choosing donor

choosing donor

Mel
Mel

July 4th, 2012, 7:40 pm #1

I don't know much about AMH, but is 3.0 good in an unproven donor? We have narrowed it down to two and the other is proven, but much more expensive. When I was testing for all of my cycles using own eggs years ago, only thing I really understand is FSH:)

HappyBean
HappyBean

July 4th, 2012, 8:16 pm #2

Normal/healthy is 1 to 3, with 3 being the best/most fertile. Good luck!

Dee
Dee

July 4th, 2012, 8:51 pm #3

I don't know much about AMH, but is 3.0 good in an unproven donor? We have narrowed it down to two and the other is proven, but much more expensive. When I was testing for all of my cycles using own eggs years ago, only thing I really understand is FSH:)
I have not heard of that.

July 5th, 2012, 12:44 am #4

on the type of test being done. There are several methods being used to measure AMH and the "normal" ranges vary depending on the type of test the lab performs... Ask to see the results, which should have the laboratory standards printed on the report. Either way, I think 3.0 is considered either satisfactory or good.

Dee, AMH is anti-mullerian hormone, which is a hormone produced directly by the ovarian follicles and correlates with the number of antral follicles in the ovaries.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 5th, 2012, 9:51 am #5

leigh, how many antral follicles would a person have if there amh was 0.33? Thanks

DeeiNYC
DeeiNYC

July 5th, 2012, 1:38 pm #6

I have not heard of that.
These days, this is what most clinics are looking at in terms of assessing ovarian reserve as well as FSH. Some say it's better. Here is a link from one of my favorite websites explaining what it is:

http://www.advancedfertility.com/amh-fertility-test.htm

July 5th, 2012, 2:54 pm #7

leigh, how many antral follicles would a person have if there amh was 0.33? Thanks
My FSH was normal, though on the higher end (though I failed the clomid challenge test), my periods were regular like clockwork, and I ovulated every month - but my RE finally tested AMH and it was .8 (if I remember correctly) - due to that being low and failing the CCT he said my chances of having a healthy baby with my own eggs were less than 5% and so we immediately moved on to DE.

Mel
Mel

July 5th, 2012, 5:47 pm #8

on the type of test being done. There are several methods being used to measure AMH and the "normal" ranges vary depending on the type of test the lab performs... Ask to see the results, which should have the laboratory standards printed on the report. Either way, I think 3.0 is considered either satisfactory or good.

Dee, AMH is anti-mullerian hormone, which is a hormone produced directly by the ovarian follicles and correlates with the number of antral follicles in the ovaries.
That being said, is it worth the extra money to go with a proven donor with excellent quality eggs and an ongoing twin pregnancy in another couple who had a lot frozen from that cycle. Or would it be worth saving the money with someone with AMH of 3.0 which the RE and donor agency are claiming is excellent and not to worry about it?

July 5th, 2012, 7:39 pm #9

..with green elephant. Again, it totally depends on the type of test being done (i.e. the exact type of procedure used to measure AMH), but either way, 0.33 is not good.

Here's one common range (this is what my clinic uses):

High (often PCOS) - Over 3.0 ng/ml
Normal - Over 1.0 ng/ml
Low Normal Range - 0.7 - 0.9 ng/ml
Low - 0.3 - 0.6 ng/ml
Very Low - Less than 0.3 ng/ml

And here's another:

High Level over 6.8 ng/mL
Optimal Fertility 4.0 - 6.8 ng/mL
Satisfactory Fertility 2.2 - 4.0 ng/mL
Low Fertility 0.3 - 2.2 ng/mL
Very Low / undetectable 0.0 - 0.3 ng/mL

My AMH was undetectable and I had zero resting follicles, so that's really the only AMH experience I have. I've done a lot of reading on the test since joining this board and realizing there are several different methods used for testing...

July 5th, 2012, 7:45 pm #10

That being said, is it worth the extra money to go with a proven donor with excellent quality eggs and an ongoing twin pregnancy in another couple who had a lot frozen from that cycle. Or would it be worth saving the money with someone with AMH of 3.0 which the RE and donor agency are claiming is excellent and not to worry about it?
..you'd probably be fine either way. An AMH of 3.0 is good, regardless of the type of test being used. Many, many people on this board would tell you to go with the proven donor, and for some, this is the only thing that's worked. In my own experience, our donor had excellent stats for FSH, AMH and resting follicle count, but was unproven in every way (never donated before, no children of her own, etc..). In the end, she gave us 7 perfect embryos and 3 good ones. I know we got lucky, but I also trusted my RE's instincts - the clinic has a very high success rate - and decided that being a proven donor wasn't the only way...

Good luck with your decision - it's such a stressful one!