Soldiers Traverse

Soldiers Traverse

June 30th, 2011, 4:02 pm #1

Mike F. and I are going to attempt a traverse of 1st, 2nd, 3rd Peaks, and Smoky Dome this Saturday. We're going to leave my vehicle on one end and his on the other so we can through hike and not have to retrace our route. My question is, is the ski resort the closest you can get to 1st peak on the East side? The plan is to use start at the Ear Creek Corrals and do Smoky Dome first and then hike east over the other three peaks.

June 30th, 2011, 4:20 pm #2

Hi Matt. If you have Mtn bikes you can ride up the S. Fork of Soldier Creek (past the ski area and campground). Take the first road that goes to the South (about a mile in). You can then start up the road (you may have to hike-a-bike over deadfall) and it will take you to the old Snow cat warming hut platform. Stash bikes here. Start up the 2nd Peak ridge, cut across and you'll be on the NE ridge of 1st Peak. Do the traverse. Then drop into the basin and contour at 8800 to 8400 back to the 2nd Peak ridge. You should end up at the warming hut platform and be able to ride out. Might be easier than the steep descent into Ear Creek. Just an idea... I've been kicking it around once the snow is gone. I would be too tempted to bring my skis with it still around !

June 30th, 2011, 4:36 pm #3

That's a really good idea! Thanks for the info. I'll have to talk it over with Mike.

Mike F.
Mike F.

July 1st, 2011, 1:18 am #4

Great Idea Luddite! Any Idea on how a subaru will fair on the way to the trail heads? I know the resort road is good but the other one I have herd was a little dicy. any thoughts?

July 1st, 2011, 3:17 pm #5

You're right, the resort road is good to the end where the Soldier Creek TH is. Now comes the "but"! Chimney Creek road can be bad due to ruts on the uphills. The first mile past the house has always been good since the Bobbleheads use it as a trailhead in the winter. My girlfriend lived in the house just off the road. I used to be able to drive my VW Bug up to the sheep corrals later in the summer. The corrals are between the W. Fork of Corral Creek and Ear Creek. I would say that it's probably at least 5 miles to the corrals from the turn off of Hill rd. To conclude, I don't think that I would take my Suby up there in the spring. I could be wrong since I am no longer a local!

If you do go up that way, let me know how the road is. I would like to ride up to the lookout from the corrals.

July 1st, 2011, 4:22 pm #6

Mike F. and I are going to attempt a traverse of 1st, 2nd, 3rd Peaks, and Smoky Dome this Saturday. We're going to leave my vehicle on one end and his on the other so we can through hike and not have to retrace our route. My question is, is the ski resort the closest you can get to 1st peak on the East side? The plan is to use start at the Ear Creek Corrals and do Smoky Dome first and then hike east over the other three peaks.
Looking at the map it looks like the Corral Creek Road gets closer to the peak than the Chimney/Ear Creek road does. Is taking Corral Creek a viable option or not?

July 1st, 2011, 5:04 pm #7

I have only been up there a couple of times later in the fall and a long time ago. There was an unbridged crossing of Corral creek. I don't think you could get as far up as you could taking Chimney creek. I just found a Summer rec map for Camas county and it shows the corrals as a TH, but nothing for any other road south of the Soldiers.

http://www.thebizevolution.com/Fairfiel ... n-Map1.pdf

July 1st, 2011, 5:26 pm #8

Hmm... ok. I guess we'd better stick to Chimney Creek.

July 1st, 2011, 7:00 pm #9

Can you guys try to get a picture of the West side of the ridge that runs North from Smokey Dome? I've skied the East side, but I would like to do an up and over onto the West face.

Centered here:
http://maps.google.com/?ll=43.505235,-1 ... 3&t=p&z=15

Thanks,
Ralph

July 1st, 2011, 7:02 pm #10

Sure. No problem!

Confirmation of reply: