Peace To Leeds Lads From The East

Peace To Leeds Lads From The East

December 6th, 2017, 7:01 pm #1

Just had an ace couple of nights away in Filey. I think I went there as a kid but can't remember going since. What's the opposite of hustle bustle? That's what Filey is. Thought it was a lovely little unassuming place, smart, clean, chav free.
B&b was the best I've ever stopped in. Only been open a few months. Friendly, nice decor, big rooms, cock on breakfast. First night had some scran at The Star, good pub, couple of pints of Yorkshire Guzzler. Went back to the digs, wife wanted to watch that Bake Off nonsense so me and the mystic boy went off for a wander. It was so quiet, just lapping waves and the occasional gull. Went down to the bit where the lifeboat is stationed and sat on the wall there in more or less complete silence and looked at the stars, never seen them so clear. Millions of the blighters, such a clear night, felt you could see every one of them. Pair of us sat there for an hour going, 'Look at that one' 'Wooah, shooting star' etc. It was great.
Next day went up to this farm that the woman at the digs mentioned to get a pumpkin that once hollowed you could rent out as a bijoux apartment and then went for a hike up to Filey Brigg. Almost t shirt weather, fantastic views. Kept thinking how it wouldn't be there one day as it gets gradually worn away. Spent a few quid on those 2p machines that tip over the edge that you never win on and had a nice Italian meal that night.
Friday morning, Went down to Flamborough Head for a couple of hours. Just breathtaking how peaceful and scenic it was. Tramped around on the cliffs for a while, again, sun shining, birds singing. Then went down to the rocky beach and rock pools to explore. The waves were pretty placid, can only imagine what it's like out there when there's a storm, must be spectacular. Could have stayed for hours messing about on the beach and skimming stones with the lad.
Next stop was Beverley. Can't say I've ever been before. Pleasant surprise, bigger than I imagined. Had a York/Harrogate/Wetherby poshness about it. Nice place for a wander round, spent some time in the minster, worth a visit. Told my lad about white phone boxes which he didn't believe until he saw one.
Ace trip. Some parts of this country are breathtaking.

December 6th, 2017, 7:38 pm #2

Nice 1 fella, my cup of tea all that too, robin hoods bay and walk along the beach to boggle hole youth hostel, went to Whitby about a month back to see the goths wandering about worth a visit twice a year its on, I've been known to drive to Scarborough when it's windy to watch the waves love it, we certainly do have a mass of beauty in a 70 mile radius of Leeds should embrace it we are lucky, my favourite little walk is burnsall to grassington and back along the river if I have anything on my mind or bit down that always picks me up, admit not done since I was ill but I'm pretty well ready to have a go now...to this day I remember my mam taking us on buses and trains to see Yorkshire it is indeed gods county IMO

Must say the best fish and chips I have ever had are a bit further north at Whitley bay pontinos I think it was called near the front and ice cream to die for two doors down another Italian type place I rated Whitley bay nice people too.

