Ariadne, Cotton, and Minniet

Ariadne, Cotton, and Minniet

Bharani
Bharani

January 11th, 2012, 11:54 pm #1

Hi ladies,

Ariadne: I did two types I don't know if I can spell correctly: sonohystogram and salin- (the one they use to check the tubes). But I want to add the hysterscopy.Do you think it will help? The doctor asked if I did one and I responded yes, but what I did are the other once not hysterscopy.

I think Ariadne and Cotton, you became successful in achieving your goal. What regiments or medicine were you on to combat immune or to be succesful? I will order now proxeed for dh. I hope it will fix the problem we have.

Minniet: Any regiment you are on?

Thank you

January 12th, 2012, 12:27 am #2

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think you need both a sonohysterogram (also referred to as a saline sonogram) AND a hysteroscopy. i had a saline sono after an early m/c and it showed that i had two polyps. i had them removed and one of them was half polyp / half "product of conception" which means one of the embryos tried to implant on the polyp. from there i went into a new DE cycle and got pregnant with DS. i've had a saline sonogram before every DE cycle since. i believe the saline sonogram is the "gold standard" and more thorough than the hysteroscopy. at least that has been my experience. it can find things that may not be found with a hysteroscopy. it also sort of cleans you out, which is nice to do before a cycle.

i did the basic "immune cocktail" of lovenox, baby aspirin and folgard. in addition, dr johnathan scher also had me on dexamethasone (a steroid to suppress b-cells) and glucophage (for a slight insulin resistance) but ultimately, i didn't stay on with him as a doctor. he was very expensive and a little too quirky for me. i took all of my information to an RI who was recommended by my RE and she had me on only the immune cocktail. there were no issues with my DH's sperm, so we ruled that out as a factor.

EVENTUALLY, yes, i did have success. i have a 3 yr old and i'm pregnant now with #2. the immune protocol started when i was still using my own eggs and then i used it with my DE cycles, as well. i did 7 DE cycles (fresh and FET) and only two worked. so i'm not like some women who went on the immune protocol and got pregnant with their next cycle.

you are on a good path, bharani, you are educating yourself and making sure you cover all your bases. it's really all you can do.

minniet
minniet

January 12th, 2012, 1:37 am #3

Hi ladies,

Ariadne: I did two types I don't know if I can spell correctly: sonohystogram and salin- (the one they use to check the tubes). But I want to add the hysterscopy.Do you think it will help? The doctor asked if I did one and I responded yes, but what I did are the other once not hysterscopy.

I think Ariadne and Cotton, you became successful in achieving your goal. What regiments or medicine were you on to combat immune or to be succesful? I will order now proxeed for dh. I hope it will fix the problem we have.

Thank you
If you have had a hysterosalpingram and they saw NOTHING wrong, and you have not had any D&Cs, then you MAY be OK doing no further investigation. I had several hysterosalpingrams "OK" but when we decided to have a "small polyp" removed to be sure, it turned out to be a very large fibroid and septum, both in a bad place in the uterus.

I will share my protocol as soon as I get it -- they just got my thrombophilia panel back and the RE will review it and put me on one of his regimens to address my problems.

I have MTHR, Factor V, Factor VIII, and several other thrombophilia disorders, one APA, high NK cells, and thyroid Hashimotos, so I will probably be on some form of steroid (dec?), intralipids, Folgard or Metanx (which my nutritionist prefers), heparin or lovenox and whatever else he prescribes (those are the main things).

I will post as soon as I know more.

Hugs to you -

January 12th, 2012, 4:11 am #4

Hi ladies,

Thank you
Interesting reading cotton's comment about the saline hysterosonogram vs. the hysteroscopy. I was just going to direct you to a thread on the Over 40 board where posters say the opposite - that the hysteroscopy is more accurate. I don't know what the ultimate right answer is, but a poster there said the saline hysterosonogram missed problems the hysteroscopy caught. I suppose to be honest, I would want it done in the event it is more accurate & b/c you're really searching for answers at this point. But that's me & I'm admittedly (cotton knows this firsthand!) on the more paranoid side in terms of ruling out issues & looking for answers.

