Lucid dreams or just dreams you know you are dreaming

Lucid dreams or just dreams you know you are dreaming

July 19th, 2001, 8:56 am #1

I´m not the most experienced lucid dreamer, but I've been having a lot of success this last days, and my brother came up with the following thing he heard from a psychiatrist:
You're not really lucid when lucid dreaming, it´s just a "movie" about doing it.
So lds would be ordinary dreams about recognizing you are sleeping. I have to say I really disagree with that, and I think only those who have been there know what I'm talking about. I know it's a possibility, but even if it is true, it doesn't really matter, that wouldn't change the feeling.
I can't prove that I am awake right now! But it wouldn't really matter, because it would feel just the same, and I would keep on living! I'm just mentioning this because I want to know if there is any scientific proof that you are awake during the sleep, or that it's just an ordinary dream. I also want to know your opinion in this matter.

P.S.: May I say that the psychiatrist was a freudian and never experienced a lucid dream with control as far as I know

July 19th, 2001, 9:08 am #2

That's a really intersting concept, but when you dream lucidly, your mind has recognized that you are within the dream. There are feelings you experience durring these dreams that you just cannot experience anywhere else. It may however be possible to have a dream of lucidly dreaming... but that isn't lucid dreaming :)

July 19th, 2001, 9:10 am #3

I´m not the most experienced lucid dreamer, but I've been having a lot of success this last days, and my brother came up with the following thing he heard from a psychiatrist:
You're not really lucid when lucid dreaming, it´s just a "movie" about doing it.
So lds would be ordinary dreams about recognizing you are sleeping. I have to say I really disagree with that, and I think only those who have been there know what I'm talking about. I know it's a possibility, but even if it is true, it doesn't really matter, that wouldn't change the feeling.
I can't prove that I am awake right now! But it wouldn't really matter, because it would feel just the same, and I would keep on living! I'm just mentioning this because I want to know if there is any scientific proof that you are awake during the sleep, or that it's just an ordinary dream. I also want to know your opinion in this matter.

P.S.: May I say that the psychiatrist was a freudian and never experienced a lucid dream with control as far as I know
...or is it? woah, this is making me think i dont have an answer now. wow.

Zeez
Zeez

July 19th, 2001, 9:28 am #4

Well okay, im no real expert. But still:

When dreaming lucidly you can identify sounds, feelings
etc. from the real world, like if somebody whispers
in your ear you hear it, and when LD:ing, you may
know that this is not from your dream.

So how can your dream be a "movie", when somebody
else can affect it too ?

transient
transient

July 19th, 2001, 1:21 pm #5

what's weird for me is although dreams seem really real when they're happening, all I have to do is pose the question to myself and I will know without actually checking anything that I'm dreaming. It's like you just know sometimes.

also it seems that this reality...i just know is real.. I can also prove it because no matter how much i believe I can fly unaided, I can't =]

Volcanus
Volcanus

July 19th, 2001, 8:03 pm #6

It would be like a movie, but it's course could be altered by external stimuli(eg. whisper in your ears). I see a big difference between lds and dreams about lucid dreaming. People that lucid dream from childhood(frequently) seem to not make a big deal out of this. They are ordinary dreams, sometimes fun, but ordinary. Now, people who practise to do this seem to find lds much more fun and vivid. I can tell this from knowing my brother who has lds without practising but doesn't think they are very special and I, that practised and now have very vivid and fun lds. It sounds like my brother has dreams about being awake, while I have the real lds. I'd like to hear from any readers that experience lds very frequently since childhood, to see if this is true or it's just with my brother.

July 19th, 2001, 10:05 pm #7

There is definitely a difference between dreaming that you are having a lucid dream and actually being in a lucid dream. I know that I have no scientific proof of it, but I know that I have had both kinds of dreams and I know for a fact that lucid dreams are real. However what's fact to me is shit to other people so my opinion doesn't really matter.

July 20th, 2001, 1:26 am #8

if you had a dream about lucid dreaming, wouldn't you then realize you were dreaming, hence the dream becoming an actual lucid dream?

Volcanus
Volcanus

July 20th, 2001, 4:07 pm #9

I would probably realize I was dreaming, but sometimes that doesn't happen. Some people just carry on with the dream and only realize their mistake when they wake up. I also had dreams like that. I was wondering if any of LaBerge's experiments could show a difference between these dreams. Like the one about singing and counting in an ld and observing right and left hemisphere activity of the brain. Could that happen in ordinary dreams too?

July 20th, 2001, 5:29 pm #10

I've had dreams where I dreamt I was lucid dreaming; it's VERY easy for an untrained dreamer not to see that as a dreamsign, and just go along with it. There's definitely a difference between that and lucid dreaming.