December 6th, 2017, 11:41 pm #3

Just had an ace couple of nights away in Filey. I think I went there as a kid but can't remember going since. What's the opposite of hustle bustle? That's what Filey is. Thought it was a lovely little unassuming place, smart, clean, chav free.
B&b was the best I've ever stopped in. Only been open a few months. Friendly, nice decor, big rooms, cock on breakfast. First night had some scran at The Star, good pub, couple of pints of Yorkshire Guzzler. Went back to the digs, wife wanted to watch that Bake Off nonsense so me and the mystic boy went off for a wander. It was so quiet, just lapping waves and the occasional gull. Went down to the bit where the lifeboat is stationed and sat on the wall there in more or less complete silence and looked at the stars, never seen them so clear. Millions of the blighters, such a clear night, felt you could see every one of them. Pair of us sat there for an hour going, 'Look at that one' 'Wooah, shooting star' etc. It was great.
Next day went up to this farm that the woman at the digs mentioned to get a pumpkin that once hollowed you could rent out as a bijoux apartment and then went for a hike up to Filey Brigg. Almost t shirt weather, fantastic views. Kept thinking how it wouldn't be there one day as it gets gradually worn away. Spent a few quid on those 2p machines that tip over the edge that you never win on and had a nice Italian meal that night.
Friday morning, Went down to Flamborough Head for a couple of hours. Just breathtaking how peaceful and scenic it was. Tramped around on the cliffs for a while, again, sun shining, birds singing. Then went down to the rocky beach and rock pools to explore. The waves were pretty placid, can only imagine what it's like out there when there's a storm, must be spectacular. Could have stayed for hours messing about on the beach and skimming stones with the lad.
Next stop was Beverley. Can't say I've ever been before. Pleasant surprise, bigger than I imagined. Had a York/Harrogate/Wetherby poshness about it. Nice place for a wander round, spent some time in the minster, worth a visit. Told my lad about white phone boxes which he didn't believe until he saw one.
Which Italian was it mate ? There’s one as you get down towards the bottom of the Main Street on the left, always got good early bird offers. The other one is left off that same street to the next block, on a quieter road, a bit more for locals. That one is more like the Filey “Flying Pizza”, a bit more upmarket, and the food is a probably a bit better, but a bit pricier. As for the York Guzzler, I think all the York Brewery beers are pretty good. My favourite is the Ghost, it weighs in at 5.4 percent, but I like the Terrier as well, nice body on it for a 4.2 job. If you want a bit of head space, there is nowhere better than a walk along the tops at Filey. Wish I’d been there today, I’m doing something I fuckin hate at the moment.

December 7th, 2017, 10:02 am #4

Probably best beach in east coast I’ve been to not stoney or shayley mind you if you wanna spend a bit of time down there with kids etc get down there early cos the tide comes in at like 3 o’clock as me an the enemy found out a few year back. As for Beverley not a bad night out particularly if you go to races

December 7th, 2017, 10:49 am #5

Nah then Realharvest, nice post here regarding Filey but need to pull you up regarding Beverley, we've had some great weekends there for the races and we've even gone for weekends when there are no races on. But.....Beverley posh? I never feel that, I always feel it's just a great mid sized East Yorkshire town, loads of great pubs/bars (16 I think off the top of my head)and even a Weatherspoons now. You can get a train into Hull if you want something different to Beverley.

December 7th, 2017, 11:10 am #6

Beverley is to Hull what Harrogate is to Leeds !!!
Posh - its all relative pal!
Now, Cherry Burton, mind that is proper posh!

December 7th, 2017, 12:01 pm #7

You've never been to Normy I take it?
We've been known to have footballers move to Normy. 😄

December 7th, 2017, 2:10 pm #8

Which Italian was it mate ? There’s one as you get down towards the bottom of the Main Street on the left, always got good early bird offers. The other one is left off that same street to the next block, on a quieter road, a bit more for locals. That one is more like the Filey “Flying Pizza”, a bit more upmarket, and the food is a probably a bit better, but a bit pricier. As for the York Guzzler, I think all the York Brewery beers are pretty good. My favourite is the Ghost, it weighs in at 5.4 percent, but I like the Terrier as well, nice body on it for a 4.2 job. If you want a bit of head space, there is nowhere better than a walk along the tops at Filey. Wish I’d been there today, I’m doing something I fuckin hate at the moment.
I had to look it up, it's pantrini's on marine avenue I thought they were outstanding, then a couple of doors down its pizza and ice cream it all seems Italian, lovely big pizza oven ...they done all the sea front up me and mrs had a walk along on a cold blowy night but still enjoyed it, funny seeing all the dogs running around on the beach with luminous collars on like shooting stars zapping about, we had done a removal job to cramlington from york so thought we would have a look, £110,000 gets you a nice 3 bed end terrace up there lovely house ready to live in great value....2 degrees colder than here though.

December 9th, 2017, 8:48 am #9

What was name of guest house pal we stayed in one called white rose a couple of years back ,it was lovely...

December 9th, 2017, 9:43 am #10

Hollowing out pumpkins in December?