I had an HSG with a local ob/gyn as an initial infertility work-up & then I had a hysteroscopy as part of my initial work-up with my 1st ivf clinic, several months after the HSG. They did not make me repeat either after my BFN & my next 2 clinics didn't have me repeat either. However, after I had my 1st child in 2007, my RE had me do the saline hysterosonogram prior to clearing me to cycle for #2 in 2009.

Yes, I have 2 children now, both via DE, born in 2007 & 2010.

For dh, we did no treatment. We did natural fertilization with our 1st DE cycle. Fert. was only 65% & we subsequently ruled out sperm dna fragmentation & his karyotyping result was normal, so we did ISCI the next 2 fresh DE cycles & fert. was 100%.

My history, as brief as I can make it:

2005 - DE cycle #1 - proven donor - nothing special but they did prescribe Medrol (a steroid), baby aspirin, & antibiotics right around ET. I can't remember the details but nothing stood out in routine testing, according to them, so these things were routine in their practice rather than responsive to any issues I had. Looking back, I would see I had an elevated ANA reading, speckled pattern but they denied that meant anything. BFN.

2006 - DE cycle #2 - new immune-issue friendly clinic - new, unproven donor - Lovenox, Folgard, & baby aspirin for MTHFR plus dexamethasone (steroid) & a low dose of IVIG the day before ET for high NKs. BFN.

2006 - FET #1 - Lovenox, Folgard, baby aspirin plus Humira "just because" - not thrilled about that in hindsight but I didn't know better then. No test indicated Humira was needed. No IVIG b/c told NKs normal. Later learned they were borderline high. BFN. Pushed RE for answers on things that made no sense to me, so he said he would support a Beer Center consult.

2007 - FET #2 - 1st cycle with Beer Center doing immune treatment - Lovenox, Folgard, baby aspirin, & dexamethasone, plus IVIG 4-5 days before ET. This was a natural FETs. My NKs were borderline again. Beer Center said no IVIG needed but test NKs with + pg. test. Ever paranoid, I asked about an implantation flare & was told to do 1 IVIG 4-5 days before ET then. So I did. I was also on Lexapro for low serotonin. BFP on hpt at 7dpo. NKs tested at 8dpo were high (mid-20s per RFU scale) despite 1 IVIG & a borderline normal result prior to ET. I did IVIG every 3 wks. until 16 wks. of pg. & then again at 31 wks. & 34 wks.

2009 - DE cycle #3 - same clinic & donor as before. Long story but short version is that in pre-cycle testing, NKs were high & cytokines were high for the 1st time. Did Humira for 2 months (4 injections, 2 wks. apart). Cytokines flared, so did 2 IVIGs, which brought everything into normal range & I was cleared to cycle. The cycle itself took several more months & relying on that normal result, I did only 1 IVIG prior to ET. I had misgivings about relying on an older test result in a fresh cycle but I ignored them & was assured by everyone NKs don't "usually" fluctuate that much in that period of time. (This ignored my concern that my body may react negatively to the drugs, but I didn't push the issue.) Again on Lovenox, Lexapro, Folgard, baby aspirin, dexamethasone. Tested for 2 more clotting mutations not tested for in 2006, but no change in the treatment for those. BFN.

I want to note here that all of my BFN cycles, I had weird & distinct symptoms during the implantation window. The 1st time, I thought it was a good sign. The 2nd time I was worried. The 3rd & 4th times, I knew it was bad news. Also, between 2006 & 2009, I did 2 endo. biopsies for NK cells. The 2nd time was at my insistence, just in case (paranoid, as I said). Normal both times.

2009 - FET #1 - another natural FET - 1 IVIG pre-ET. NKs either normal or borderline. Can't remember. Lovenox, Lexapro, Folgard, baby aspirin, dexamethasone. BFP. This began a very strange beta journey which is a different story but equally bizarre. I didn't test my NKs until about 8 wks. of pg. b/c I was told it wasn't viable. I did 1 IVIG when my betas started to rise again, but without testing. Once I finally tested, my NKs were normal. I tested every 3 wks. & then every 4 wks., but I never needed IVIG during that pg. (I did it once while pg., as previously stated, but that was when I doubted the viability, so I didn't actually test my NK levels & I have no idea what they were.)

