dh on board...please some Shady Grove info?

dh on board...please some Shady Grove info?

rsg
rsg

November 7th, 2010, 8:05 pm #1

Hi everyone!
I am getting ready to start the actual process after a long delay, and would love to hear any advice or even what to do first if going through SG.
Could you tell me what testing (besides the usual infectious blood panel, pap, mammo) tests that they need in advance?
Someone mentioned a lining test?
Also if you have went there...anything you wish you would have done differently? Would do the same? Any recommendations please
I cannot tell you how much it would mean to me to hear from you girls!!!
I am getting nervous. My dh is now officially on board, and as nervous as I am I just need some of your advice
Thanks!!!

November 7th, 2010, 9:08 pm #2

There are a few of us that have used SG. I am not sure if there is anybody who regularly posts who has already their baby but there are some of us who are pregnant right now. I am sure others will respond but here is my story.

Used to live in FL and did DE there -- 2 fresh and 1 FET. 1 BFP but missed m/c at 9w2d. We decided to take a break and the only way DH would try again (after spending $40,000 in FL on 2 single recipient cycles and getting very low egg counts from both) would be to do a shared risk program so SG was it. By this time we lived in the DC area.

So in the middle of our planned 4-5 month planned TTC break, I set up a consult with an RE at SG. We talked about what I needed to do. They also gave me a temporary code to look at the then current donors. One thing I note here is that SG donors can turn over quickly. We saw a few we liked so both DH and I were on board. During the 2nd half of the planned break we did all the things we needed to do -- my physical (including ekg due to my age), pap smear, mammogram, infectious disease for both DH and me, other b/w for me, SA for DH, HSG and a few more things including a financial meeting -- basically a meeting to go over their varisous plans. I did not have to do a mock cycle because I had my files from my previous clinic and my part/my lining was never an issue (in 3 DE cycles, 1 OE IVF and 3 IUIs I never had any lining issues and everything was clockwork for me -- my only issue was old eggs). Have you had a consult and told them you want to proceed? If so, they should be sending you a list of all the things you need to do. Are you local? I dealt with a women named Tammi and she would follow up every so often to see how I was proceeding. So finished our tasks and got approved for the 1:3 shared risk cycle in mid-September 2009 and got the official code to select a donor. We received the code from Alethia who is the donor coordinator. Our donor filled fast and we were supposed to start meds around late October but the donor went AWOL. We selected a 2nd donor and were lucky enough to be the primary recipient but we could not cycle until January 2010 since it takes time to synch 3 recipents and a donor and SG closes for a week at the holidays. I can't remember when but at some point after selecting the donor and before I started the meds, my point of contact changed to the nurse. Once the 3 recipients are set, the nurse becomes the one assigned to the primary recipient. I was the primary recipient so the nurse I had been dealing with on my earlier non-cycle was the nurse for everybody in my cycle. I had her phone number and email address and did not hesitate to use either. I always got a response back within 24 hours but usually within 3-4. She updated me as the donor stimmed and then called upoin ER. Also we used DH's rozen sperm even though we lived in the area -- we had no idea which day ER was going to be and DH's job was not the most flexible -- it was just easier for him to make his deposit in advance and SG has no issues with that.

So with 21 mature eggs retrieved, each recipient got 7 eggs. 6 of mine fertilized, 2 tx on Day 3 -- BFN. 2 months later, we tx the 2 6-day blasts that made it to freeze and thaw. 1 took and I am 37 weeks pregnant with a little girl. I get induced 2 weeks from tomorrow.

SG was definitely right for us -- other clinics and agencies may have more of selection but (A) SG's pool turns over quickly since they do some many cycles and (B) the peace of mind that we would get our money back if we did not take home a live baby in 6 tries was the best thing for us.

Good luck with everything and please let me know if you have any additional questions.

