Former WWE Diva Dawn Marie accussed of embezzling from Wrestlers Rescue

Former WWE Diva Dawn Marie accussed of embezzling from Wrestlers Rescue

July 24th, 2010, 7:22 am #1

According to Mike Aldren, who is the editor of The Wrestling Globe Newsletter and a writer for The UK Sun, former WWE Diva Dawn Marie Damatta is accused of embezzling money raised by her "Wrestlers Rescue" organization to fly herself to conventions around the country in order to make money from autograph signings and appearances. "Wrestlers Rescue" is a charity organization created by Damatta to help support the health care needs of retired pro wrestlers. When questioned by Aldren, Damatta set her attorney on him, who admitted that "Wrestlers Rescue" is not a registered charity.

Activist Irvin Muchnick then posted the following on his blog which was noted to him by Aldren: "Nobody seems to know where all the money has gone nor has anyone seemingly benefited from the money that Dawn has raised over the past three years. Her former friends have told me she uses the money to fly herself to conventions around the country so she can profit from autograph signings. She has agreements with several promoters where if she flies herself in she will get a free table to sell her merchandise. When I started asking reasonable questions, Dawn set her attorney on me, who admits Wrestlers Rescue is not a registered charity."

Additionally, it's being said that a host of a radio show has made similar accusations against Damatta, claiming that the FBI is actually investigating both her and "Wrestlers Rescue" for possible embezzlement. His claim is that the organization did not refund money for a canceled benefit cruise back in April 2010.

The host also claimed that Damatta did not aid Dr. Death Steve Williams as promised when she held a benefit for the late pro wrestler last year to aid him in his fight against cancer. The host claimed that money raised from the benefit did not help Williams get the voice box needed to assist him in speaking.

It's being said that the organization's website, which was suspended for sometime last night, but is now working again.
Last edited by indymessageboard on July 25th, 2010, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 24th, 2010, 1:43 pm #2

If all this is true, then I have lost alot of respect for Dawn Marie. That is a shame.

Bull Miller
Bull Miller

July 24th, 2010, 5:48 pm #3

Well I hope it aint true. But the organization should have some proof as to ware the money may have went and what GOOD it may have been for.

Many of the legends and old time workers could use a organization such as this. If even it was to give them a couple hundred here and there to help them get over rough spots. It should be remembered many of the past greats did not make the money todays stars make. And now that they are older, hurting, and no nothing but the bizzzz, I am sure they need some help.

Lets hope this proves to be not true and that Dawn is actually doing some good.

- Bull

July 24th, 2010, 6:10 pm #4

According to Mike Aldren, who is the editor of The Wrestling Globe Newsletter and a writer for The UK Sun, former WWE Diva Dawn Marie Damatta is accused of embezzling money raised by her "Wrestlers Rescue" organization to fly herself to conventions around the country in order to make money from autograph signings and appearances. "Wrestlers Rescue" is a charity organization created by Damatta to help support the health care needs of retired pro wrestlers. When questioned by Aldren, Damatta set her attorney on him, who admitted that "Wrestlers Rescue" is not a registered charity.

Activist Irvin Muchnick then posted the following on his blog which was noted to him by Aldren: "Nobody seems to know where all the money has gone nor has anyone seemingly benefited from the money that Dawn has raised over the past three years. Her former friends have told me she uses the money to fly herself to conventions around the country so she can profit from autograph signings. She has agreements with several promoters where if she flies herself in she will get a free table to sell her merchandise. When I started asking reasonable questions, Dawn set her attorney on me, who admits Wrestlers Rescue is not a registered charity."

Additionally, it's being said that a host of a radio show has made similar accusations against Damatta, claiming that the FBI is actually investigating both her and "Wrestlers Rescue" for possible embezzlement. His claim is that the organization did not refund money for a canceled benefit cruise back in April 2010.

The host also claimed that Damatta did not aid Dr. Death Steve Williams as promised when she held a benefit for the late pro wrestler last year to aid him in his fight against cancer. The host claimed that money raised from the benefit did not help Williams get the voice box needed to assist him in speaking.

It's being said that the organization's website, which was suspended for sometime last night, but is now working again.
The Wrestling Globe Newsletter is a dirt sheet. And Irvin Muchnick is an activist. All activists are biased and have their own agendas, so how can you trust him? I'll wait to hear what Dawn Marie has to say. Don't believe a dirt sheet.
Nobody credible has said anything about this.
Last edited by indymessageboard on July 25th, 2010, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 24th, 2010, 9:08 pm #5

Well I hope it aint true. But the organization should have some proof as to ware the money may have went and what GOOD it may have been for.