Bharani
Bharani

January 13th, 2012, 12:22 am #5

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think you need both a sonohysterogram (also referred to as a saline sonogram) AND a hysteroscopy. i had a saline sono after an early m/c and it showed that i had two polyps. i had them removed and one of them was half polyp / half "product of conception" which means one of the embryos tried to implant on the polyp. from there i went into a new DE cycle and got pregnant with DS. i've had a saline sonogram before every DE cycle since. i believe the saline sonogram is the "gold standard" and more thorough than the hysteroscopy. at least that has been my experience. it can find things that may not be found with a hysteroscopy. it also sort of cleans you out, which is nice to do before a cycle.

i did the basic "immune cocktail" of lovenox, baby aspirin and folgard. in addition, dr johnathan scher also had me on dexamethasone (a steroid to suppress b-cells) and glucophage (for a slight insulin resistance) but ultimately, i didn't stay on with him as a doctor. he was very expensive and a little too quirky for me. i took all of my information to an RI who was recommended by my RE and she had me on only the immune cocktail. there were no issues with my DH's sperm, so we ruled that out as a factor.

EVENTUALLY, yes, i did have success. i have a 3 yr old and i'm pregnant now with #2. the immune protocol started when i was still using my own eggs and then i used it with my DE cycles, as well. i did 7 DE cycles (fresh and FET) and only two worked. so i'm not like some women who went on the immune protocol and got pregnant with their next cycle.

you are on a good path, bharani, you are educating yourself and making sure you cover all your bases. it's really all you can do.
Thanks again Cotton,
Were you on the "immune cocktail" lovenox, baby aspirin, folgard (What is this? I think I asked this question long time ago also), dexamethasone, and glucophage while you were cycling or regularly?

What did the immune doctor gave you before cycling?Any medicin to cure the immune?

Today, I got the definit answer which is negative. I carried the med till today just saying things might change and not to regret about it later.
B

Bharani
Bharani

January 13th, 2012, 12:22 am #6

Thanks again Cotton,
Were you on the "immune cocktail" lovenox, baby aspirin, folgard (What is this? I think I asked this question long time ago also), dexamethasone, and glucophage while you were cycling or regularly?

What did the immune doctor gave you before cycling?Any medicin to cure the immune?

Today, I got the definit answer which is negative. I carried the med till today just saying things might change and not to regret about it later.
B

Bharani
Bharani

January 13th, 2012, 12:33 am #7

If you have had a hysterosalpingram and they saw NOTHING wrong, and you have not had any D&Cs, then you MAY be OK doing no further investigation. I had several hysterosalpingrams "OK" but when we decided to have a "small polyp" removed to be sure, it turned out to be a very large fibroid and septum, both in a bad place in the uterus.

I will share my protocol as soon as I get it -- they just got my thrombophilia panel back and the RE will review it and put me on one of his regimens to address my problems.

I have MTHR, Factor V, Factor VIII, and several other thrombophilia disorders, one APA, high NK cells, and thyroid Hashimotos, so I will probably be on some form of steroid (dec?), intralipids, Folgard or Metanx (which my nutritionist prefers), heparin or lovenox and whatever else he prescribes (those are the main things).

I will post as soon as I know more.

Hugs to you -
I wish you all the luck. Are you going to be on this med now or while you are cycling?

When I did the salin the doctor said there is little scar on the top of the uterus but he added it is nothing to worry about it. This doctor is the one who removed my fibroid, also in the result of the salin it showed that my right tube is blocked. The doctor answer was it can happen after myomectomy and it is ok. What do you think? I will go to see him this Saturday/ Sunday. I hope he won't be unhappy about me going somewhere else to do de. I really appreciate your help. I am in the process of looking for RI. I read from internet that there are only 2 RI where I live. One of them doesn't answer phone, or fax. And the other is rheumotologist. I will go who ever takes me. Let me know please if the doctor treats before you start your cycle?

