Any OOT Shady Groove patients out there?

Any OOT Shady Groove patients out there?

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

September 29th, 2011, 3:26 pm #1

I'm looking for some feedback and info. on how to manage the logistics of OOT cycling if we decide to do it. I'm from the central Massachusetts area and wondering if anyone has any experience with MA sites for monitoring? What were the approximate costs of OOT monitoring for a cycle or how many u/s checks, e2 checks etc for each fresh cycle? What is the best airport to fly into? Is there a public transit system that I could use to get to the clinic or would we need to rent a car for the day? How long does it take from initial telephone consult to transfer? What is the drug protocol for recipients for their DE program (wondering if I can stockpile some refills on scripts from current clinic to save $)? I'm getting an updated CBC, thyroid panel, vit D level, mammogram and I've had a hystosonogram, uterine biopsy, and hysterscopy. Is there anything else I should ask MD to order to be prepared? Any other info. welcome. Thanks!

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

September 29th, 2011, 3:34 pm #2

National and Dulles are almost the same distance away. There is a metro connected to National so you could hop on the yellow line and transfer to red then take a bus. So it is doable but ugh....I'd rather not. If I were going to drive, I'd rather go from Dulles, personally. Good luck!

Calm
Calm

September 29th, 2011, 3:54 pm #3

I'm looking for some feedback and info. on how to manage the logistics of OOT cycling if we decide to do it. I'm from the central Massachusetts area and wondering if anyone has any experience with MA sites for monitoring? What were the approximate costs of OOT monitoring for a cycle or how many u/s checks, e2 checks etc for each fresh cycle? What is the best airport to fly into? Is there a public transit system that I could use to get to the clinic or would we need to rent a car for the day? How long does it take from initial telephone consult to transfer? What is the drug protocol for recipients for their DE program (wondering if I can stockpile some refills on scripts from current clinic to save $)? I'm getting an updated CBC, thyroid panel, vit D level, mammogram and I've had a hystosonogram, uterine biopsy, and hysterscopy. Is there anything else I should ask MD to order to be prepared? Any other info. welcome. Thanks!
Hi there - I have no info on the topic but so pleased to see you actively in the planning stages for whatever comes next. Been thinking about you daily....

ks
ks

September 29th, 2011, 4:44 pm #4

And it was easy! My clinic here charged a $500 monitoring fee. And we drove to Rockville for the transfer and left the next day. I drove in from Toronto Canada. So quite the hike, but waaaaay less expensive than flying in for sure!

Good luck!

ks

September 29th, 2011, 4:45 pm #5

National and Dulles are almost the same distance away. There is a metro connected to National so you could hop on the yellow line and transfer to red then take a bus. So it is doable but ugh....I'd rather not. If I were going to drive, I'd rather go from Dulles, personally. Good luck!
You really don't want to be on Metro on tx day, IMO. Our public transit system, especially the train system, is having major problems as it doesn't have a dedicated funding stream. Anyway, if you get a much better fare to National, don't sweat it, you'd be fine, but in either case you'll probably be more comfortable and less stressed with a rental car, which is saying a lot given DC metro area traffic, LOL. And give yourself plenty of time to drive wherever you need to be, b/c it takes very little to create a traffic jam here, and the road crews are trying to get as much work as possible done before winter sets in. Maggie (in VA)

September 29th, 2011, 5:08 pm #6

My office is about 1 mile from the main office in Rockville so I know the area very well.Even for in town, there is very little I actually needed to do at the Rockville location. For OOT, you would need your initial consult day at which time they would schedule all the other items you might need from an RE perspective -- HSG etc. They would also have you do the finanacial meeting that day (to go over your options-- not to pay). After that there are some blood tests and other tests you would need -- I had my regular physical, my GYN physical and my mammogram all planned for this phase. YOu can get all of that done at home. I would suggest DH coming to this initial consult and having him freeze some of his sperm. We are local but DH went up there a month ahead of time simply so he would not have to deal with the traffic issues on the day of retrieval. I think having some frozen sperm here helps to reduce the stress of having to get here earlier than the day before transfer. SG is very willing to work with frozen sperm.

