DHA vitamins

DHA vitamins

Brigid
Brigid

May 4th, 2011, 3:47 pm #1

I bought some new prenatal vitamins that contain DHA. I know DHA is important for infants, but the packaging on the vitamins was saying it's good for developing fetuses, as well. Anyway, the vitamins are making me burp, which is quite unpleasant. It tastes like eggs. Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone know if DHA is worth taking? I don't know if it's the DHA, or just these particular vitamins that cause the burping. The DHA is actually a seperate vitamin that's a capsule filled with oil. There were several different brands of prenatal vitamins with it, so it must be the newest thing to try to attract consumers.

Skye
Skye

May 5th, 2011, 2:22 am #2

I started taking DHA along with prenatals prior to my first IVF cycle at the recommendation of my RE and have continued taking it through my DE cycle and into pregnancy. It is supposed to be beneficial for brain development.

If you want to keep taking it, you could try switching brands. Many DHA supplements are sourced from fish oil and can lead to fishy burps. You can find ones separate from the prenatal vitamins. I take a vegetarian version that is made from algae and don't have any aftertaste. One batch I had recently though I think had gone rancid, so it did have a weird taste. If ind keeping it in the refrigerator helps.

rugie
rugie

May 5th, 2011, 1:31 pm #3

I bought some new prenatal vitamins that contain DHA. I know DHA is important for infants, but the packaging on the vitamins was saying it's good for developing fetuses, as well. Anyway, the vitamins are making me burp, which is quite unpleasant. It tastes like eggs. Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone know if DHA is worth taking? I don't know if it's the DHA, or just these particular vitamins that cause the burping. The DHA is actually a seperate vitamin that's a capsule filled with oil. There were several different brands of prenatal vitamins with it, so it must be the newest thing to try to attract consumers.
For both my pregnancies I had the prescription prenatal - citral natal. Little pricey, with insurance it was $50 a month. It has the separate dha capsule. I think it is very worth it to take this kind of vitamin. Both my babies turned out very healthy, passed all their tests, APGARs were great and my 4 yr old is way smarter than her age. Can I guarantee it was helped with the vitamin...no. Do I believe I gave it my best shot...yes. Not that a regular prenatal isn't good enough because it is...but I liked the DHA addition.

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 18th, 2011, 7:39 am #4

It's an omega 3 that is good for heart and brain development. It's found naturally in breast milk. Since a fetus is developing it's heart and brain, I would say it's worth taking.