B

Bharani
Bharani

January 13th, 2012, 1:05 am #8

Interesting reading cotton's comment about the saline hysterosonogram vs. the hysteroscopy. I was just going to direct you to a thread on the Over 40 board where posters say the opposite - that the hysteroscopy is more accurate. I don't know what the ultimate right answer is, but a poster there said the saline hysterosonogram missed problems the hysteroscopy caught. I suppose to be honest, I would want it done in the event it is more accurate & b/c you're really searching for answers at this point. But that's me & I'm admittedly (cotton knows this firsthand!) on the more paranoid side in terms of ruling out issues & looking for answers.

I had an HSG with a local ob/gyn as an initial infertility work-up & then I had a hysteroscopy as part of my initial work-up with my 1st ivf clinic, several months after the HSG. They did not make me repeat either after my BFN & my next 2 clinics didn't have me repeat either. However, after I had my 1st child in 2007, my RE had me do the saline hysterosonogram prior to clearing me to cycle for #2 in 2009.

Yes, I have 2 children now, both via DE, born in 2007 & 2010.

For dh, we did no treatment. We did natural fertilization with our 1st DE cycle. Fert. was only 65% & we subsequently ruled out sperm dna fragmentation & his karyotyping result was normal, so we did ISCI the next 2 fresh DE cycles & fert. was 100%.

My history, as brief as I can make it:

2005 - DE cycle #1 - proven donor - nothing special but they did prescribe Medrol (a steroid), baby aspirin, & antibiotics right around ET. I can't remember the details but nothing stood out in routine testing, according to them, so these things were routine in their practice rather than responsive to any issues I had. Looking back, I would see I had an elevated ANA reading, speckled pattern but they denied that meant anything. BFN.

2006 - DE cycle #2 - new immune-issue friendly clinic - new, unproven donor - Lovenox, Folgard, & baby aspirin for MTHFR plus dexamethasone (steroid) & a low dose of IVIG the day before ET for high NKs. BFN.

2006 - FET #1 - Lovenox, Folgard, baby aspirin plus Humira "just because" - not thrilled about that in hindsight but I didn't know better then. No test indicated Humira was needed. No IVIG b/c told NKs normal. Later learned they were borderline high. BFN. Pushed RE for answers on things that made no sense to me, so he said he would support a Beer Center consult.

2007 - FET #2 - 1st cycle with Beer Center doing immune treatment - Lovenox, Folgard, baby aspirin, & dexamethasone, plus IVIG 4-5 days before ET. This was a natural FETs. My NKs were borderline again. Beer Center said no IVIG needed but test NKs with + pg. test. Ever paranoid, I asked about an implantation flare & was told to do 1 IVIG 4-5 days before ET then. So I did. I was also on Lexapro for low serotonin. BFP on hpt at 7dpo. NKs tested at 8dpo were high (mid-20s per RFU scale) despite 1 IVIG & a borderline normal result prior to ET. I did IVIG every 3 wks. until 16 wks. of pg. & then again at 31 wks. & 34 wks.

2009 - DE cycle #3 - same clinic & donor as before. Long story but short version is that in pre-cycle testing, NKs were high & cytokines were high for the 1st time. Did Humira for 2 months (4 injections, 2 wks. apart). Cytokines flared, so did 2 IVIGs, which brought everything into normal range & I was cleared to cycle. The cycle itself took several more months & relying on that normal result, I did only 1 IVIG prior to ET. I had misgivings about relying on an older test result in a fresh cycle but I ignored them & was assured by everyone NKs don't "usually" fluctuate that much in that period of time. (This ignored my concern that my body may react negatively to the drugs, but I didn't push the issue.) Again on Lovenox, Lexapro, Folgard, baby aspirin, dexamethasone. Tested for 2 more clotting mutations not tested for in 2006, but no change in the treatment for those. BFN.

I want to note here that all of my BFN cycles, I had weird & distinct symptoms during the implantation window. The 1st time, I thought it was a good sign. The 2nd time I was worried. The 3rd & 4th times, I knew it was bad news. Also, between 2006 & 2009, I did 2 endo. biopsies for NK cells. The 2nd time was at my insistence, just in case (paranoid, as I said). Normal both times.

