2 questions for graduates (preg ment)

2 questions for graduates (preg ment)

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

April 14th, 2012, 7:44 pm #1

Is the early OB ultrasound to check for heartbeat abdomenal or transvaginal?

For those of you who took aspirin as part of your protocol, how long into the pregnancy did you stay on the aspirin?

Thanks.

April 14th, 2012, 7:56 pm #2

I have to take heparin shots throughout my pregnancies, but some women don't.

The u/s stay transvaginal for a while. They won't be able to see anything through your abdomen for a long time.

Good luck to you!

Leigh
Leigh

April 14th, 2012, 8:04 pm #3

For those of you who took aspirin as part of your protocol, how long into the pregnancy did you stay on the aspirin?

Thanks.
..for the aspirin, from what I understand, as long as you're not on it for a clotting disorder...

As for the ultrasound, I've been told its primary purpose is not to check for a HB, but to check for proper early development of the yolk sac and fetal pole. If you're going next Monday, like me, we'll be 6 weeks, 2 days. There's only about a 50/50 chance they'll be able to detect a HB at that point.. Of course, if they don't, I may request a daily appointment until they do.

Hope you're doing well and feeling great!

Katie Robins
Katie Robins

April 14th, 2012, 10:50 pm #4

Thanks.
The first time I got a belly ultrasound was at 13 weeks and it was a nice change! After my transfer I went in at 6 weeks and had my first vaginal ultrasound and could see the heartbeat. I think the first heartbeat heard was at 9 weeks. I stayed on baby aspirin until about 12 or 13 weeks.

Good luck, Mrs. M!

E&H
E&H

April 15th, 2012, 12:57 am #5

Thanks.
1. I had transvaginal for quite long into my pregnancy as my stomach is not ultrasound friendly, don't know why, dr said some people you can not scan through the tummy and unfortunately I was one of those, even my 20 week scan he had to do some of it vaginally and i don't have a fat tummy.

2. I took aspirin all the way through as I am prone to pre eclampsia and its supposed to keep it at bay. I stopped at about 32 weeks.

demomone
demomone

April 15th, 2012, 1:49 am #6

Thanks.
First u/s is transvaginal..usually done before the heartbeat can be detected..to see placement of fetus.
BA is usually taken for the course of the pregnancy depending on the reasons why you are it. For those with clotting disorders..they need to be on it right up until before delivery and usually started again right after delivery ( I have a cloting factor and will be on it for life). For those who are just on it while they cycle, I am not sure but I would imagine they stay on it for the first 10 weeks.
Good luck to you!!!!!

April 15th, 2012, 2:36 pm #7

Thanks.
I had a wee bit of spotting at 6 weeks and was told to stop the aspirin and put on bed rest for 2 weeks (now at 37 weeks).

Wishing you all the best

Pict

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 15th, 2012, 2:50 pm #8

Thanks.
I didn't go to OB until 8 weeks, and at that point ultrasounds are usually abdominal. They do have a wand attachment to do a vaginal u/s but do not use it very often for pregnant patients in an OB practice.

For the ultrasound at 6.5 weeks requested by the out-of-town RE, I went to the local RE who had been doing monitoring anyway, and that was transvaginal.

As far as baby aspirin, for my first child I did not take it at all, but was on Lovenox until birth at 39 weeks, it was fine.

For second child I took baby aspirin (part of new clinic protocol) and the Lovenox, but did not like the side effects of the aspirin at all so got permission to stop @ 20 weeks or so. I had a lot of skin bruising and small cuts would bleed until I cut out the aspirin.