advice for new cycle

advice for new cycle

hopeful7608
hopeful7608

August 12th, 2012, 5:53 pm #1

I have not posted for a little while but love to see that there have been some BFPs recently. Brief history...failed with a proven donor this spring in Boston (1 fresh cycle and 2 frozen transfers) for no good reason except perhaps not great embryos since by the end we were using intralipids, prednisone, etc. They were day 3 embryos. Got through being sad and angry since we had not such a great experience with our clinic.
Moved on and now our at CCRM and will do a fresh cycle in September. At CCRM they offer the option of paying an extra $5000 that will allow you to cycle a second time only paying for meds essentially (basically a 22,000 discount) if your cycle fails with both fresh/frozen transfers. I realize it is already an exorbitant amount of money but part if me really wants to pay the extra money because it just feels like a little safety net. My husband disagrees....first time in the whole process we are not on the same page. What would you do? Is it worth it?

Violet
Violet

August 12th, 2012, 8:47 pm #2

So good to hear from you. I was thinking of you recently and hoped that you were making progress at CCRM. Sorry you are not on the same page with DH. DH and I have not been on same page for some things and eventually we have worked it out.

What is your husband's reasoning for not wanting to pay the extra $5000 if you don't mind me asking?

I am sure everything will work out with CCRM as they are a better clinic overall. Just in case it does not work, what do you think your next step would be? Would you want to go through it all again or would you move on to your next plan? I realize it is hard to know (I have changed my mind many times with each plan that we thought would be our last.). If you don't feel like you would know what your plan would be, I would do the extra $5000.

How did all the testing go with CCRM? They have in-house donors if you want one, right? Are you going to continue with intralipids, etc? I finished my immune testing and the results showed elevated NK cells due to HLA matches between DH and me. So intralipids and neupogen for me.

Violet

Molly
Molly

August 13th, 2012, 2:06 am #3

I have not posted for a little while but love to see that there have been some BFPs recently. Brief history...failed with a proven donor this spring in Boston (1 fresh cycle and 2 frozen transfers) for no good reason except perhaps not great embryos since by the end we were using intralipids, prednisone, etc. They were day 3 embryos. Got through being sad and angry since we had not such a great experience with our clinic.
Moved on and now our at CCRM and will do a fresh cycle in September. At CCRM they offer the option of paying an extra $5000 that will allow you to cycle a second time only paying for meds essentially (basically a 22,000 discount) if your cycle fails with both fresh/frozen transfers. I realize it is already an exorbitant amount of money but part if me really wants to pay the extra money because it just feels like a little safety net. My husband disagrees....first time in the whole process we are not on the same page. What would you do? Is it worth it?
Hello,

This is a tough question. I have only done OE ivf (out of pocket) and paid each cycle. If a clinic's stats are that good, typically you don't need the extra protection (and they know that ,,, and they will make more $ from you). That is be rationale side of me (i work for an insurance co and, like insurance, rates are set so companies make $ ... But of couse sometimes they have to pay claims).

That said, i competely get what you are saying. Hopefully, you won't need it ... If it works at ccrm, you probably will be so happy you won't regret spending the extra $. And if it doesn't work, you will be relieved you spent the $. So the emotional sde of me says spend the$.

May i ask what clinic you used for DE in Boston that you were not very happy with? I am at B&W seriously looking at DE, but i am not even sure where to find a donor. Would you mind saring th logistics of going to CCRM as an out of town/boston patient (how much travel, scheduling is needed etc)?

Thank you and best wishes,
m

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 13th, 2012, 11:45 am #4

So good to hear from you. I was thinking of you recently and hoped that you were making progress at CCRM. Sorry you are not on the same page with DH. DH and I have not been on same page for some things and eventually we have worked it out.

What is your husband's reasoning for not wanting to pay the extra $5000 if you don't mind me asking?