2009 - FET #1 - another natural FET - 1 IVIG pre-ET. NKs either normal or borderline. Can't remember. Lovenox, Lexapro, Folgard, baby aspirin, dexamethasone. BFP. This began a very strange beta journey which is a different story but equally bizarre. I didn't test my NKs until about 8 wks. of pg. b/c I was told it wasn't viable. I did 1 IVIG when my betas started to rise again, but without testing. Once I finally tested, my NKs were normal. I tested every 3 wks. & then every 4 wks., but I never needed IVIG during that pg. (I did it once while pg., as previously stated, but that was when I doubted the viability, so I didn't actually test my NK levels & I have no idea what they were.)
Who puts you on humura and cytokines flared? What are they? I believe you did before you start cycling, right?

Any vitamines you took?

Thank you Aridne. I am still looking RI doctors in my area. You might say why I keep asking you the same question over and over again. I want to know if there is a cure if I have this immune thing. Or if the only treatment is adding lovenox, dexamethasone and luck. because I did these things in all of my cycles (dexamethasone or predisone).
I also I had instinct that tells me, honestly. The way all those feeling turn out to be true, it would be great if I can feel when I will be successful.

I will keep updating you.

minniet
minniet

January 13th, 2012, 1:14 am #9

I wish you all the luck. Are you going to be on this med now or while you are cycling?

When I did the salin the doctor said there is little scar on the top of the uterus but he added it is nothing to worry about it. This doctor is the one who removed my fibroid, also in the result of the salin it showed that my right tube is blocked. The doctor answer was it can happen after myomectomy and it is ok. What do you think? I will go to see him this Saturday/ Sunday. I hope he won't be unhappy about me going somewhere else to do de. I really appreciate your help. I am in the process of looking for RI. I read from internet that there are only 2 RI where I live. One of them doesn't answer phone, or fax. And the other is rheumotologist. I will go who ever takes me. Let me know please if the doctor treats before you start your cycle?

B
Your RE sounds just like my last one in evaluating my uterus...and it turned out to be a problem. I think you may want to have a uterine evaluation by an Asherman's specialist before you start the RI road...especially since you did a lot of the immune and clotting things already...

It may be a really small thing you need to do, but uterine scarring and addressing it is a totally different skill set, sort of the way RIs have skills most REs do not.

There is a Dr. March in LA, but there is someone else I think on the east coast...we should search here for past discussions...

I had, as it turns out, problems with the fibroid and septum (which was overseen by one RE) and now, the clotting and immune stuff (my current RE is an RI).

Ariadne
Ariadne

January 13th, 2012, 5:30 am #10

Who puts you on humura and cytokines flared? What are they? I believe you did before you start cycling, right?

Any vitamines you took?

Thank you Aridne. I am still looking RI doctors in my area. You might say why I keep asking you the same question over and over again. I want to know if there is a cure if I have this immune thing. Or if the only treatment is adding lovenox, dexamethasone and luck. because I did these things in all of my cycles (dexamethasone or predisone).
I also I had instinct that tells me, honestly. The way all those feeling turn out to be true, it would be great if I can feel when I will be successful.

I will keep updating you.
Humira was prescribed 1st by my RE & then by the Beer Center. When my RE prescribed it, my test results were normal. (If I had better understood at the time, I would not have taken it.) When the Beer Center prescribed it, they were abnormal. That was 2 yrs. later. Yes, Humira is pre-cycle & the Beer Center would not clear my cycle to proceed until they were in normal range.

http://repro-med.net/repro-med-site2/in ... &Itemid=25

I really think you need to get Alan E. Beer's book "Is Your Body Baby Friendly?" It is really a comprehensive look at all of this. I was dealing with this going on 6 yrs. ago now, so my memory & my ability to parlay explanations accurately & clearly gets less & less, unfortunately. At the time I was trying to learn about things, I had a better grasp on who did what & the current state of things. Things can change a lot in 5 yrs., so I don't want to mislead you with stale information.

