anyone cycle in Czech Republic?

anyone cycle in Czech Republic?

Chang
Chang

August 29th, 2010, 11:23 pm #1

Good or bad experience? Would like to know the pros and cons.

August 30th, 2010, 2:22 am #2

I cycled first at Zlin. I did not get pg there, but many people do. I think it is a good clinic, however, my body didn't respond well to their standard protocol, and I need longer to build a lining, etc. I would recommend this clinic to others though.

I also did a cycle at Gyncentrum Ostrava, and I could not in all honesty recommend this clinic to anyone. Too long of a story to go into, but if you need to know details, I would be happy to provide in private. I just don't want to get into any clinic bashing here for no good reason.

I eventually did have success, but that was with a frozen egg cycle with RBA in Atlanta. I think, with my lining issues, I needed the eggs to wait for me. But, most people don't have the same sort of problems growing a lining as I had.

ETA:Pros-cost is much lower than the US. You don't have to deal with anything like donor contracts, agencies, add'l attorney fees, worrying if donor is going to pass med screening/follow through, etc. You get to rest at least an hour in a very comfy bed where they raise the legs. Cons: you have very little control over the donor, you send a picture, they match basic looks, blood type, etc. IT is all anonymous, you know little else. They also do very low stim, as they feel this is best for the donor, and they think that you get better egg quality that way. So you often don't have many/any for frozen attempts. I have never met anyone who has gotten pg from an FET from Zlin, although maybe it does happen. So basically, figure it is a one time attempt. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone not having at least 2 decent grade blasts to transfer. I know of MANY people who have gotten pg through the Zlin clinic. Most it took one or two tries, for others, such as myself, it was a longer road.

I hope this ETA info helps out more than just my subjective opinion.
Last edited by margolis on August 30th, 2010, 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesameboat
thesameboat

August 30th, 2010, 9:34 am #3

My DD was born after my 5th Zlin cycle. I was satisfied overall although there were a few kinks (involving a doctor who is no longer there). My success came after immune treatments and the addition of donor sperm on half the eggs.

I also cycled at Pronatal in Prague before I went to Zlin. I would not recommend it based on my experiences there.

If you would like more information, you can email me at x y 7@ gm x . ne t

All the best.

aw2006
aw2006

August 30th, 2010, 3:09 pm #4

My husband and I did our first cycle of DEIVF at Reprofit in Brno, CR. We used a company called myivfalternative.com. We were successful (very fortunately) on our first attempt and have 3 embryos on ice at the clinic still. I am due in January 2011.

Pros: The cost for us was around $13000 including meds, donor fee, donor meds, freezing, IVF, ICSI, flight, accomodations and spending money.
We have friends from the CR who were able to do some research into the clinic and its staff prior to us cycling - modern clinic, doctors with great credentials etc.
Completely anonymous donors - for me this was a plus because I got completely overwhelmed trying to find my replica in the world. I got so wrapped up in finding a carbon copy of me that I just got lost in the process. The clinic matches you based on a list of criteria you provide. I also included a picture of myself. This could be seen as a con if you are looking for more info about the donor or want a picture.
Dr. Stepan Machac was amazing. He has great bedside manner; I can't say enough good things about him.
Another pro for me is that the clinic does not believe in quantity over quality. The donors are on a moderate amount of meds and produce a lower number of eggs than is produced in the States/Canada. I don't think the high dosages of meds that donors are put on in North America is good for the donor nor do I think they produce quality eggs/embryos. We got 7 eggs, 5 of them fertilized, we transferred 2 and had 3 that made it to freeze. They only freeze embryos that fall into the highest quality category.
Cons: It's a long way to travel and we will have to go back there for a FET as we cannot transfer our embryos back to Canada.

I'm incredibly happy with our experience using Reprofit.

August 30th, 2010, 6:56 pm #5

I don't have much to add. Like aw2006, I found the anonymous donation and the egg coordinators selecting my donors (used DS, too) to be a psychological advantage. I had twin boys back in May as a result of my second cycle. I also have 2 frosties in Zlin, but I had none from my first cycle. Since I am in the tell camp, though, I worry about the implications for my twin boys of not being able to meet their genetic parents. Incidentally, I think the doctor that thesameboat mentions is actually the one who got me pg.

BTW, I posted a link on the pink board to the Zlin board that got migrated from ivfconnections. If you think you'd like to cycle there, you should really check it out, b/c the ladies there really know the ropes about that clinic, the best food and lodging, etc. And there are pictures of the clinic there, too!

My first cycle, I went through ivfvacation.com, but CRM-Z has really developed its own resources for accommodating out-of-town patients, so that's not really necessary anymore. I don't think I had any really negative experiences with the Zlin except that sometimes they could be slow about responding to e-mail. That's another reason why it's good to be on that Zlin board, I mentioned: someone on the list is usually at the clinic and can tell you about staff being on leave, for example.

I spent about $8-9K per cycle. You can do it for a bit less and certainly more depending on flights and accommodations. Had my second cycle failed, though, I intended to try CNY in New York next.

Good luck!

Maggie in VA
Last edited by maggie1961 on August 30th, 2010, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 31st, 2010, 3:13 am #6

I cycled there in early 2008 for my first DE cycle (first IVF cycle in general) and my beautiful boy/girl twins will be two y/o soon. I went through www.IVFVacation.com which went very well. We had never traveled overseas nor been the ones who didn't speak the language. I was happy with them. The clinic was very nice and modern inside (at that time, I know they've had some changes in staff since).

