Agency feedback - new to board

Agency feedback - new to board

November 8th, 2011, 4:07 am #1

Hi, I've been lurking on and off for the last few months, trying to navigate the DE waters, learning from the experience and knowledge you all have. We've been matched with 2 donors and they have fallen through for different reasons. Donor #2 had 0% fertilization for her 1st cycle before us. I can only imagine how disappointed the recipients were, and thankful we dodged the bullet. Not sure if it was a clinic or cycle related issue, but it is too risky with high agency fees to find out, so we opted out.

We have found a couple of potential donors at Shelley Smith's agency, but the communication is very slow. Maybe I am being impatient, but I get the sense the less questions asked of them, the more willing and responsive they might be. My contact there was usually available to speak when called, but now I seem to be on the voicemail track. Can anyone share positive (or other) experiences with this agency? It might be time to move on.

Because of the positive comments on this board, I have connected with Giving Hope and Northeast Assisted Fertility, and they have been very responsive and professional, and I wish we could find a donor match at either of these agencies because I would really like to work with them.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

November 8th, 2011, 4:08 am #2

Sorry, meant to add login above

anon
anon

November 8th, 2011, 5:37 pm #3

Hi, I've been lurking on and off for the last few months, trying to navigate the DE waters, learning from the experience and knowledge you all have. We've been matched with 2 donors and they have fallen through for different reasons. Donor #2 had 0% fertilization for her 1st cycle before us. I can only imagine how disappointed the recipients were, and thankful we dodged the bullet. Not sure if it was a clinic or cycle related issue, but it is too risky with high agency fees to find out, so we opted out.

We have found a couple of potential donors at Shelley Smith's agency, but the communication is very slow. Maybe I am being impatient, but I get the sense the less questions asked of them, the more willing and responsive they might be. My contact there was usually available to speak when called, but now I seem to be on the voicemail track. Can anyone share positive (or other) experiences with this agency? It might be time to move on.

Because of the positive comments on this board, I have connected with Giving Hope and Northeast Assisted Fertility, and they have been very responsive and professional, and I wish we could find a donor match at either of these agencies because I would really like to work with them.

We are using NE fertility and they have been incredibly professional and responsive. Our donor is traveling for a cycle in late December and so far we receive more info from Kathy at NE Fertility than Boston IVF. I would recommend them highly. It is a little more pricey than other agencies but they do verify test scores, etc.

GulfGal
GulfGal

November 8th, 2011, 6:44 pm #4

They had a nice database of quality college educated donors and they did not include them in their database until they had run a day three panel on them (FSH/E2/FDA) at their own cost, which most agencies don't do. It was really nice not having to pay upfront before testing is done, like all the other agencies seem to require. They were responsive and good stewards with my money.

rattyman
rattyman

November 8th, 2011, 9:05 pm #5

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I really appreciate it...its been said before, but I am learning the agency is just as important as the donor and the clinic. Agree about Kathy at NAFG, she is extremely responsive and seems on top of it.

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 9th, 2011, 2:54 pm #6

Our final decision came down to NE Fertility or Giving Hope. We ended up finding a donor on GH website that we really liked so that was ultimately the tiebreaker. We had been trying to find someone local to keep the expenses down but in the end we decided not to let the decision be based on $$ but on the donor we felt best about. Yes, easier said than done but I figured what's a couple more thousand when you're talking about this kind of $$. It's breaking the bank for us but this is it so we didn't want to compromise on the donor characteristics that were most important to us. Our cycle is planned for Dec & I can't say enough good things about Giving Hope. I spoke initially with Katy Encalade who was very responsive and helped us through the process of selecting a donor. Once we found someone, I was assigned a coordinator who manages all the details between my clinic, the donor, the lawyers, etc. She has been great as well. She just sent me an email the other day to "see how I was doing" because we hadn't spoken in about a week. Who does that? Their fees are a little less than NE Fertility and they compensate their donors on a graduated scale. 1st timers I believe get $5K. Ours is a 2x proven donor & we're paying $7.5K. I believe NE donors get $10K regardless of past experience. NE seemed to have more donors in the Northeast whereas Giving Hope seemed to be more heavily concentrated in the midwest & west. They both have large donor databases though, we just found what we were looking for through GH. Good luck!!

November 9th, 2011, 7:19 pm #7

I found this agency to be all talk no action, and when it came down to it, i think the "personal interview" was a ruse to see how much money she could get out of us.

We found a donor we really liked and were told repeatedly that she was not available. But, she was always routed to another couple, several times it happened.

We have the funds for de; but we felt it was prudent to not share too much of our financial situation with Shelley, as we could see she allowed donors charging $20,000+ on her site...We are not rich, but we have planned to do this, so we have the funds. Well, all I can say is that once she thought we were not high earners we never heard from her again and every donor that came up that we liked were unavailable to us. I mean, we waited for the donor, told the agency we were willing to wait, and then, as soon as the donor came up, she was routed to someone else.

I found their communication poor and just got a weird feeling about the occasional donors which popped up for $20,000+ with no verified stats and that were exceeding ASRM fee guidelines because they "came from another agency".

I would check out Peas in a Pod or Northeast Assisted Fertility. They are both honest and straightforward.

rattyman
rattyman

November 9th, 2011, 11:29 pm #8

Thanks all for your suggestions again.

Your experience sounds so much like mine, very quickly disappearing donors, "and many other couples" ready to reserve a particular donor. I don't want to be party to a bidding war or one where the recipient is chosen because they ask the least questions (like verifications)!

November 9th, 2011, 11:51 pm #9

Peas is incredibly fair and NE Assisted, while their donors can go quickly, Barbara is always fair and will tell you what they have and who is waiting. I feel that both Peas and NE Assisted are trustworthy. And what do you know, neither demands money upfront! I truly believe if an agency is good and ethical and they are doing their job, they don't need you to send money to do business with them.

Good luck! It sounds like you are clear and moving in the right direction. I was dumb and trusted some agencies blindly, waiting on information, veriication and other items for ages and then finding out I would never get them.

Only NE Assisted and Peas did proper verification and without cash out of pocket.

November 10th, 2011, 5:48 am #10

Is that really true, do you know? I thought it was appalling. I read that from several people, and she required it to be real gold and real gems. I mean, the woman is a freak.