The other thing - and yes, this makes it all the more difficult - is that there is disagreement within the field over tests & treatments, so you will not find universal agreement over what to look at. At the time, the Beer Center & Dr. Kwak-Kim were the most comprehensive & that's what I - ever paranoid - wanted. I wanted to check into it all - blood-circulating NKs, uterine NKs, LAD/LIT, TH1/TH2, etc. Now, there are new names & I'm not sure what the current state of anything is. As much of a pain as the Yahoo board can be, those women (& occasionally men) are in the midst of it all.

I know you're looking for clear answers. I understand, truly. Unfortunately, there are often few clear, simple answers. My deepest, darkest fear was that there was something wrong with me no one would find or no one could find b/c science hadn't caught up yet. I honestly believed that was my fate, in truth. Still, there were certain things I wanted to rule out or cover before I threw in the towel & accepted that fate. Luckily for me, comprehensive immune testing & treatment DID work, although my initial attempts at it through my RE were not successful. There were completely logical reasons for that, I would learn in hindsight, but I still wasn't sure moving to an RI would help me as I still couldn't be 100% sure that was my only problem.

It's very hard & it's made harder still b/c of all the variables. Your body could be perfectly receptive to a pg., but you still need a normal embryo, which requires normal sperm & normal eggs.

Are the testing & treatment options perfected? No. Do the treatments always work? No. One of my board friends, who no longer posts, had that issue. She did everything, more than once, but tests repeatedly showed the treatment was not bringing her system into line.

It requires a leap of faith, no matter what.

What about a couple of 2nd opinions before you doing anything else? Dr. K has a lot of fans. From their descriptions, he is a doctor who REALLY cares & is meticulous about records review & going over options. (I haven't met too many REs who can be described so generously.) He is not an RI & is not too into that angle, but he succeeded with other "green girl" posters.

For those opening the link, there is mention of pg. & children, just fyi.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/247611/m ... mar+girls-

And what about Dr. Karen Pace, whose link I sent you before? She would be the immune overview angle. Dr. K the other stuff.

http://web.me.com/conceivablesolutions/ ... lcome.html

It's entirely possible you just haven't had a fair shot yet in terms of embryo quality. It's always impossible to know for sure, but esp. if the embryos are mediocre.

I know how hard you're trying & please know that it took me a long time, with many mistakes. Same with many others. The ease at which it may seem I & others say try this or that is rarely present for anyone at the beginning. It is hindsight that is 20/20.

I had back-up plans if the immune stuff failed, but luckily I didn't have to go there.

Maybe a couple of consults, one with someone versed in RI & one with somehow who is careful & not as closed off as many REs are, before deciding? Honestly, now that you've posted more & it's clear you've done some immune stuff, including IVIG, which is no small deal, I think you should really consider a couple of additional consults. A really good, thorough RE like Dr. K & someone well-versed in RI, like the Beer Center, Dr. Acacio, Dr. Scher, or Dr. Pace. Someone who will know all that stuff & be able to really look at what you've done & what you've tested for to determine what, if anything, more to do.

None of it is free, unfortunately, but I think if you narrow it down to 1 in each category, or someone who is truly comprehensive re. everything, it may prove to be very helpful.

Bharani, I've been working on this on & off all evening. I'm going to post it now. I hope it makes sense. If it doesn't, I'm happy to keep clarifying or offering other thoughts. But I'll post it now for what it is.

Most of all, please know I know how hard & confusing it all is. If there were one magic answer for all, I would happily post it, but there's not. So many variables come into play here. I know the feeling that throwing more money away is hard to stomach. I don't know where your dh is at right now with this, but mine was not pleased, so I get it's hard to sell spending more money for answers. Still, it can work out & it can be worth it, so don't despair. Hang tough! There are women here to help you out. I do think, though, you need a couple of comprehensive consults with doctors who will look at what you've done. Someone immune issue oriented for sure.

It's hard but stick with it. I can't even tell you how many tears I shed dealing with it all. And yes, I did it alone, too. I couldn't turn to my otherwise wonderful dh b/c he was so bitter & negative. So I did it all alone, with the help of women on these boards. Dh went along with me, but barely. You can do it!