I am sure everything will work out with CCRM as they are a better clinic overall. Just in case it does not work, what do you think your next step would be? Would you want to go through it all again or would you move on to your next plan? I realize it is hard to know (I have changed my mind many times with each plan that we thought would be our last.). If you don't feel like you would know what your plan would be, I would do the extra $5000.

How did all the testing go with CCRM? They have in-house donors if you want one, right? Are you going to continue with intralipids, etc? I finished my immune testing and the results showed elevated NK cells due to HLA matches between DH and me. So intralipids and neupogen for me.

Violet
I am not sure but I think I would not want to give up if this cycle fails. And there is a small part of me that fears the unexpected like only having 1 embryo despite the high success rates/proven donor and not even having a real chance. I remember the conversation with BIVF telling me "you have tons of time and and there is an 85% success rate with DE." Well that was 2 years ago....probably without the failed cycles I would have more confidence and not feel the need to pay the extra $.
That is interesting about the NK cells...who did your testing? Is the clinic going to prescribe the Neupogen/intralipids or the immunologist? When are you going to do your frozen transfer? I think you still have an excellent chance with your frozens. CCRM does not believe in intralipids, etc although they do use prednisone and an antihistamine protocol occasionally. I am going to put my trust in them and hope for the best.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 13th, 2012, 11:56 am #5

Hello,

This is a tough question. I have only done OE ivf (out of pocket) and paid each cycle. If a clinic's stats are that good, typically you don't need the extra protection (and they know that ,,, and they will make more $ from you). That is be rationale side of me (i work for an insurance co and, like insurance, rates are set so companies make $ ... But of couse sometimes they have to pay claims).

That said, i competely get what you are saying. Hopefully, you won't need it ... If it works at ccrm, you probably will be so happy you won't regret spending the extra $. And if it doesn't work, you will be relieved you spent the $. So the emotional sde of me says spend the$.

May i ask what clinic you used for DE in Boston that you were not very happy with? I am at B&W seriously looking at DE, but i am not even sure where to find a donor. Would you mind saring th logistics of going to CCRM as an out of town/boston patient (how much travel, scheduling is needed etc)?

Thank you and best wishes,
m
Thanks for your opinion. I think my husband is thinking like you and I just make more emotional decisions. We were at BIVF and had issues that they would not take the embryos to 5 days despite our very specific request and documented order and in hindsight this was likely because of the quality of the lab.
We started exploring CCRM after our failed fresh cycle because of their high success rates. It has been a great experience so far....better communication, more thorough testing, etc but we will see. All in all other than the travel it will end up costing the same as BIVF since we used an agency donor before and our using an in-house donor in CO. As far as logistics, it is really 2 trips. The initial one day work up and then we will be there for 10 days for transfer/retrieval. They have also started a frozen egg program where the second trip would be shorter if we had used this but could not find a great match. Ironically...they are offering the guarantee for free with the frozen egg program (new donor if your cycle fails) and I guess they have never had to "pay it.") I am not sure if there is a right answer but we figured if we were going to give it another try we might as well give it the best shot. I do have a friend who had DE twins with Dr ?Ashby at B&W.

Violet
Violet

August 13th, 2012, 1:11 pm #6

I am not sure but I think I would not want to give up if this cycle fails. And there is a small part of me that fears the unexpected like only having 1 embryo despite the high success rates/proven donor and not even having a real chance. I remember the conversation with BIVF telling me "you have tons of time and and there is an 85% success rate with DE." Well that was 2 years ago....probably without the failed cycles I would have more confidence and not feel the need to pay the extra $.
That is interesting about the NK cells...who did your testing? Is the clinic going to prescribe the Neupogen/intralipids or the immunologist? When are you going to do your frozen transfer? I think you still have an excellent chance with your frozens. CCRM does not believe in intralipids, etc although they do use prednisone and an antihistamine protocol occasionally. I am going to put my trust in them and hope for the best.
Hi there,
I think you are right to put your trust in them. I have never heard anything negative about them. I am so glad you found an in-house donor. That makes it easier.

