Yarders?

Yarders?

August 20th, 2009, 8:34 pm #1

Why is it that every time a new guy gets into this business everyone insists there a yarder? I have been called a yarder many times, and can still, out work most of the workers in the ring today.
I know a guy that was trained by some of the best in the business. He worked for a major company, retires, comes back in under a new gimmick, you call him a yarder. Why is that?
Please! I need help with this.

Are most of the people on here that call people yarders, actual workers, or just a bunch of marks?

One and Only
One and Only

August 20th, 2009, 9:08 pm #2

You speak the truth my dude. But there are some people on the indy scene that are actual backyard wrestlers, or "untrained" but not in the yard. Some may actually start to pick some shit up and get pretty good. But will still be known as yarders. But I wish you the best of luck in your "professional" career.

August 20th, 2009, 11:16 pm #3

if someone calls somebody a yarder, it may be because they have seen them on video giving curbstomps and canadian destroyers in a yard during a backyard show. you can't take them seriously.

August 21st, 2009, 12:23 am #4

The term yarder is overused with out a doubt. A yarder is somebody who backyard wrestles, I guess you could say for some, "they were a yarder". But for guys who were just plain "untrained" or poorly trained, they are not yarders. There is not really a term for the poorly trained wrestlers, so the word "yarder" gets tossed in there. West Virginia is unfortunately covered with poorly trained wrestlers and untrained wrestlers, because there are no real authoritive figures in that entire state. Pennsylvania and Ohio have a bit of promotions filled with these guys too, and New York and New Jersey have a lot of them too. I am sure they exist all over the place, and thats why indy wrestling can't draw. If one fan goes to a shit show with untrained/poorly trained guys making fools of themselves just to have fun, those fans are going to be insulted and it disrepects the business (business=money too for you genious ones). So the overall image of indy wrestling unfortunately is "not worth going to" because such a negative image has been spread to the common world of Pro Wrestling. So the average fan compares these wanna be wrestlers to what they know as backyard wrestling. Because honestly, there is not much of a difference other than a building and a ring. In West Virginia, that is all you need. There are no laws, so if you have a ring and a building, you can run as many shows as you want using whoever you want. So guys in WV who have been "working" for 15 years, might have the comparable experience factor to an average indy worker 2 years in the business, if not worse. But they take the "vet" card and try to run things, and might even open a training school and mislead innocent kids with a dream.

August 21st, 2009, 7:43 am #5

A lot of times, they call each other yarder on here just to insult the person, honestly there are a lot of untrained people out there, but I know some guys who have been trained and been around for years and still can't work a match, then some kid who wrestled in his back yard, but now wrestles in a ring with a little help from a vet they are great. The point is we all take this too seriously, the point is were all just play fighting and sure it's fun, and it's a thrill and thats why we do it, because for 5 or 10 mins were important, but then it's back to our regular life's which in most cases either flipping burgers, living with the folks, or working in some unloading dock( like the movie " the wrestler ". Another fact is that wrestling is full of a bunch of wannabe superstars, who think people remember them, but they don't. we all kid ourselves that were superstars and that we mean something, but in reality we have done nothing. Now you can say what you want, but I can bet I have been wrestling longer than most of you, I have wrestled in front of more people than most of you and have made more of an impact than most, but that is not going to matter, because your not going to see my point, your going to ignore it and keep on living a lie. But I used to be guilty of taking this to seriously and I thought I was someone for being a wrestler and sure I had a pretty good fan following for a lot of years, and I was very close to the big time. But I'm not bitter I enjoyed it and regret nothing, but I am also realistic.....99% of the people reading this will never make it, and they all think they allready have. Get over yourselves anyone can wrestle and guess what you don't have to get trained to be good, heck there the smarts ones, they got in for free and I had to pay 3000 dollars
years ago!

August 21st, 2009, 12:30 pm #6

The problem is, poster above me, when people like you that say things like "don't need training to be good" and "don't take this seriously", and then claim to be a vet who has prospered more then most people in this area. I'm going to open a pizza shop, hire the first 5 random people that I see, put a bunch of random cooking utensils in front of them and run from a table on the side of the road. Now, I've always thought owning a pizza shop would be fun, but I'm pretty sure the Better Business Bureau or something along those lines would be all over me. My point is, the reason people CAN join this business who just "want to have fun" is because there's nothing that governs who can and cannot join. I guarantee if any of the Athletic Commissions would set it up where trainers had to be certified(or else they'd immediately get shut down and fined), promotions had to run professionally and up to regular business standards(aka paying EVERYONE and having stuff up to code, aka probably more than 80% of the promotions in the tri-state area going under), and promoters had to apply and be approved for real business lisences, there would be a real change for the good in professional wrestling. In time you could even make a living off of it. The sad part is, we shouldn't NEED a governing body to force us to make these things the norm, we should all know better. I would even say take all that other stuff out and just make it so the promoter had to actually business credentials with proof of pay and everything being up to code, and that would be enough, because it would keep people like the guys in Mckeesport, Uniontown, West Newton(obviously I'm a Pittsburgh guy) and the countless "companies" in West Virginia and Ohio from running. If you'd been around as long as you claim, you would have seen when this was treated like a real business. I'm not saying I think everything was perfect or that every guy could make a living cause I know that's not true, but you had the opportunity. Now, because of guys like you if you really are a Vet giving this advice out, and "yarders", and "promoters", that opportunity isn't even there.

August 22nd, 2009, 7:23 am #7

You friggin retards do not get it do you?

You Get mad because you are untrained and called yarders.

I get mad because you are untrained and call yourselves Pro Wrestlers!

August 22nd, 2009, 2:16 pm #8

Whos you guys?...WE WANT NAMES

August 22nd, 2009, 4:36 pm #9

Theres a long list, just about all of UCW, RWA, too many to list in West Virigina, and that is just in this area alone.

August 22nd, 2009, 9:39 pm #10

The funny thing is that when you read about or watch someone that is in the WWE, they all started out by wrestling their friends in backyard matches. By the "current" use of the word, everyone is a yarder even if you get trained and make it to the big dance.