BBG

BBG

March 29th, 2012, 5:25 pm #1

Chatted with my SIL who had milk sippy issues a few years ago. VERY strong headed boy, still is.

She said she had to go cold turkey. No more bottles. It was a VERY hard few days and a long week but he eventually stopped fighting it and took his milk via sippy. She did put all sorts of stickers on the milk sippy and didn't force it. Just kept filling it up and putting it out for him to choose it. He finally broke down on day 2 and had a bit here and there and would throw it at protest after a few drinks etc. She said on day 5 she totally remembers and has a photo of him hiding behind their lazy boy chair, taking secret milk drinks ...like he didn't want to admit he caved and maybe mommy knew best. SHe said yes it was hard but he learned to unscrew the bottle and that was the last straw!

March 29th, 2012, 6:01 pm #2

Yesterday evening, HG took the sippy with milk and BA was watching him furtively. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw him pick it up and put it in his mouth. I resolved not to say a word. But I glanced over at him reflexively, he saw me, and pulled that sippy out of his mouth in a flash and threw it! Bwahahaaaa!! WHAT is going on their little minds? He perceives this as a battle that he doesn't want me to win. It's so odd.

Okay last night I caved and gave them their night bottle and then again this morning, their morning bottle (ugh), but I am not giving them ANY bottles during the day. None. So he is going to have to deal with it. I will have to decide whether to go cold turkey again. It is really hard to endure. They are fussy because they are hungry and want the milk, not food. Sigh.

March 29th, 2012, 6:20 pm #3

I think you will have to go cold turkey, I would tell them the bottles are all gone (and make sure they don't see any!). It will be some tough days but you can win! Dispassion is the key, you truly have to act like you don't care whether they drink it or not. And, if you can give them cheese and yogurt I don't think a week with little or no milk would be a problem.

My 19 mo old drinks her milk out of sippies but we switched around a year so it was easier. But she has a serious addiction to milk that we have to manage, she would just drink milk if it were up to her! So I dole it out in small bits so she thinks she is getting more.

But it is a total mind game at this age, the minute she perceives I really want her to do something then of course she doesn't want to do it! The tantrums are spectacular! GL

jkl

March 29th, 2012, 6:35 pm #4

And yeah, the tantrums ARE spectacular. Wow.

March 29th, 2012, 7:31 pm #5

We have already shown the twins some of their best work...they laugh and ask questions like it is not them and some other kid. Priceless really.

Yeah it is so a battle of me vs mom - NOT bottle vs sippy. I think you saw this for yourself today and what my SIL says agrees. It will be nasty but it will be ok, it will be ok! Repeat and smile. Dont make it a big deal and yes give them yogurt and cheese etc. I remember putting milk in their scrambled eggs and yogurt for the few days the twins were transitioning. Oh and a sippy of red wine for mommy to deal! haha!