Muskies solid foundation

Muskies solid foundation

July 8th, 2012, 12:35 pm #1

The Lindsay Muskies through all the turmoil in the league such as coaching problems, daddy owners, money problems, scandals I read each day remain a top notch organization. They appear to have an owner that is dedicated, NOT a daddy owner who supports the team and REALLY wants to win at some point, not sure if that will happen soon but... Their coaches remain loyal. Its a successful spot to play based more on the jrB model of decent fan support smaller market but decent teams each year. They have a tough time attracting the top recruits based on location I think not being along the 401 corridor but if they ever were able to form a group there they'd be dynamite I think. People talk about the Kingstons and Wellingtons etc but its teams like Lindsay that continue to plug along and provide decent competition and still move players onto the next level. The league isnt going to survive with 4 big teams but teams like lindsay and such should be very important to this league. Too bad the likes of Huntsville, Bowmanville, Collingwood, Orillia have all lost out in the past. The larger clubs will always be able to get those top players and City teams will continue just due to shear #'s. I wish some sort of draft like the Ottawa area has could be developed in the OJHL to maintain a level playing field of some sort. My opinion the OJHL must somehow get rid of all these teams that struggle in the stands and poor ownership and take in some top jrB clubs to spread out and improve the quality of the league overall, until then it'll be a few horses in the race each year and the rest are just pulling the plows......

July 8th, 2012, 2:10 pm #2

It's like 'out of the frying pan into the fire' for the Muskies though, moving from the strong East to the strong North Division but with "no weight given to Divisional opponents" in the new, (it's out there somewhere) schedule their fans will still get a chance to see lots of old rivals. They should be able to be one of the top eight in the Conference come playoff time with many teams having to inject a lot of new faces..hey but it's too early to start and predickshuns.

July 8th, 2012, 2:32 pm #3

Yes you are correct Ron, tough North division but I think its better to have great competition all season then hit the playoffs ready rather than, perhaps, cruising along in weaker division and not be prepared for a crossover at some point. Just like we saw in the NHL playoffs this past season, a decent team with great goaltending and injury luck can go all the way with momentum! should be interesting...how will your teams your way shape up this season?

July 8th, 2012, 3:25 pm #4

The Lindsay Muskies through all the turmoil in the league such as coaching problems, daddy owners, money problems, scandals I read each day remain a top notch organization. They appear to have an owner that is dedicated, NOT a daddy owner who supports the team and REALLY wants to win at some point, not sure if that will happen soon but... Their coaches remain loyal. Its a successful spot to play based more on the jrB model of decent fan support smaller market but decent teams each year. They have a tough time attracting the top recruits based on location I think not being along the 401 corridor but if they ever were able to form a group there they'd be dynamite I think. People talk about the Kingstons and Wellingtons etc but its teams like Lindsay that continue to plug along and provide decent competition and still move players onto the next level. The league isnt going to survive with 4 big teams but teams like lindsay and such should be very important to this league. Too bad the likes of Huntsville, Bowmanville, Collingwood, Orillia have all lost out in the past. The larger clubs will always be able to get those top players and City teams will continue just due to shear #'s. I wish some sort of draft like the Ottawa area has could be developed in the OJHL to maintain a level playing field of some sort. My opinion the OJHL must somehow get rid of all these teams that struggle in the stands and poor ownership and take in some top jrB clubs to spread out and improve the quality of the league overall, until then it'll be a few horses in the race each year and the rest are just pulling the plows......
Evalu8tor,

I agree with some of what you say, and not so much on certain other issues.

First off, you make a strong case that the "Fish" are a decent franchise with stable ownership and good community support.

And yes, you are correct that contraction thus far hasn't helped one iota. The league continues to take teams out of good smaller locales, all the while leaving some crappy clubs alone in and around the GTA. Golly, it's almost like the league braintrust wanna make the OJHL into the old Metro league, isn't it?

As for "Daddy Owners", once again it is what it is......and everybody knows it.

Where I differ in opinion is your verbal swipe at Kingston, Wellington and seemingly any team along the 401 (or QEW) corridor. That's garbage and you know it! Recruiting doesn't happen by accident and Lindsay has just as much chance as anybody else. It's all about beating the bushes and making your club an attractive destination.

In reality, the Muskies were an afterthought for numerous years because of the past regime in place....and no other reason. Let's make that perfectly clear! I mean, where are the banners....the tradition of winning? Ask yourself, where would you rather play.....a winning team or a middling one? It sounds like the same old whimperings that have come out of Cobourg the last few seasons!

As for all my trips to the old "Duke Dome" in Wellington, I don't recall it anywhere near the 401. More like forty minutes or so! And MA doesn't seem to have trouble building league contenders year in and out, or sending lots of kids to NCAA or Canadian Universities.

So, playing that card doesn't work either.

And before anybody starts in on Dupont or Abrams spending oodles of cash, let's remember the merger between Peterborough and your little old team in Lindsay. You basically swallowed up another club and get all their talent. Wow, now doesn't that sound fair and reasonable to other clubs throughout the league having to recruit their tails off, while Lindsay is just handed theirs!

I'm betting the cost of merging is way, way higher than any amount Trenton, Aurora or any other team could possibly spend in one season.

In reality, having a few top notch teams that everybody despises is actually good for the league. It makes everybody become more competitive and gives fans a reason to cheer on their team and hate the others. Sort of like the New York Yankees or Montreal Canadiens! It's been said that parity is the one of the quickest ways to gain fan apathy.

