Storm Dome: still not climbed?

Storm Dome: still not climbed?

August 9th, 2010, 3:54 am #1

Tom's book and a thread on this site in Oct. 2008 suggest Storm Dome has not yet been scaled. Is this still true?

If so, it's hard to imagine some young guns haven't knocked this one off. It's a dramatic face that is a fairly easy 8 mile hike from the trailhead. I'm not a climber, but I am a geologist and noticed that it's composed of very uniform, pristine granite. I imagine that part of the difficulty of this face is that the joint system is parallel to the face.

Some pics I took over the weekend:

For non-climbers like me, it's just a nice place to visit and sight-see. If you go, don't forget your camera:

And your fish pole:

Jim

August 9th, 2010, 12:50 pm #2

Jim-
Thanks for the fantastic pics.
I haven't been in there since 1997. But I seem to remember that on Storm Dome the cracks don't run vertically, and that any features that are there are undercut (no ledges).
There is a lot of granite in the Lick Creek range, but as far as I know only a few spots have been worked. From what I'm told, the hot climbers are gravitating to the limestone in Hells Canyon and above Riggins.

August 11th, 2010, 1:20 am #3

Tom's book and a thread on this site in Oct. 2008 suggest Storm Dome has not yet been scaled. Is this still true?

If so, it's hard to imagine some young guns haven't knocked this one off. It's a dramatic face that is a fairly easy 8 mile hike from the trailhead. I'm not a climber, but I am a geologist and noticed that it's composed of very uniform, pristine granite. I imagine that part of the difficulty of this face is that the joint system is parallel to the face.

Some pics I took over the weekend:

For non-climbers like me, it's just a nice place to visit and sight-see. If you go, don't forget your camera:

And your fish pole:

Jim
I've taken a look with my 53 year old 5.8 eyeballs, and agree with some of the local rope guns who took a look at it a few years ago and said it needed either 5.14 skills or a full aid-wall outfit. Given the burly approach with 80 lbs of aid gear I'm not surprised it is still unclimbed. Lots of roofs to push through. That said, It's time for someone to do it.

August 11th, 2010, 3:12 am #4

I'd volunteer to be part of a support team....haul in gear, catch fish, etc. It's a pleasant hike and it would be awesome to see the wall being climbed.

August 11th, 2010, 6:30 am #5

Looks like a sweet adventure! I'm not a technical climber but I think It would be cool to hear about if someone did it.

August 11th, 2010, 7:41 pm #6

I've taken a look with my 53 year old 5.8 eyeballs, and agree with some of the local rope guns who took a look at it a few years ago and said it needed either 5.14 skills or a full aid-wall outfit. Given the burly approach with 80 lbs of aid gear I'm not surprised it is still unclimbed. Lots of roofs to push through. That said, It's time for someone to do it.
You're right about the approach being a major factor. You can ride a mtn bike for a good portion, though. It's hard to take two weeks off to make an attempt on Storm when you can go to Hell's Canyon, walk 15 minutes and drill and climb to your hearts content for two weeks!

BUT, if I were to have a strategy on an attempt, I would aid anything above .11a and comeback later to free the rest (if possible) after setting up the belays.

Don't lowball yourself. You're probably more technically and mentally sound than most of the gym rats we see out there! I bet you have the skills to pay the bills.

It's funny how things up there go in spurts. I remember Jughandle being a destination (still is) when Mike S. put up some HARD stuff. Just one line has to go up... We need a music montage...

Confirmation of reply: