donating embryo if you cycled in C.R.

donating embryo if you cycled in C.R.

Anon
Anon

May 5th, 2011, 10:50 pm #1

For anyone who cycled in CR, did you have leftover embryos that you donated to someone? Does Czech law require that the donation be anonymous? I am asking because, I am not comfortable with anonymous donation of my embryos. I would rather know who they go to.

May 6th, 2011, 4:10 am #2

I'd ask a lawyer. Most clinics will not do a transfer unless the original donor gives permission or the original contract states that the couple can donate the embryos to another recipient. We had to go back to our donor and get permission. I would think if you could donate it wouldn't matter if you were anon or not. It's the original donor who is anon.

May 6th, 2011, 2:51 pm #3

For anyone who cycled in CR, did you have leftover embryos that you donated to someone? Does Czech law require that the donation be anonymous? I am asking because, I am not comfortable with anonymous donation of my embryos. I would rather know who they go to.
are anonymous.

Daisy
x

May 6th, 2011, 4:38 pm #4

As far as I know, all gamete and embryo donation in the CR is anonymous by law. I would have gladly donated my embies to one of several friends who could have used them and would have welcomed the comfort of knowing my boys' genetic siblings, if the embies got someone else pg, would be with a person I knew. We used DE/DS, BTW. The "good" news from that perspective is that you're much less likely to have frosties in the CR. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

Anon
Anon

May 6th, 2011, 7:20 pm #5

and have frozen embryos. There are 4.

If they were donated to someone, I would hope they would screen the people who take them. For example, I wouldn't want anyone with a criminal record or history of domestic violence to have the embryos. I don't care how badly they want to be a parent, its just too much of a risk, and I have to put the potential child's interests first.

If they donate the embryos on demand, to "just anyone" who wants them, then I would rather have the embryos destroyed, as bad as that sounds.

LMD
LMD

May 7th, 2011, 5:01 am #6

not really thinking many weirdos and abusers are going down the donated embryo route esp overseas! people at that point are usually at the end of a long and hard road that really doesn't suggest the sociapathic types u think are out there! wow again!

Anon
Anon

May 7th, 2011, 10:07 pm #7

they don't have to be from overseas, to take a donor embryo. They could very well be local. I can't assume that EVERYone who would take a donor embryo is a nice person who just wants to love a child.

I've known families who really wanted to adopt a child, but they were abusive to their adopted child. My next door neighbor that I grew up with, for example. Yes, they really wanted a child and had money and means to raise him, but they would also hit him. That is why I would rather KNOW who the donor embryos are going to.

May 8th, 2011, 4:04 am #8

and have frozen embryos. There are 4.

If they were donated to someone, I would hope they would screen the people who take them. For example, I wouldn't want anyone with a criminal record or history of domestic violence to have the embryos. I don't care how badly they want to be a parent, its just too much of a risk, and I have to put the potential child's interests first.

If they donate the embryos on demand, to "just anyone" who wants them, then I would rather have the embryos destroyed, as bad as that sounds.
donor recipients. I am in the US and have worked with two clinics and neither of those clinics did a screening on me. However, I completely understand how you feel, which is one of the reasons that I could not donate our embryos.

Anon
Anon

May 8th, 2011, 9:14 pm #9

What did you do w/your remaining embryos? Just curious. I am also thinking about not donating them, which I suppose means (sadly) they would be discarded. However, my fear of a child going into an abusive home would keep me awake at nights. I wouldn't be able to live with it. I've known many people who grew up in homes where they were horribly abused, or just not loved.
I could try and transfer the remaining four embryos, but I am worried about the potential for a multiple birth, something we can't really afford financially or physically.

Craig R. Sweet, M.D.
Craig R. Sweet, M.D.

May 9th, 2011, 2:36 am #10

Depending on the number and quality of embryos you have available, they may be able to be sent to Embryo Donation International (EDI) which is located in the U.S.A. EDI has Anonymous, Approved and Open Embryo Donation options. Please visit www.EmbryoDonation.com for more information.

I hope you don't mind a response from a physician.

Craig R. Sweet, M.D.
Reproductive Endocrinologist
Founder and Medical Director
Embryo Donation International