Many of the legends and old time workers could use a organization such as this. If even it was to give them a couple hundred here and there to help them get over rough spots. It should be remembered many of the past greats did not make the money todays stars make. And now that they are older, hurting, and no nothing but the bizzzz, I am sure they need some help.

Lets hope this proves to be not true and that Dawn is actually doing some good.

- Bull
Anyone can accuse anyone else of anything but that doesn't make it true. I will reserve any negative judgement or opinion until I hear otherwise from a legitimate source.

July 25th, 2010, 1:22 am #6

The Wrestling Globe Newsletter is a dirt sheet. And Irvin Muchnick is an activist. All activists are biased and have their own agendas, so how can you trust him? I'll wait to hear what Dawn Marie has to say. Don't believe a dirt sheet.
Nobody credible has said anything about this.
If it isn't true then why isn't there proof of what good has been done? Why not just answer questions instead of being directed to a lawyer. At this point you'd think to do damage control you would have a press release with facts proving what good you're doing.

The fact that this story has been around with no statement from Dawn isn't showing her and her organization in a good light. There's no excuse, these kind of accusations deserve a "drop everything" approach. Even a statement that said proof will be coming this week would satisfy most.

July 25th, 2010, 5:07 am #7

the benefit show she ran for Dr. Death was suppose to money raised toward a Voice Box for him, but guess what......he never got the voice box and I would like to know why. Ive been told by several people that Dawn Marie was using some of the money to fly to and from conventions, indy shows, etc. Which that means she was using the money to gain profit by going to these shows, conventions, and such. That my friend is Embezzlement.

July 25th, 2010, 11:32 pm #8

Anyone can accuse anyone else of anything but that doesn't make it true. I will reserve any negative judgement or opinion until I hear otherwise from a legitimate source.

````````i totally agree. and am with bull, and just hope its not true. when the proof starts off with "Her former friends have told me" that right there is a red flag, because you know no former friends ever would tell a lie about a former friend. and she would pay for her own flight instead of a table? also makes me wonder. first i have to think a flight would cost way more than a table. and if she is really imbezzeling cash, this is not a very good way to hide it, so if she did this,would she really do it in such a dumb way?

If it isn't true then why isn't there proof of what good has been done? Why not just answer questions instead of being directed to a lawyer.

``````i agree that would be nice, but in many cases a lawyer will simply tell the client to not make any statement at all, for their own protection.

