I think there was also one in North Carolina. I also know about Snowflakes and Miracles Waiting. None of the local clinics have donor embryo programs.

What other clinics are there?

What about foreign clinics? I've heard Reprofit in CR has donor embryos and I think Gennet has a donor embryo program too. But I'm not sure about the waiting time. I've seen donor embryo mentioned on some of the Spanish IVF clinic websites too. Does it make sense to fly overseas for donor embryo given the lower success rates than with donor egg? Is there any other advantage to going international than waiting on a US clinic to have embryos available?

What increases the chance of success with donor embryo?

Ginger
Ginger

May 14th, 2011, 8:40 pm #2

in NJ has a good program.

ccivf dot com

May 14th, 2011, 9:25 pm #3

I've done a search on the board and found the clinic in NM, the one in Reno and California Conceptions. I think there was also one in North Carolina. I also know about Snowflakes and Miracles Waiting. None of the local clinics have donor embryo programs.

What about foreign clinics? I've heard Reprofit in CR has donor embryos and I think Gennet has a donor embryo program too. But I'm not sure about the waiting time. I've seen donor embryo mentioned on some of the Spanish IVF clinic websites too. Does it make sense to fly overseas for donor embryo given the lower success rates than with donor egg? Is there any other advantage to going international than waiting on a US clinic to have embryos available?

They may have a patient they know wants to donate even if they don't have a program.

Skye
Skye

May 14th, 2011, 10:43 pm #4

It sounds like you've already researched many of the options I know about. As a PP mentioned there is Cooper in NJ and I've also seen a few people cycle with FSA in Thousand Oaks, California. There is also one or two clinics in Florida, but I don't know to much about them except that a few people have remarked that their costs are on the high side.

To answer your question about "What increases the chance of success with donor embryo?"...

I think the biggest influences would be the age of the female donor, the overall success rates of the clinic (especially for frozen transfers), and the quality of the embryos.

We cycled with the clinic in Reno and were matched with 8 good quality embies made from a 22-year old egg donor (the batch resulted in twins for the original couple and I am currently 26 weeks pregnant with a singleton). I don't think they have as many batches on their list anymore, but I've known other people who have donor embryo success there with embryos from older donors as well. There was no wait time when I cycled. I've seen others who have had success at Cooper, the clinic in New Mexico, and through a bunch of different local clinics (so it never hurts to ask around at all the clinics in driving distance).

I personally didn't consider overseas clinics because I figured the cost of the travel would pretty much make it comparable to cycling here when it came to donor embies. If I recall correctly the cost for donor embryo at the Zlin clinic in Czech Republic is around $1500 (plus travel and meds) and our cost to cycle here was $3200 (plus travel and meds). It was also my understanding that their FET success rates were not that great (although maybe I'm wrong on that).

May 15th, 2011, 12:23 am #5

...Wondering why you want to do donor embryo instead of donor egg and sperm (either from a partner or from a donor). We donated our embryos to an amazing couple and are hoping that they are able to complete their family with them, and I am 100% supportive of going that route. The truth is, most people who have left over embryos do not donate them. So many people are hoping for them, and yet there are so few available. And, the success rates are necessarily lower given the situation (the best embryos are used for someone's own cycle). It is also not inexpensive to go the donor embryo route unless it works the first time. So, if I had limited resources and was cool with totally anon, no photos, etc., I would likely to a DE cycle overseas. Good luck!

Anna
Anna

May 15th, 2011, 12:59 am #6

Our church (Orthodox Christian) disapproves of donor egg and donor sperm. The idea is that it is an interference in the marital relationship. Also DH and I both agreed that if the child isn't biologically related to one of us, we didn't want him/her to be biologically related to either of us.

May 15th, 2011, 1:04 am #7

That's interesting that DE and DS are thought of differently in your faith than donor embryo. Are you interested in knowing the donors or having it anon? Because we did a known donation and it has been very meaningful (and truly a spiritual experience) I am partial to that, but either way, I am hoping more ways open up for embryos to become available and for parties to be matched (whether on their own or through clinics/agencies). Wishing you lots of luck.

Anna
Anna

May 15th, 2011, 1:06 am #8

...Wondering why you want to do donor embryo instead of donor egg and sperm (either from a partner or from a donor). We donated our embryos to an amazing couple and are hoping that they are able to complete their family with them, and I am 100% supportive of going that route. The truth is, most people who have left over embryos do not donate them. So many people are hoping for them, and yet there are so few available. And, the success rates are necessarily lower given the situation (the best embryos are used for someone's own cycle). It is also not inexpensive to go the donor embryo route unless it works the first time. So, if I had limited resources and was cool with totally anon, no photos, etc., I would likely to a DE cycle overseas. Good luck!
Also, it is relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of IVF and especially to DE even if it takes several tries to be successful. I've been quoted between $4K to $6K in the US. That wouldn't include travel or meds. One cycle of OE IVF costs $11K here. So I can do 2 cycles of donor embryo for the price of 1 OE IVF.

Anna
Anna

May 15th, 2011, 1:12 am #9

That's interesting that DE and DS are thought of differently in your faith than donor embryo. Are you interested in knowing the donors or having it anon? Because we did a known donation and it has been very meaningful (and truly a spiritual experience) I am partial to that, but either way, I am hoping more ways open up for embryos to become available and for parties to be matched (whether on their own or through clinics/agencies). Wishing you lots of luck.
We want it to be anonymous. DH feels particularly strongly about this. He's adopted and has never had any interest in meeting his birthparents. I think that's why he feels so strongly about it.

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

May 15th, 2011, 1:25 am #10

Two cycles for the donating family resulted in a singleton and twins and first recipient had twins. Still, because of the age of the embies (13.4 yrs) and that they'd been thawed, cultured to blast, and refrozen, I was very surprised to also have twins from transfer of three embies. Maybe I should not have been but hindsight etc and I feel immeasurably blessed now. Of course the batch of embryos' "lucky streak" at producing pregnancies was not the main draw, but I definitely considered it when deciding.

There's actually a clinic near me that is only about $3500 for a donor embryo cycle:http://www.embryo.net/ and they have minimal wait times if any, they say. It was my plan C at one point when I thought I might need plan C. Dr Sweet in Florida:http://www.embryodonation.com/home.php but his price seems pretty high iirc.

Best to you! I loved this way of becoming a mommy and still marvel that these are my children.