Trundling Rattlesnake Mountain

Trundling Rattlesnake Mountain

June 15th, 2016, 4:20 am #1

Being on my own on Sunday, it was a good day to visit a mountain not far from Boise. I was curious about Rattlesnake, because it looked like a very scenic hike.

It is not far in miles, but it took about two hours to get there. The roads were in good shape, even the last section before Tipton campground -bless the Forest Service, my tires are grateful. Driving Blacks Creek Road into the South Fork canyon was an experience.

On the left side of this photo you see a very apparent gully, I hiked up the ridge to the left of the gully. From the trailhead there is a road that pretty much takes you to the start of this ridge. It is then a roll-your-own-trail kind of affair to the top of the main ridge -easy except for a nasty thicket of brambles.

After hitting the top there was a pleasant walk to the mountain, but the desolation of the landscape struck me. I knew the area had been affected by fire, but I thought there would be hints of a recovery. A firebreak was still visible close to the top of the ridge.

There was a register dating back to 2005, and somebody had been there the week before.

After enjoying the views at the top I continued along the ridge to meet the very civilized Devil's Creek trail that leads back to the campground -loops are nice.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 15th, 2016, 4:59 am #2

Increasing fire season and "climate change" depresses me. Rattlesnake has been on my list for a while but I've been hesitant due exactly to what you say: fire devastation.

Sad to read you say there are no signs of recovery. Anybody know what year that area burned?

zdv
zdv

June 16th, 2016, 5:52 am #3

I think the burn was pretty recent when Dan and I climbed this peak in 2001.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 16th, 2016, 12:36 pm #4

Wow, it typically take 15+ years to show any signs of recovery? Or is this an indicator of something more serious such as said "climate change"? Or maybe the FS allowing fuels to build up resulting in hotter burns? Doom and gloom!

June 16th, 2016, 2:30 pm #5

In a dry climate, it can take the land a long time to naturally recover. Here's the results of the 1994 Blackwell fire above McCall. 22 years and counting.....

June 16th, 2016, 11:00 pm #6

Being on my own on Sunday, it was a good day to visit a mountain not far from Boise. I was curious about Rattlesnake, because it looked like a very scenic hike.

It is not far in miles, but it took about two hours to get there. The roads were in good shape, even the last section before Tipton campground -bless the Forest Service, my tires are grateful. Driving Blacks Creek Road into the South Fork canyon was an experience.

On the left side of this photo you see a very apparent gully, I hiked up the ridge to the left of the gully. From the trailhead there is a road that pretty much takes you to the start of this ridge. It is then a roll-your-own-trail kind of affair to the top of the main ridge -easy except for a nasty thicket of brambles.

After hitting the top there was a pleasant walk to the mountain, but the desolation of the landscape struck me. I knew the area had been affected by fire, but I thought there would be hints of a recovery. A firebreak was still visible close to the top of the ridge.

There was a register dating back to 2005, and somebody had been there the week before.

After enjoying the views at the top I continued along the ridge to meet the very civilized Devil's Creek trail that leads back to the campground -loops are nice.
It was me who was there the week before
I do NOT recommend trying to bushwack (literally) on the very unmaintained trail to the West of the mountain. I thought I would save 2 miles but it was NOT worth it.
It was much easier coming back down the Devil's Creek Trail. I would recommend ascending via that trail too.

September 3rd, 2017, 5:43 pm #7

Climbed both 8,703' "Upper Lava Mountain" and 8,177' Rattlesnake Mountain this past Friday.

The Rattlesnake Mountain summit register (metal wine bottle container) badly needs replaced if anybody is up for the task? It's nearly rusted shut and banged up, although I was able to crack it open by lightly tapping the lid with rocks. Once inside, despite being concealed inside THREE redundant zip lock bags, I found the register itself is getting moist and contaminated with rust. Guessing the entries/history will be lost over the next few seasons. See link/photos below for a visual.

Interestingly the "Upper Lava Mountain" register used the same metal wine bottle container, but it was in much better shape. Perhaps due to less tampering, I was only the fifth party (person) to sign the register since it was placed in 2005, and the first person since 2010!

Trip report:https://www.strava.com/activities/1163608227
Video:https://youtu.be/SZr_T69F0-E

September 4th, 2017, 1:31 am #8

Something is missing here...?
OH yeah- COWS!

Thanks for a great TR, Erik

Confirmation of reply: