2012 RBC Cup

2012 RBC Cup

April 23rd, 2012, 9:07 pm #1

This is strictly my take on the upcoming RBC Cup. Hopefully, there aren't too many factual errors.

Please feel free to weigh in and make a prediction or two.

This years tourney is shaping up as one of the worst in recent memory. As far as I can tell, only two of the teams have a legitimate shot at winning the national championship. Often there are favourites, yes, but not likely multiple teams with almost zero chance to succeed.

The favourites: One being the winner of BC/Alberta, which I presume will be the Penticton Vees. The other is host, Humbolt.

Even Steven: I believe Portage gets the free ride in, due to the fact they currently face off against the Saskatchewan champs, the RBC host team. By all accounts, the Terriers aren't awful, but shouldn't be a threat. Portage finished at the bottom of the RBC Cup last season, with a much stronger field. Look for the Manitoba team to make it to the semis, but bow out meekly. The Terriers should end the tourney somewhere around even.

East is almost least: One presumes Woodstock will come away with the right to represent the East. And although the MJHL is of relatively poor quality, the Slammers would appear to have more than either Nepean or Princeville. Nepean barely won their league, having to come back in their last two series to even qualify. The Cental was most definitely not the CCHL of recent past. As for the Titans, Quebec teams have rarely faired well! The winner of the East will likely win 1 game and be outscored by an average of five goals a game.

Cental Chumps...er Champs: Take nothing away from their Dudley victory, but, the Soo will likely endure an awful week. I presume at least two of their games might be double digit defeats. If the T-Birds can keep the score within 2-3 goals against the East and Portage, at least they won't have embarrased themselves.

April 23rd, 2012, 10:12 pm #2

Lounger, I agree with your predictions, although I think Nepean will represent the East.

As far as the Soo goes, they simply are not an RBC calibre team. In two games against Stouffville (who likely would have lost out in the semis at the RBC had they qualified), they were outshot 93-42 and outscored 13-7.

I spent a few weeks in northern Ontario this season and had the opportunity to watch them play a couple times. Based on my viewings, I honestly do not think they would have been a .500 team in the OJHL. Their goalie came up big in the final, and Stouffville's did not (in my opinion the Dudley Hewitt format should be revised in order to avoid situations exactly like this).

On the other end of the spectrum, I fully expect Penticton to dominate this tournament. They are the class of Canadian Junior A hockey this season, and I think they would be able to beat many Major Junior teams.

April 24th, 2012, 3:51 am #3

I don't particulary agree with what you say. I believe the east will be fairly strong. Nepean has an extremely talented team and would no doubt have walked through the dudley fairly easily. I would think they would have beaten stouffville by atleast 6 goals. Same to woodstock. havent seen them but the MHL is probably the second or third strongest league in canada.

April 24th, 2012, 10:43 pm #4

i go with Penticton, Humbolt, Nepean, Portage, Soo.

Soo will def be the weakest team, might get by portage the way the Dukes did last year. but they'll need the same kind of goaltending they got in the DHC championship game. i too am afraid they will get embarrased, but hope they can keep a few games interesting.

I watched the Dudley Finals on the DHC link. Spirit controlled the play, but also made more crucial mistakes. most of the shots were from the permiter,and they looked rushed. Older Soo had the patience and confidence to pull it off. As for the thrashing the soo took in the round robin, whitby had one of those in every series they played, yet they still went on to win all but one.

better League? OJ, Better Team? Spirit hands down and the spirit win the series in 5-6 but you're way off in assuming the Soo are less than a 500 team in the OJ. They have a pile of guys that either played in the O or were drafted, few guys with schollies as well.

I've had this conversation with numerous current and ex players of the OJ and the NOJHL. Never had one tell me the NOJHL is better league, but say the top 3 teams in the NOJHL would end up SOMERWHERE in the top 10 of the OJ. All say what i witnessed, the top lines in the NOJHL are equal to the top lines of the OJ, It's the 3rd and 4th lines are the difference makers in making the OJ a better league.

Take a look at the scores of the Dudley, other than one game, the OJ was anything but impressive.

