beta tomorrow- question about what next?

beta tomorrow- question about what next?

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 27th, 2011, 2:19 pm #1

Hi everyone
I posted on Fri worried about faint lines on HPTs - thanks again for all of your positive answers! I'm still getting faint lines (yes, I've POAS every day since Fri ), but I have my beta tomorrow. If it looks good, my clinic said it won't want to do any further testing-- in fact, they discouraged it -- and I was wondering about this.

I noticed reading through this board and others that some clinics seem to have women going in several times for follow ups. Do you also have blood work done, too? Basically, I get the sense that my clinic is very hands off (I'm in the UK, and this could be a UK thing, I think- I'm American). Should i be pressing for more follow up?

March 27th, 2011, 2:43 pm #2

If so, I would ask for a progesterone check at the same time as your beta, just to make sure levels are ok.

Normal procedure is to follow up with a second beta (at same clinic) 48 hours later to see whether doubling/increasing normally (but it does depend on the clinic).

Then you need to see your GP to be assigned a midwife and choose a hospital to have your baby etc. Basically, if you are having NHS maternity care, I would register with your GP asap.

Then it is up to you whether you pay privately for another scan at approx. 7 weeks to see/check heartbeat/progress? NHS does not give you a scan until 8 - 12 weeks normally, so you may want to pay to have one before for peace of mind.

Here is a link to NHS maternity care...

http://www.nhs.uk/Planners/pregnancycar ... visit.aspx

Best of luck,
Daisy
xxxx

P.S. You are right, even private clinics are very hands off in the UK. They normally only see you for 1 or 2 beta tests and then you are discharged into the NHS or private maternity care.
Last edited by loochieuk on March 27th, 2011, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 27th, 2011, 3:20 pm #3

Hi everyone
I posted on Fri worried about faint lines on HPTs - thanks again for all of your positive answers! I'm still getting faint lines (yes, I've POAS every day since Fri ), but I have my beta tomorrow. If it looks good, my clinic said it won't want to do any further testing-- in fact, they discouraged it -- and I was wondering about this.

I noticed reading through this board and others that some clinics seem to have women going in several times for follow ups. Do you also have blood work done, too? Basically, I get the sense that my clinic is very hands off (I'm in the UK, and this could be a UK thing, I think- I'm American). Should i be pressing for more follow up?
And they only ever did one beta where I was too. Here in Asia is also only one beta but you can request more - you just have to pay. Good luck. waiting for the good news.

March 27th, 2011, 4:46 pm #4

So agreeing with E&H that you will have to pay unfortunately!
Daisy
x
Last edited by loochieuk on March 27th, 2011, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 27th, 2011, 7:10 pm #5

and previous OE cycles too....we're in deep, in other words, and a few more tests won't make much difference (sadly)!

I'll definitely ask for progesterone tomorrow with the beta. The egg donation coordinator at my (private) clinic told me they didn't do follow-up betas because they think they're needlessly stressful and can't do anything with the results anyway. Does this sound right?

They will do an early ultrasound scan (to check for a heartbeat, I think), and then I'll be turned over to the NHS.

E&H
E&H

March 27th, 2011, 11:56 pm #6

But after being on these boards and the USA ladies doing two betas I insisted. Good luck.