So, Evalu8tor, you need to man up and see things for what they truly are. The excuses should stop here and now! Even though Mattucci has done a great job thus far, you appear to have a given up already.

The future looks quite bright in Lindsay. In my estimation, Lindsay will likely be a top two team in the North Division this season.

July 8th, 2012, 3:33 pm #5

Yes you are correct Ron, tough North division but I think its better to have great competition all season then hit the playoffs ready rather than, perhaps, cruising along in weaker division and not be prepared for a crossover at some point. Just like we saw in the NHL playoffs this past season, a decent team with great goaltending and injury luck can go all the way with momentum! should be interesting...how will your teams your way shape up this season?
The Blades lost a lot of players and with new ownership they have to be a bit of a wild card at the moment. The Cougars have a lot of young talent if they can keep them together. Nothing much on the Red Wing front but I think a fresh start behind the bench is needed. The Sabres should be entertaining with Mr. Peca directing the players. I am looking forward to seeing the 'new' rink in Port Credit, one of my favourites of old. Like the Cougars, the IceHawks have some good young talent led by the brothers Renouf and it would be good to see this franchise near the top again and the Raiders always seem to get it done. Some different regular-season opposition for the 'Wings this time around in the form of the Patriots, Junior Canadiens, Buzzers, Chargers and Rangers.

July 8th, 2012, 3:52 pm #6

Evalu8tor,

First off, you make a strong case that the "Fish" are a decent franchise with stable ownership and good community support.

And yes, you are correct that contraction thus far hasn't helped one iota. The league continues to take teams out of good smaller locales, all the while leaving some crappy clubs alone in and around the GTA. Golly, it's almost like the league braintrust wanna make the OJHL into the old Metro league, isn't it?

Where I differ in opinion is your verbal swipe at Kingston, Wellington and seemingly any team along the 401 (or QEW) corridor. That's garbage and you know it! Recruiting doesn't happen by accident and Lindsay has just as much chance as anybody else. It's all about beating the bushes and making your club an attractive destination.

In reality, the Muskies were an afterthought for numerous years because of the past regime in place....and no other reason. Let's make that perfectly clear! I mean, where are the banners....the tradition of winning? Ask yourself, where would you rather play.....a winning team or a middling one? It sounds like the same old whimperings that have come out of Cobourg the last few seasons!

As for all my trips to the old "Duke Dome" in Wellington, I don't recall it anywhere near the 401. More like forty minutes or so! And MA doesn't seem to have trouble building league contenders year in and out, or sending lots of kids to NCAA or Canadian Universities.

And before anybody starts in on Dupont or Abrams spending oodles of cash, let's remember the merger between Peterborough and your little old team in Lindsay. You basically swallowed up another club and get all their talent. Wow, now doesn't that sound fair and reasonable to other clubs throughout the league having to recruit their tails off, while Lindsay is just handed theirs!

I'm betting the cost of merging is way, way higher than any amount Trenton, Aurora or any other team could possibly spend in one season.

In reality, having a few top notch teams that everybody despises is actually good for the league. It makes everybody become more competitive and gives fans a reason to cheer on their team and hate the others. Sort of like the New York Yankees or Montreal Canadiens! It's been said that parity is the one of the quickest ways to gain fan apathy.

So, Evalu8tor, you need to man up and see things for what they truly are. The excuses should stop here and now! Even though Mattucci has done a great job thus far, you appear to have a given up already.

The future looks quite bright in Lindsay. In my estimation, Lindsay will likely be a top two team in the North Division this season.
Please do not start with JD and MA.THEY PAY PLAYERS!! Plain and simple.They will never admit it but they do.Stop paying and see what they have!!

July 8th, 2012, 4:07 pm #7

Unless there is tangible proof of payment, your comments aren't fair. Now I'm not saying it isn't a possibly, but....In instances like Kingston a few years back, players talked openly about getting paid.

You would think in today's day and age it would get out if these guys were really greasing the skids.

To answer your question: What those guys have are continual winners? And like I stated, even if they did/do pay, (which I am not implying) didn't Cobourg twice and now Lindsay basically one up that by buying a team and their rosters?

How is that any different, or better?

July 8th, 2012, 8:07 pm #8

My wife and I went out for breakfast this morning and ran into Muskie acquaintances all over the place. Vince Herlihey was at one table, one of the teams bus drivers was at another, and Stuart Fierheller's grandparents were at another. It was starting to look like the old "Fish Pond".

Everyone is raring to go!

If the team does well I expect lots of critisism due the fact of the merger. I understand it though because it's the same way I felt watching Cobourg recently.

July 9th, 2012, 1:18 am #9

it is a long summer without news of the fish.
why is it they always let the interest in the team die in the summer months.
you would assume that any business would like to keep the interest up.

July 9th, 2012, 1:37 pm #10

Evalu8tor,

Lounger
Firstly I respect your opinion as it appears you have a good handle on this league. I don't have a penny invested in Lindsay and was using them as an example.
Your comment "your little old team" is precisely what I'm talking about.
I didn't want to disrespect wellington or kingston at all both are top notch teams that work very hard every year. Wellington brings in talent based on their history and coaching I agree. All I'm saying is that I guess a dream for this league would be some sort of draft for parity that's all. As far as merging with the Stars from what I've heard not much was left at the end of the season.
Its just that this league could be a great one and its frustrating to watch.
Thanks