April 25th, 2012, 12:09 am #5

Seems ridiculous to say teams have no chance in a one week tourny. This style of competition leaves it open so any team has a chance to get hot. Just like the Dudley Hewitt, any team can win with a couple bounces or a hot goalie. The best team does not always win no matter how superior they are. Its like that saying about the opposite sex Mr/Ms right or Mr/Ms Right now.

"

April 25th, 2012, 6:09 am #6

Call me a conspiracy theory nutcase, but I think the RBC Champion script was written last fall and the BCHL celebrating its 50th anniversary this year had already picked Penticton to be the star of the show. Reduction of playoff qualifying teams from 14/16 to 8/16 meant an easier road to Alb/BC Championship Doyle Cup. League teams out of the hunt at Christmas could unload premium players to fill the few gaps Penticton may have needed filled prior to the trade deadline.

While strange things can happen in the RBC tournament format, expecting the Soo with 18 local players on the roster to compete with a team like Penticton who literally goes to all corners of the continent to shop for their players would be a stretch. Look at Penticton's 20 player roster (max roster size in BC is 20 players) and you see half come from outside BC including 6 from Minnesota. The 19 and 20 year old "rookies" on the Penticton team will be tough to play against.

April 26th, 2012, 4:53 pm #7

Just how good are the vees? shaterred recrod for most consecutive wins in the always tough BCHL.

On thier roster they 3 NHL drafted players. 16 NCAA commitments and of those as many as 3 more could be be selected in the 2012 NHL entry draft.

all that being said, they've lost games and the Brooks Bandits actually outshot the Vees by a wide margin the other night in game two of their series, but still lost 1-0

April 26th, 2012, 5:54 pm #8

Just an update from Fred Page Cup. After watching all teams yesterday it looks like Nepean is head and shoulders above rest of competition. Princeville very weak but do have a good goalie. Woodstock rough but could barely beat host team. Nepean has good goaltending, awesome 3 on defense, but only one and a half lines that are a threat. Definately not as good as Pembroke was last season.

April 26th, 2012, 6:58 pm #9

Some ex-OJHL'ers on the Slammers roster...

Ryan Purvis (Collingwood, Couchiching, Aurora)
Chris Rygus (Georgetown, Huntsville)
Rob Visca (Orangeville)
Connor Tresham (North York)
Tim Campbell (North York)
Jake Logan (Kingston, Trenton, Bowmanville, Wellington)

April 29th, 2012, 5:58 pm #10

This is strictly my take on the upcoming RBC Cup. Hopefully, there aren't too many factual errors.

Please feel free to weigh in and make a prediction or two.

This years tourney is shaping up as one of the worst in recent memory. As far as I can tell, only two of the teams have a legitimate shot at winning the national championship. Often there are favourites, yes, but not likely multiple teams with almost zero chance to succeed.

The favourites: One being the winner of BC/Alberta, which I presume will be the Penticton Vees. The other is host, Humbolt.

Even Steven: I believe Portage gets the free ride in, due to the fact they currently face off against the Saskatchewan champs, the RBC host team. By all accounts, the Terriers aren't awful, but shouldn't be a threat. Portage finished at the bottom of the RBC Cup last season, with a much stronger field. Look for the Manitoba team to make it to the semis, but bow out meekly. The Terriers should end the tourney somewhere around even.

East is almost least: One presumes Woodstock will come away with the right to represent the East. And although the MJHL is of relatively poor quality, the Slammers would appear to have more than either Nepean or Princeville. Nepean barely won their league, having to come back in their last two series to even qualify. The Cental was most definitely not the CCHL of recent past. As for the Titans, Quebec teams have rarely faired well! The winner of the East will likely win 1 game and be outscored by an average of five goals a game.

Cental Chumps...er Champs: Take nothing away from their Dudley victory, but, the Soo will likely endure an awful week. I presume at least two of their games might be double digit defeats. If the T-Birds can keep the score within 2-3 goals against the East and Portage, at least they won't have embarrased themselves.

Is Ontario ever going to hold this event? Its always in Alberta or BC or some Western Province.