BC (Canada) Supreme Court strikes down anonymity for donors

BC (Canada) Supreme Court strikes down anonymity for donors

Anon
Anon

May 19th, 2011, 10:50 pm #1

I wonder if other Canadian provinces will follow suit?

What are the implications for donors that are from the US but the child/clinic is in Canada?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le2028641/

Anon
Anon

May 20th, 2011, 12:29 am #2

I thought DE was illegal in Canada, no?

I can understand why a person would want to know who their sperm or egg donor was, but these people need to know that the donor is not, and never was, their "parent". Although I do understand the curiosity.

Hope2009
Hope2009

May 20th, 2011, 3:39 am #3

What are the implications for donors that are from the US but the child/clinic is in Canada?

a young woman who was conceived using DS has won her Supreme Court case now making it illegal to use anon DS or DE's. The clinic we worked with...and two others I contacted on the West Coast..in Vancouver required that the egg donors be 'known' so this isn't even an issue for DE's..at least in the clinics in BC I contacted.

DE is not illegal in Canada....but under the current legislation you can not compensate the known donors for their services...that is the illegal part. We can however pay expenses pertaining to the cycle itself. When we were thinking of first doing a DE cycle we seriously contemplated going down to Seattle WA and working with one of the clinics that had in house donors however in the end I'm really glad that we chose to stay in Canada and I'm really glad that we got to know our donor...I have so much to tell our children some day and know how to reach our donor if they choose to ever meet her.

In the news report they said that it was unfair that children who are adopted are able to access records to their genetically linked parents but using the DS and DE process up to now didn't provide the same access. As far as bringing US donors to Canada to cycle...well I know that our clinic still would require that we 'know' the out of country donor...it's part of the process and they keep these records as well.

I hope this helps to clear this up....guess this wouldn't be good if you were wanted an anon donor and were also no tell but worked for us.

Blessings from Hope

May 20th, 2011, 7:46 pm #4

My understanding is that where anonymity is abolished by law, the donation rate goes down dramatically. And since compensated donation is illegal in Canada, I expect that this will probably pretty much be the end of donor gamete treatment in Canada, except for within families. Maggie (in VA)

Anon
Anon

May 20th, 2011, 8:23 pm #5

Yes, what above poster said is true. This will pretty much end gamete donation period, in Canada.

my guess is that a certain percentage of donor-conceived children, who lobby for an end to anonymous donation, may themselves be in need of a donor some day. So they may regret having fought for all these strict laws regarding gamete donation. Its a double-edged sword that cuts both ways.

Catherine
Catherine

May 21st, 2011, 3:51 am #6

My understanding is that where anonymity is abolished by law, the donation rate goes down dramatically. And since compensated donation is illegal in Canada, I expect that this will probably pretty much be the end of donor gamete treatment in Canada, except for within families. Maggie (in VA)
Donor anonymity was ended here a few years ago. Initially the donation rate went down, but after a couple of years it was back to about the same level. Donors here receive only a nominal fee and compensation for expenses.