Spring Outing Final Plans - Please Read If You are Going!

Spring Outing Final Plans - Please Read If You are Going!

Dan
Dan

April 28th, 2011, 5:18 pm #1

I know this post is going to make some people happy and others mad. I dont like the decision making aspect of these outings damn weather!

<strong>The outing is going to switch to Peak 10941 in the Boulder Mountains.</strong> I know Wes drove nearly to the lower launch site yesterday, but I dont see how we can get a bunch of vehicles in there. Not to mention the fact that I dont like the idea of group camping on a cold windy night in a snow field. Plus there is the whole new snow prediction for Thursday and Friday that wont really have a chance to melt off the road before Saturday morning... not a great road to drive in snowy conditions.

Here are the new plans:

Friday night I have reserved a condo at the Woodmont Apartments in Hailey. The address is 740 Red Ash Drive #F4 in Hailey, Idaho

This is a 3 bedroom condo. We should be able to sleep about 8 people (maybe more) if people dont mind sleeping on couches and floors. You are all welcome to stay there. Bring a sleeping bag and pad in case all of the beds are taken. I will be at the condo around 6pm on Friday. We can meet there, have some dinner and hangout for the evening. IF YOU ARE COMING IN FROM BOISE ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND LEAVING ON SATURDAY AFTER THE OUTING, PLEASE CONTACT ME AND WE CAN DISCUSS CAR POOLING.

Saturday morning we will meet at the trailhead at 8am. The trailhead is 20.5 miles north of Ketchum where Owl Creek and Spring Creek meet ID 75. We will follow the southwest ridge of Peak 10941.

*** This peak will require skis or snowshoes. It might be a good idea to bring an ice axe and crampons, however that depends on your comfort level on snow. John Platt did not need him on his snowshoe of the peak.

I apologize for being wishy-washy on this trip. There was no way I could have predicted a cool spring like this. In years past, I have seen King Mountain nearly snow free by mid-April. I didnt expect that, but I fully expected us to be able to easily drive to 7,200 feet this year. See you on Friday or Saturday!

April 28th, 2011, 5:52 pm #2

Dan your welcome to ride with me if you like. I am picking up Paul in Nampa or Boise around 2:30 to 3. So far Paul is the only one riding with me. I have a 4 door Toyota pickup so have room for a couple more. My number is four one two-5623 or email me at jacobrobinson@hotmail.com

Jacob R.

Dan
Dan

April 28th, 2011, 7:19 pm #3

Email sent

SummitGirl
SummitGirl

April 29th, 2011, 1:14 am #4

I know this post is going to make some people happy and others mad. I dont like the decision making aspect of these outings damn weather!

<strong>The outing is going to switch to Peak 10941 in the Boulder Mountains.</strong> I know Wes drove nearly to the lower launch site yesterday, but I dont see how we can get a bunch of vehicles in there. Not to mention the fact that I dont like the idea of group camping on a cold windy night in a snow field. Plus there is the whole new snow prediction for Thursday and Friday that wont really have a chance to melt off the road before Saturday morning... not a great road to drive in snowy conditions.

Here are the new plans:

Friday night I have reserved a condo at the Woodmont Apartments in Hailey. The address is 740 Red Ash Drive #F4 in Hailey, Idaho

This is a 3 bedroom condo. We should be able to sleep about 8 people (maybe more) if people dont mind sleeping on couches and floors. You are all welcome to stay there. Bring a sleeping bag and pad in case all of the beds are taken. I will be at the condo around 6pm on Friday. We can meet there, have some dinner and hangout for the evening. IF YOU ARE COMING IN FROM BOISE ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND LEAVING ON SATURDAY AFTER THE OUTING, PLEASE CONTACT ME AND WE CAN DISCUSS CAR POOLING.

Saturday morning we will meet at the trailhead at 8am. The trailhead is 20.5 miles north of Ketchum where Owl Creek and Spring Creek meet ID 75. We will follow the southwest ridge of Peak 10941.

*** This peak will require skis or snowshoes. It might be a good idea to bring an ice axe and crampons, however that depends on your comfort level on snow. John Platt did not need him on his snowshoe of the peak.

I apologize for being wishy-washy on this trip. There was no way I could have predicted a cool spring like this. In years past, I have seen King Mountain nearly snow free by mid-April. I didnt expect that, but I fully expected us to be able to easily drive to 7,200 feet this year. See you on Friday or Saturday!
can i have a little help? i can't pull this location up on google earth...i can get close. I wanna pull a map for my gps and mark the summit... email me at id summitgirl at g mail dot com. thanks.

Geo
Geo

April 29th, 2011, 1:23 am #5

43.86983N, 114.5863W

First peak North of Cerro Ciento

-George

SummitGirls
SummitGirls

April 29th, 2011, 2:47 am #6

that's what i needed...a landmark...Cerro Ciento...merci

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 29th, 2011, 2:46 pm #7

Here are the new plans:

How many are going?

Dan
Dan

April 29th, 2011, 3:05 pm #8

7 confirmed for Friday night. A few maybes for Friday night. I have no idea of a count for Saturday. Feel free to respond here is you plan on making it.

Wes
Wes

April 29th, 2011, 3:33 pm #9

Here are the new plans:

I was on King yesterday, the snow above 9k is still pretty punchy and the skiing above 9,500' wasn't any fun at all. Nothing a little warm weather or new snow wouldn't fix!

Dan
Dan

April 29th, 2011, 5:11 pm #10

Here are the new plans:

This is a photo John sent me of the ridge on 10941. This got me pumped... looks awesome!

Confirmation of reply: