Does PGS differ from PGD? I am so confused...?

Does PGS differ from PGD? I am so confused...?

Cherry
Cherry

September 24th, 2010, 6:53 pm #1

I read something that said PGS checks all 24 chromosomes but that it takes up to 5 days so that couples would have to freeze their embryos. I am trying to figure out if I could PGS my embryos that were frozen on day 5...

Cherry
Cherry

September 24th, 2010, 7:02 pm #2

looks like they would have to unfreeze, take a sample and then refreeze the embryos to wait for the results. Probably end up with nothing left after all that freezing and refreezing. Shoot - wish I had know about this when we did the fresh cycle.

W
W

September 24th, 2010, 9:40 pm #3

PGS stands for Preimplantation Genetic Screening and the tests that do fall under this heading would be those such as PGD, FISH, and CGH.

actually we are doing this very thing, testing all 23 chromosomes, and I was quoted 98% survival upon thawing, then biopsy, then freeze again, and 98% survival after the second thaw. where I am, they have had very good results (BFPs) with this double vitrification/test situation, but not many have actually attempted this, so no officially quoted rates. all I know is that so far they feel the results are promising. of course there are lots of varying opinions to be found on the Internet, from the many things I have read myself. only time will tell if our decision will have been a good one.

GL,

W

Cherry
Cherry

September 24th, 2010, 10:28 pm #4

I talked to my RE about it and he gave me the impression that it would be very risky for us to thaw, test, freeze and thaw. My clinic had great fresh DE pg rates the year we did it - they were like 75% pg but their FET's are only 47% pg. rate. We just did an FET (BFN) and they had to thaw 9 of our embryos to get 2 good ones - 5 died altogether and we had two others that lived but were not what they considered "good". I could kick myself for not having genetic testing on the remainder of our embryos before they were frozen....but oh yeah - they didn't tell us about it. I wish I could move our embies some place else, but I suspect the initial freezing has a lot to do with the success rates and nothing I can do to change that. ARGH.

Good luck to you! Your embryo testing sounds very promising.