Okay, I have to jump for a bit -- will be back later to finish

September 29th, 2011, 5:08 pm #7

My office is about 1 mile from the main office in Rockville so I know the area very well.Even for in town, there is very little I actually needed to do at the Rockville location. For OOT, you would need your initial consult day at which time they would schedule all the other items you might need from an RE perspective -- HSG etc. They would also have you do the finanacial meeting that day (to go over your options-- not to pay). After that there are some blood tests and other tests you would need -- I had my regular physical, my GYN physical and my mammogram all planned for this phase. YOu can get all of that done at home. I would suggest DH coming to this initial consult and having him freeze some of his sperm. We are local but DH went up there a month ahead of time simply so he would not have to deal with the traffic issues on the day of retrieval. I think having some frozen sperm here helps to reduce the stress of having to get here earlier than the day before transfer. SG is very willing to work with frozen sperm.

Okay, I have to jump for a bit -- will be back later to finish

September 29th, 2011, 10:19 pm #8

I just matched to my donor (!). I am the second recipient in a 1:2 match. So, hurrah, we are underway.(I am in New Orleans)

I had a phone consult with Dr. Wang at the end of June back when I was looking for a DE clinic. I scheduled an in-person visit in August and that took some time because of scheduling. They wanted me to come in before CD 12 (I think)for a saline sono and so during that visit I accomplished everything I needed to get started and would not need to come back until transfer.

Everything for the initial onsite visit was coordinated by the cycle coordinator via email and one or two phone calls. It was a snap. At that visit my DH gave a sample and it was frozen for future use. This also means he will not need to come up for transfer. We met with Dr. Wang and then he did a saline sono which was absolutely no big deal. We met with the donor coordinator. Then we met with the nurse who went over the mock EEP cycle with me since I would be doing that once I got back home on my next CD1 and we arranged for her to call in all of the drugs I would need and when to start, etc. We met with the financial coordinator and went over all of the options. I already had this material sent to us and had discussed it on the phone with Dr. Wang so I was familiar with the financial aspects of their program. We asked questions but we did not have to decide then we just had to indicate which direction we were leaning so they could make the right donor database available. Lastly we met with the social worker for the mandatory discussion about using DE, etc, which was great BTW. We managed to do all of that before 1230 in the afternoon. We had time to grab a bite to eat and head to the airport. SG was amazingly efficient and was clearly accustomed to dealing with OOT patients. There is a hotel right next door (Hilton)and we flew in the night before and rented a car. We flew into Baltimore because Southwest has non-stops from New Orleans but there are several other airports to chose from that may even be closer to their Rockville office.

When I left I was ready for the next step which was the mock EEP cycle to see how my lining responded to the recipient protocol. So again I waited impatiently for CD1. The recipient protocol involves BCP while waiting to sync with the donor. You take estrogen (delestrogen) by injection every three days for lining prep. I had one visit to my homebase RE for lining check and P4 on cycle day 14. SG may or may not make you get a betaHCG prior to starting the mock EEP cycle to confirm that you are not pregnant before starting but I took an HPT instead. During my mock EEP cycle I ovulated through the estrogen so I will need lupron to suppress, I think, when the real cycle begins. After transfer they supplement with progestrone via IM injection. I asked about Crinone but they said no.

Once I passed the mock EEP and got approval for the shared risk program I got access to the donor list to make my choice. Luckily I found an excellent match right away who coincidentally just needed one more recipient to start a cycle. Unfortunately, I am still waiting for my period after the mock EEP so I can get in sync with he donor and other recipient. So my total time from first phone consult to picking a donor has been 3 months. I figure transfer will be in another month or so...

I wanted to add - since I have seen some one else ask here- I was able to look at adult pictures of donors when they were available. They let you see them once you are in the program.

Sorry for the novel!! If you have any other questions just let me know.
Good luck! Sam

September 29th, 2011, 10:24 pm #9

It sounds like you have everything to get started. They will look over your file and tell you anything you need. I had to send them my recent pap (within the past two years) and they recommend a mammogram if you are over 40.

September 30th, 2011, 12:25 am #10

I appreciate the info. especially the warning about public transit.