the benefit show she ran for Dr. Death was suppose to money raised toward a Voice Box for him, but guess what......he never got the voice box and I would like to know why.

``````i also agree. i have no idea how much a voice box costs, so its possible they just didnt raise enough cash, or maybe doc passed away before he could get it. who knows. just hopefully something thats a great cause like this doenst turn out to be bullshit.

http://indywrestling.net

If you are a wrestler or Indy Fed that wants to be linkled on myspace or Indywrestling.net just contact me, or go to the myspace link and click add to friends.

http://myspace.indywrestling.net

http://women.indywrestling.net

http://nudewomenofwrestling.indywrestling.net

"Some people say what I do is not wrestling. If it isn't, then what I do is better than wrestling." - Necro Butcher

Some people are like Slinkies........They serve no apparent purpose in life other than to occasionally bring joy to ones heart when they are pushed down a flight of stairs.

July 28th, 2010, 1:09 am #9

the benefit show she ran for Dr. Death was suppose to money raised toward a Voice Box for him, but guess what......he never got the voice box and I would like to know why. Ive been told by several people that Dawn Marie was using some of the money to fly to and from conventions, indy shows, etc. Which that means she was using the money to gain profit by going to these shows, conventions, and such. That my friend is Embezzlement.
Dawn Marie issued the following statement via her Wrestlers' Rescue group in response to rumors that she had misappropriated funds brought in by her organization:

On behalf of myself, the Wrestlers' Rescue organization, and the many volunteers and donors, I'd like to strenuously deny and condemn the false and baseless defamatory statements currently circulating concerning an alleged investigation and or corruption in Wrestlers' Rescue. Not only are the accusations false they contain no merit and they are disrespectful to the volunteers who have invested their time, energies, and hearts into helping former professional wrestlers in need.

These statements (most of which appear to have begun following comments made by Mike Aldren) are defamatory and contain no basis or fact. These unfounded false allegations have put at risk our efforts to help the former stars who currently face major personal, medical, and financial crises. The damage these falsehoods may have done to real people (not wrestling "characters") is immeasurable.

I am currently weighing options for an appropriate and comprehensive response. When I have decided on my best course of action, as well as exploring legal options on behalf of both myself and Wrestlers' Rescue, I will address all allegations.

A full and complete refutation of all false claims will accompany our forthcoming formal response, in the courts and/or other venues. More importantly, though I wish to express the anger I feel that for the sake of a few web hits and some false ego-gratification, all those who spread his falsehoods as "truth" may have put at risk Wrestlers' Rescue's attempts to aid good and well-loved people facing enormously difficult circumstances.

Unfortunately, internet rumor mongers feel that they can tarnish people and an organizations reputation without any evidence and still have impunity. It is truly shameful that I must even dignify these individuals who have nothing more than time and a computer, to address these harmful and baseless allegations.

I give thanks to all my friends and colleagues who have called and written to express their anger at this attack and their support of me. It is for people like you and not the Mike Aldren's of the world that Wrestlers' Rescue exists and will expand.

Dawn Marie

July 28th, 2010, 2:55 am #10

I hate how so many people jumped on the band wagon that Dawn is a fraud before they ever allowed her a forum to defend herself. Im a personal friend of Dawn, so naturally I will defend her. People who are bashing Dawn forget to realize the expense of legal fees, corporation fees, phones, & misc. to maintain a charity . Guess who swallowed any losses & upstart fees to Wrestlers Rescue? DAWN!!!! What ever profits that trickled in with ebay sales, auctions, went in to some holding account. I know for a fact that Steve Williams was sent approximately $5000.00 to help off set mounting medical expenses prior to his untimely death. I know an additional $2000 was donated in conjunction from the Cauliflower Alley Club.

I am very upset that everybody who is associated with Dawn was lumped in as thieves or con artist on various message boards without anybody asking for a statement or any proof. To my knowledge, only one person in the wrestling business decided to distance them self based on the recent negative article that was circulating.

When Dawn filed for the 501(c)(3) paper work to become a non profit charity it needed a corporate structure to be shown in the paper work. This is why I am listed as secretary. I started all of that paperwork before having it out sourced to an attorney to be completed.

The 501(c)(3) filling is a long tedious headache of paper work to fill out and file. I believe it took Dawn almost a year to have it all sorted & filed. The actual 501(c)(3) company is listed as Pro Wrestling Releif, (Dawn already had Wrestlers Rescue LLC organized and filed as a for Profit so we could begin the work that needed to be done.). I know Dawn personally shelled out a few thousand dollars in filing the 501(c)(3) paper work & the lawyer fees that took to complete it. As a 501(c)(3) they are eligible for tax free status and grants.

My participation within Wrestlers Rescue consisted of signing for free at Dawns convention, raffling a gift basket at the Paul E Normous memorial show, agreeing to be on the cancelled cruise, & helping Dawn gather the 501(c)(3) paper work [which was completed by a lawyer]. Various people accused me and others of having our hands in the cookie jar, despite NEVER handling or having any access to any money. I guess asking me about my participation would be too much of an oversight. To my knowledge, the participation of most wrestlers was either volunteering their services & donating memorabilia in order to be used for fund raising purposes. To call any wrestler a thief would be grossly inaccurate, since we never handled the financial aspects of the charity.

Tammy to my knowledge only did the convention, some miscellaneous errands, agreed to be on the cruise & be apart of a book deal that will be out for release in 2011. Tammy did not have any access to any money. Rather then mention what her actual participation was for Wrestlers Rescue, Tammy released statements that hurt everyone that has volunteered their services to Wrestlers Rescue. Though her comments may have hurt many of us on a personal & business level I can understand if she may have reacted out of fear and concern for herself. The way everyone had reacted and smeared this obvious smear campaign is scary.

Like I stated earlier, Dawn will release a statement showing her innocence & the lack of research done in the many malicious articles. My personal feelings are a friend defends each other until there is proof that shows that they are guilty. Im defending Dawn until I see proof that she misappropriated funds. I believe in Dawn based on the character of her as a person, rather then just blindly throw accusations without her side of the story.

Missy Hyatt
1st Lady of Wrestling