November 8th, 2010, 1:11 pm #3

Hi everyone!
I am getting ready to start the actual process after a long delay, and would love to hear any advice or even what to do first if going through SG.
Could you tell me what testing (besides the usual infectious blood panel, pap, mammo) tests that they need in advance?
Also if you have went there...anything you wish you would have done differently? Would do the same? Any recommendations please
I am getting nervous. My dh is now officially on board, and as nervous as I am I just need some of your advice
Thanks!!!
I'm also an SG patient. The only thing I wish I could change was that I started with them 2 years ago... Unfortuantely I believed I would be one of the lucky ones and get a + on my first cycle. LOL! Not so much!

It took me a little longer to get started with them than most, as I had surgery in June this year and that delayed me from doing the mock cycle. But it takes about 3-6 months from consult to cycling. The mock cycle is very easy. I am an out of country patient and I found them very easy to work with. My clinic (local) is so impressed with everything, that they are now recomending them to other patients that are in similar situations.

The donor pool wasn't as large as I would have wanted but that was also because of the time of year we were looking. We started the donor selection right at the end of the summer. And it seems to me there are more donors available through out the winter and spring months.

But the main reason we went there was the money back program. I can't tell you the amount of stress and pressure that took off of me for this to work. I was so much more relaxed this time. My last 2 cycles I was a crying, tense mess, because I knew the financial ramifications of it not working.

I have been very happy with everything to date with them. They will go over everything with you at each level (almost too many times!), but it is good because you are left feeling confident. They are very much all business there and that is quite fine. Good Luck! I hope you and your DH can get in there and get a consult done. Get your own feel for them.

All my best to you!

ks

Me - 32 yrs
DH - 33 yrs (perfect)
TTC #1 - 5 yrs
DX: Hashimoto Thyroiditis / high fsh / blocked tubes
Highest FSH 72
Lowest 3.5
Highest E2 - 1400
DE #1 (vitrified eggs due to complications) -
FET #1 - Nov 2009 BFN
FET #2 - Jan 2010 BFN
Tubeless May 2010
July 2010 - Donor Selected! Woot! Woot!
DE #2 - Oct 2010 BFP

rsg
rsg

November 8th, 2010, 6:40 pm #4

There are a few of us that have used SG. I am not sure if there is anybody who regularly posts who has already their baby but there are some of us who are pregnant right now. I am sure others will respond but here is my story.

Used to live in FL and did DE there -- 2 fresh and 1 FET. 1 BFP but missed m/c at 9w2d. We decided to take a break and the only way DH would try again (after spending $40,000 in FL on 2 single recipient cycles and getting very low egg counts from both) would be to do a shared risk program so SG was it. By this time we lived in the DC area.

So in the middle of our planned 4-5 month planned TTC break, I set up a consult with an RE at SG. We talked about what I needed to do. They also gave me a temporary code to look at the then current donors. One thing I note here is that SG donors can turn over quickly. We saw a few we liked so both DH and I were on board. During the 2nd half of the planned break we did all the things we needed to do -- my physical (including ekg due to my age), pap smear, mammogram, infectious disease for both DH and me, other b/w for me, SA for DH, HSG and a few more things including a financial meeting -- basically a meeting to go over their varisous plans. I did not have to do a mock cycle because I had my files from my previous clinic and my part/my lining was never an issue (in 3 DE cycles, 1 OE IVF and 3 IUIs I never had any lining issues and everything was clockwork for me -- my only issue was old eggs). Have you had a consult and told them you want to proceed? If so, they should be sending you a list of all the things you need to do. Are you local? I dealt with a women named Tammi and she would follow up every so often to see how I was proceeding. So finished our tasks and got approved for the 1:3 shared risk cycle in mid-September 2009 and got the official code to select a donor. We received the code from Alethia who is the donor coordinator. Our donor filled fast and we were supposed to start meds around late October but the donor went AWOL. We selected a 2nd donor and were lucky enough to be the primary recipient but we could not cycle until January 2010 since it takes time to synch 3 recipents and a donor and SG closes for a week at the holidays. I can't remember when but at some point after selecting the donor and before I started the meds, my point of contact changed to the nurse. Once the 3 recipients are set, the nurse becomes the one assigned to the primary recipient. I was the primary recipient so the nurse I had been dealing with on my earlier non-cycle was the nurse for everybody in my cycle. I had her phone number and email address and did not hesitate to use either. I always got a response back within 24 hours but usually within 3-4. She updated me as the donor stimmed and then called upoin ER. Also we used DH's rozen sperm even though we lived in the area -- we had no idea which day ER was going to be and DH's job was not the most flexible -- it was just easier for him to make his deposit in advance and SG has no issues with that.

