Does this sound like a typical arrangement to you ?

Does this sound like a typical arrangement to you ?

July 2nd, 2015, 4:56 pm #1

I am 17 weeks today and I posted before on the SCH event at 15 weeks. I was healing by 16th week but had a refresh "bright red episode" over the weekend, so continuing on bed rest and fingers crossed. My frustration is really now with the OB/Hospital arrangement. I like my OB - old, rude but to the point guy, but he sits in a small clinic affiliated with another hospital. So when emergencies like these arise, he sends me for better quality ultrasound to the hospital ER/Labor and Delivery transfer. As reputed as that hospital is, it is a new building. The first time I went there, I waited on the bed for 2 full hours before the tech hauled in the ultrasound machine. They told me they had only one machine between ER and L&D, so that's a typical wait. Second time, same thing. I raised some noise so they brought in a poor quality machine (but only after two hours) which my OB tried to operate but couldn't see much beyond the breathing babies.

I am just worried if this is how it's going to be in future for the remainder of my term. If I leave the hospital, I may need to leave the OB. That is the nearest hospital where I live. But I will suck it up if you think this is all typical wait routine. It's just strange, but I will live with it. Anyone been through this ? I am also planning to have a good chat with my OB today.

July 2nd, 2015, 11:53 pm #2

I don't know if 2 hours wait time is typical to wait on an ultrasound machine, but I would not want to wait that long.
If I were pregnant, I'd want to use the closest hospital.

July 3rd, 2015, 1:51 am #3

I am 17 weeks today and I posted before on the SCH event at 15 weeks. I was healing by 16th week but had a refresh "bright red episode" over the weekend, so continuing on bed rest and fingers crossed. My frustration is really now with the OB/Hospital arrangement. I like my OB - old, rude but to the point guy, but he sits in a small clinic affiliated with another hospital. So when emergencies like these arise, he sends me for better quality ultrasound to the hospital ER/Labor and Delivery transfer. As reputed as that hospital is, it is a new building. The first time I went there, I waited on the bed for 2 full hours before the tech hauled in the ultrasound machine. They told me they had only one machine between ER and L&D, so that's a typical wait. Second time, same thing. I raised some noise so they brought in a poor quality machine (but only after two hours) which my OB tried to operate but couldn't see much beyond the breathing babies.

I am just worried if this is how it's going to be in future for the remainder of my term. If I leave the hospital, I may need to leave the OB. That is the nearest hospital where I live. But I will suck it up if you think this is all typical wait routine. It's just strange, but I will live with it. Anyone been through this ? I am also planning to have a good chat with my OB today.
Two hour waits no no no it doesn t sound right to me

July 3rd, 2015, 2:58 am #4

If your OB is sending you directly to the L&D floor, you should not have to wait two hours. That does not sound right.
I had several bleeds and two emergencies and was taken within 15 minutes at two different hospitals. One of them was near a beach area and the others a major center in NYC. With a high risk pregnancy, you want to have the best equipment and fast service. G-d forbid it is a real emergency, you want immediate attention. Switch to a better hospital, with the top equipment and lower wait time. Yes, I would change docs for this as well.
Good luck to you.

July 3rd, 2015, 4:57 am #5

If you're having twins you're in a higher risk category.. Maybe you've already done this, but you should use whichever hospital has the highest level nicu. Level 4 nicu's can treat the sickest babies. Most sick babies who are born in a level 1 hospital will be transferred to a higher level hospital where you might stay in the level 1 hospital in which you delivered. So if you are having twins (or more) you should find the highest level NICU hospital and plan on delivering there just in case you deliver early. You'll want to be near them!

It doesn't sound like your hospital with the 1 u/s machine that has to be moved all over the place ranks very high.

Best of luck

July 3rd, 2015, 1:55 pm #6

Are you seeing a high risk OB or just a regular OB? If seeing a high risk he should send you to a hospital that deals with high risk pregnancies and has at least a Level 3 NICU.

B

July 6th, 2015, 3:00 am #7

That's not workable for a twin pregnancy. This is a reputed hospital? I just don't see how that situation could be occurring unless it's upheaval around the building being new? Agree with others that you need the highest level NICU that your area affords. Only one U/S between ER and L&D? I can imagine that at a community hospital, maybe. Is this a rural area? You'll probably be fine, but if you're not, it will be a matter of life and death for your babies. Take care, Maggie (in VA)