When you did the intralipids, etc did you have testing done or did you just decide to do it on your own? Sorry I can't remember!

I did the full immune workup with Dr. Braverman. I felt like I had to give the embryos I have their best chance and I also had a feeling something was going on w/ the immune stuff. It was worth it to me to go down to NY and spend the $ and time. DH agreed so we did it. He prescribed all of the meds and is working with my Dr. at BIVF.

Would you be comfortable talking offline with me about CCRM if my cycle with BIVF does not work out? We are very interested in them and will most likely use them or adoption if we don't get pg soon. I can provide my e-mail now or get in touch with you when I know about the cycle. not sure how much you check the boards.

I am happy and very hopeful for you.
Violet

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 13th, 2012, 5:26 pm #7

went to CCRM but did not opt for the guarantee - our situation was different though (had an outside donor). It did work first try there to my surprise with a single embryo tx. Had many failed cycles elsewhere with the same donor.

FWIW I had also tested positive for high NKs and some other things, but CCRM did not think I needed IVIg or intralipids or LIT (I had done those over the years with failed cycles). They did continue lovenox and folgard, added vitamin D and electroacupuncture.

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

August 14th, 2012, 12:51 am #8

I had a failed cycle with an ultra proven donor at Boston clinic which RE blamed on bad embryos. I moved on to SG. We had the option of paying for single cycle or doing the more costly guarantee program. We opted for the guarantee program and cycling was soooooo much less stressful knowing if it did not work we were not losing a ton of money, we could have another chance. As it turns out, I got a BFP on the first cycle and am now 22 1/2 weeks along. I do not regret spending the extra money...it was worth the piece of mind. GL to you.

hopeful7608
hopeful7608

August 14th, 2012, 12:27 pm #9

Hi there,
I think you are right to put your trust in them. I have never heard anything negative about them. I am so glad you found an in-house donor. That makes it easier.

When you did the intralipids, etc did you have testing done or did you just decide to do it on your own? Sorry I can't remember!

I did the full immune workup with Dr. Braverman. I felt like I had to give the embryos I have their best chance and I also had a feeling something was going on w/ the immune stuff. It was worth it to me to go down to NY and spend the $ and time. DH agreed so we did it. He prescribed all of the meds and is working with my Dr. at BIVF.

Would you be comfortable talking offline with me about CCRM if my cycle with BIVF does not work out? We are very interested in them and will most likely use them or adoption if we don't get pg soon. I can provide my e-mail now or get in touch with you when I know about the cycle. not sure how much you check the boards.

I am happy and very hopeful for you.
Violet
That is great that your Boston IVF doctor is working with you because that was not our experience. Pretty much we were told it is all about luck and the embryos. I did not do the NK testing because it would have been expensive and the cost of the intralipids and prednisone was cheap. I do have an autoimmune disease and did do all the clotting, ANA testing and had a mildly elevated ANA.

If I remember correctly, your frozen embryos are blasts, right? How many do you have left? I think that gives you a much better chance than I had. I would definitely talk to you about CCRM....so far we are happy but we should get the cycle calendar this week and I will know more. We were in the same boat considering adoption vs another cycle but ultimately felt we had slightly more control doing another DE cycle....we are 42 so on the cusp of being "too old" for adoption according to some agencies we talked to.

Violet
Violet

August 14th, 2012, 8:58 pm #10

My Dr. at BIVF said the same thing...all about luck and embryos however I felt like there was more to it than that so we went ahead with the testing for everything with Dr. Braverman.

After the fresh, we had 4 blasts so we thought that we had to give them the best shot. I am glad we did the testing. I just felt like I would always be wondering, "what if" if I did not do the full immune panel.

Thank you for being okay with talking offline about CCRM. I will be in touch soon.

I am excited for you about your calendar. That is the first step!
Violet