So with 21 mature eggs retrieved, each recipient got 7 eggs. 6 of mine fertilized, 2 tx on Day 3 -- BFN. 2 months later, we tx the 2 6-day blasts that made it to freeze and thaw. 1 took and I am 37 weeks pregnant with a little girl. I get induced 2 weeks from tomorrow.

SG was definitely right for us -- other clinics and agencies may have more of selection but (A) SG's pool turns over quickly since they do some many cycles and (B) the peace of mind that we would get our money back if we did not take home a live baby in 6 tries was the best thing for us.

Good luck with everything and please let me know if you have any additional questions.
First though Congrats!!! Thanks you so so much for the reply. The info was what I needed!
I am glad it worked for you.
I do have all of my paperwork(a ton) from a couple of the clinics I have been to, but that was with my o/e I do not think I had a lining issue...just fibroids, which I then had a couple removed...also old eggs.
I was going to go with the Dr that removed the fibroids, but SG seems to offer so much more. I even like the website...so much more info, resources etc!
I also am very appreciative that you said I can ask more questions to you.
I will take you up on that.
I would be an out-of-towner, but I read on there last night that they do deal with a lot of us.
I am just worried that the fibroids might have come back or I should say I am just worried in general, because it has taken so long to get to this point.
Thanks again my friend, and I hope I get lucky there as well

rsg
rsg

November 8th, 2010, 6:43 pm #5

I'm also an SG patient. The only thing I wish I could change was that I started with them 2 years ago... Unfortuantely I believed I would be one of the lucky ones and get a + on my first cycle. LOL! Not so much!

It took me a little longer to get started with them than most, as I had surgery in June this year and that delayed me from doing the mock cycle. But it takes about 3-6 months from consult to cycling. The mock cycle is very easy. I am an out of country patient and I found them very easy to work with. My clinic (local) is so impressed with everything, that they are now recomending them to other patients that are in similar situations.

The donor pool wasn't as large as I would have wanted but that was also because of the time of year we were looking. We started the donor selection right at the end of the summer. And it seems to me there are more donors available through out the winter and spring months.

But the main reason we went there was the money back program. I can't tell you the amount of stress and pressure that took off of me for this to work. I was so much more relaxed this time. My last 2 cycles I was a crying, tense mess, because I knew the financial ramifications of it not working.

I have been very happy with everything to date with them. They will go over everything with you at each level (almost too many times!), but it is good because you are left feeling confident. They are very much all business there and that is quite fine. Good Luck! I hope you and your DH can get in there and get a consult done. Get your own feel for them.

All my best to you!

ks

Me - 32 yrs
DH - 33 yrs (perfect)
TTC #1 - 5 yrs
DX: Hashimoto Thyroiditis / high fsh / blocked tubes
Highest FSH 72
Lowest 3.5
Highest E2 - 1400
DE #1 (vitrified eggs due to complications) -
FET #1 - Nov 2009 BFN
FET #2 - Jan 2010 BFN
Tubeless May 2010
July 2010 - Donor Selected! Woot! Woot!
DE #2 - Oct 2010 BFP
Congrats to you! I like you...have bad eggs, but way older than you. I am jealous of your young age, but still happy for you just the same
I cannot keep beating myself up for being older now!
Thanks so very much for the reply and I am so glad it has worked in your favor, and hope it does in mine as well