I only wanted an anonymous donor, etc. My donor was 22 y/o and we were her second cycle. Her first cycle resulted in a live birth so she was proven which was the first of my donor requirements. They were able to honor all of my requests.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. We traveled to Prague which is a beautiful city and I would love to go back!

August 31st, 2010, 1:56 pm #7

Every time lining was great, embryos were grade 1 (I've had kids before, so this should have been easy)but It took us a fourth fresh DE cycle in zlin to finally get lucky - but I do not regret a single trip - we made a wonderful vacation out of each one.

We'll be heading back late November for an FET from DE #4.

Pros - the price of course. DH's family is Czech, so this gave him a chance to see the country his family originated from. An amazing adventure each time - we traveled to Vienna, Prague, Budapest, Bratislava, Brno, Kutna Hora, Lednice, Valtice, etc. Made sure each trip was filled with wonderful memories. Also, if there is nothing to transfer - you arent out of pocket for the full cycle as you would be with U.S. clinics who charge you up front not knowing how the cycle is going to end up.

Cons - like every other fertility clinic in the world they have one protocol they want to use for everyone, and that protocol doesnt always work for everyone. We really had to push to get things like progesterone levels tested and forced the issue of using PIO instead of pills/crinone when my levels were low. We had to push to get relatively minor things changed when the first three fresh cycles failed - the docs just kept insisting it was bad luck. You'd get the same from any clinic anywhere in the world though - so not a major con if comparing to other places.

Their FET success rate is another con; we were told they have about a 30% success rate, which is really pretty dismal. Then again, it took us five trips, four donors to get pg when they told us at first that we had an 80% chance of success. They also would really rather not freeze anything not grade 1 - so this really limits their experience with freezing and thawing embryos in my opinion. We currently have three frozen after tranferring three, but had another 4 that were grade 2 that they refused to freeze.

We had previously contacted Reprofit in Brno, they started me on meds telling me they would have a donor match soon - after five months on the meds and still no match and no explanation - we gave up on them, contacted IVFVacation, had a match and cycled within a couple months.

if you have specific questions, feel free to contact me.

Kay

" Some people built castles in the air. She constructed hers from mashed potatoes, which kept down demolition costs." Sarah Sloane, Borrowing Priviledges

September 1st, 2010, 3:03 pm #8

Reprofit tends to have a longer waiting list b/c British women use it overwhelmingly, and there are direct flights from London to Brno. But the airport that has those flights in London isn't Heathrow or Gatwick; it's a smaller airport, so the drive/train trip inter-airport makes it not very worthwhile for U.S. patients. Zlin is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Vienna, or a 90 minute drive from Brno. I made a Welsh friend in Luhacovice, and she had originally wanted to cycle at Reprofit, but didn't want to wait, so she came to Zlin. On the other hand, I understand Reprofit has a better success rate with their FET's (true?). A friend suggested that if I ever went back for my frosties to have them transferred to Reprofit. Maggie (in VA)
Last edited by maggie1961 on September 1st, 2010, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aw2006
aw2006

September 2nd, 2010, 7:27 pm #9

I used myivfalternative.com they have a deal with the clinic and the wait times are much less. I contacted them in Dec 09/January 10 and cycled in April 10 - could have cycled in March but I wanted an A+ blood type donor.

tryna grat
tryna grat

June 14th, 2011, 2:02 am #10

My husband and I did our first cycle of DEIVF at Reprofit in Brno, CR. We used a company called myivfalternative.com. We were successful (very fortunately) on our first attempt and have 3 embryos on ice at the clinic still. I am due in January 2011.

Pros: The cost for us was around $13000 including meds, donor fee, donor meds, freezing, IVF, ICSI, flight, accomodations and spending money.
We have friends from the CR who were able to do some research into the clinic and its staff prior to us cycling - modern clinic, doctors with great credentials etc.
Completely anonymous donors - for me this was a plus because I got completely overwhelmed trying to find my replica in the world. I got so wrapped up in finding a carbon copy of me that I just got lost in the process. The clinic matches you based on a list of criteria you provide. I also included a picture of myself. This could be seen as a con if you are looking for more info about the donor or want a picture.
Dr. Stepan Machac was amazing. He has great bedside manner; I can't say enough good things about him.
Another pro for me is that the clinic does not believe in quantity over quality. The donors are on a moderate amount of meds and produce a lower number of eggs than is produced in the States/Canada. I don't think the high dosages of meds that donors are put on in North America is good for the donor nor do I think they produce quality eggs/embryos. We got 7 eggs, 5 of them fertilized, we transferred 2 and had 3 that made it to freeze. They only freeze embryos that fall into the highest quality category.
Cons: It's a long way to travel and we will have to go back there for a FET as we cannot transfer our embryos back to Canada.

I'm incredibly happy with our experience using Reprofit.
Hi,

Thank you for the information. We are also considering this and are from Canada. We want to make sure this clinic is legatmate and safe. we are also wondering if it was worth going through the agency IVF alternative who arranges everything for you....

Were there any surprises or extra costs that you were unaware of, and can you share with me any information about the creditials that you found about them.

I hope your pregancy was well, and that you are enjoying your baby now!

Sincerely,

Tryna