Anyone stay on PIO instread of switching to suppositories?

Anyone stay on PIO instread of switching to suppositories?

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 25th, 2011, 12:53 pm #1

As I am thinking about the next cycle and what to do differently - I am a little worried about switching from the PIO to the suppositories. The RE had me do this the day of the swcond quant, then the next quant was the one that stopped rising appropriately. He also doesn't check the progesterone level again after the switch which I thought was weird. It may be just a coincidence and completely unrelated but I can't help but be worried to switch over the next time. I am thinking I want to continue on it for a little longer - at least until the ultrasound - then switch to supp and check levels right away? Or just only take PIO even though my hips were killing me...

bethphx
bethphx

August 25th, 2011, 12:53 pm #2

Sorry- that was me

August 25th, 2011, 1:13 pm #3

As I am thinking about the next cycle and what to do differently - I am a little worried about switching from the PIO to the suppositories. The RE had me do this the day of the swcond quant, then the next quant was the one that stopped rising appropriately. He also doesn't check the progesterone level again after the switch which I thought was weird. It may be just a coincidence and completely unrelated but I can't help but be worried to switch over the next time. I am thinking I want to continue on it for a little longer - at least until the ultrasound - then switch to supp and check levels right away? Or just only take PIO even though my hips were killing me...
I was on the PIO until I graduated from the RE after seeing a strong heartbeat at 8.5 weeks. I was nervous about the transition too but my RE assured me. I am now just over 10 weeks and hoping and praying all is good when I have Nuchal test on 9/8. It is really hard going from seeing the ultrasound almost weekly to so many weeks between appointment. Best of luck to all. This is a stressful road.

August 25th, 2011, 3:10 pm #4

I hope I am answering this per your question.
I was told by week 10 I could go off, but kept going through week 12...as I still had the PIO and enough Crinone for 12 women.
I would definitely have your RE test your P4...and self monitor if the RE feels the level is fine, but you do not.
My levels were seemingly low for what most women on this board shoot for. The RE felt it was just fine...so I upped my dose a little.
When I went to see my OB at week 11, I told her I was continuing it through week 12..and she was fine with it.
The women on this board know their stuff. Sometimes I find REs to treat everyone the same..and sometimes WE are not. Go with your gut, question and ask on the board for advice to any of your concerns.
GOOD LUCK!

August 25th, 2011, 3:38 pm #5

I mentioned on the pink board that I was concerned about changing to the suppositories, because it took me so long to get up the nerve to do my own shots, and actually, I think I am pretty good at it now. I got an awesome suggestion. Ask if I could stay on PIO. I did and they said that was fine (I'm just under 10 weeks). In fact my injection level stays the same through 12-and-a-half weeks, then I stop both the PIO and delestrogen completely (which doesn't seem like weaning to me, but I know another person from my same clinic who did the same thing, and she has a 3 month old now). So if you are worried about switching I would ask if you can continue with your current protocol. If that's not an option at your clinic, then I would see if you are able to get your progesterone checked a few times.

One concern the clinic did bring up was whether my injection sites were getting sore. Since I had them draw the injection circles on my body (which I retrace when they fade) I have such a bigger area to inject the meds than I originally thought. But I have gotten lazy with the heating pad after the shots, and occasionally I have paid for it (it just takes so long).

keifel
keifel

August 25th, 2011, 3:47 pm #6

They kept weekly monitoring until I reached 20 on my own. They would have me skip one night and test the next day... starting at around wk 12, I think. The dose had been cut in half by week 12, I believe. After all those shots I was nervous to stop at all, but felt better with all of the monitoring. I would just ask for more bloodwork and to stay on the PIO if you can. Why not?

lenebene
lenebene

August 25th, 2011, 9:02 pm #7

I stayed on til week 12 (nt)

ks
ks

August 26th, 2011, 1:06 am #8

I did. As I had major bleeding issues. That and I hate suppositories, I would much rather stay on and do the shots!

ks

August 27th, 2011, 8:41 pm #9

I never did shots. I will be on suppositories 3 times per day through week 12.

August 28th, 2011, 11:19 pm #10

and never did suppositories. As I think I've posted before, I did have trouble with the PIO: allergic reaction to sesame oil, plus major lumps and bumps which lingered after I stopped the injections, but my bum is back to normal now (except for the baby weight I'm putting on!) I would trust your RE, but it certainly doesn't do any harm to stay on the PIO if you can stand it. Good luck!