November 9th, 2010, 2:01 am #6

Hi everyone!
Thanks!!!
We are in the Shared Risk/Split Cycle program at SG and have been very happy with them so far. My biggest piece of advice is to be patient with the donor database. When I first looked at it, I was disappointed by the donors to choose from. I found that as I watched the database for a week or so, new ones were always being added who sometimes had more of the qualities I was looking for. I ended up finding a donor who is a great match for us, and I selected her within an hour of her being added to the database. We are in the 1:2 program, and our match was complete within the day. So, I mainly just wanted to say not to get too caught up in the donors who are listed right when you get access since there will be more coming.

I wish you the best!

November 9th, 2010, 2:47 am #7

I had a few questions for you myself regarding Shady Grove (I hope that I am not barging in, just looking for some answers to help us make a better informed decision). I actually called the clinic today to inquire about the program, because I have heard so many great stories of success on this board. I feel like I sound redundant, because I have put this information on several threads, but just so you know what I am dealing with, my donor was going through the final approval process and signing her contract when she pulled out of the program 2 weeks ago. I was already on Lupron for nearly 2 weeks, and was set to start the estrogen patches when she withdrew. My hubby and I are trying to regroup, and I am looking at all kinds of options. The reason, the clinic where we are working does not have a lot of donors with our ethnic makeup, although I believe it is a pretty common background, but for some reason, they just don't have a large selection of the grouping. We have been in search of our own donor (via Craigslist and college campuses) for nearly the past week, and although we know it may take some time to find a new donor, we are just interested in getting things going as soon as possible. So we are wondering if SG might be a possibility for us.

That's where Shady Grove came into the picture. I know that the database turns over frequently, so I think there would be a great chance that a suitable donor would become available quickly, and possibly more quickly than through the methods we are currently using to find a donor. I have also found that now that we are not currently cycling that our phone calls have taken a back seat to the oocyte coordinator, which is interesting, considering that the clinic still has our money. I know things get busy, but not being able to get a return phone call since 2 Fridays ago...really?

So I am wondering how responsive SG is to clients. We also live out of state from the clinic and would have to travel in for treatments.
know you have 6 tries to have a baby, but how did you find that your out of state cycle worked logistically? How did that work with your local clinic in Florida? Did you have your pregnancy test with local clinic or did you go to SG? You had said that you had 2 Fresh and 1 FET at SG. Were those single cycles? Since you had to travel to SG for each transfer, I am wondering how far apart those transfers were. What made you decide to stick with SG for your shared risk program? What does the clinic consider 6 cycles? If for some reason none of your 6 embryos took, what would you have been able to do based on the shared risk program? Would you have been able to do another fresh cycle, or would you have tried the other 2 FEs? I am just trying to figure out the possibilities of the 6 cycles.

Also a huge congratulations on your BFP! I wish you the best for an uneventful, easy, beautiful pregnancy and delivery.

Again, sorry to jump into your conversation, but you and the other ladies had such great information and stories regarding the clinic, that I wanted to find out more.

rsg
rsg

November 9th, 2010, 4:23 pm #8

We are in the Shared Risk/Split Cycle program at SG and have been very happy with them so far. My biggest piece of advice is to be patient with the donor database. When I first looked at it, I was disappointed by the donors to choose from. I found that as I watched the database for a week or so, new ones were always being added who sometimes had more of the qualities I was looking for. I ended up finding a donor who is a great match for us, and I selected her within an hour of her being added to the database. We are in the 1:2 program, and our match was complete within the day. So, I mainly just wanted to say not to get too caught up in the donors who are listed right when you get access since there will be more coming.

I wish you the best!
I appreciate the advice, and being the impatient person I am....I will try my best to keep that advice in mind lol
All the best to the SG girls...and of course all of the wonderful ladies here on this board in general!!!