SNRA history

SNRA history

August 13th, 2010, 5:23 pm #1

The Sawtooth National Recreation Area was created in 1972, and public use of these lands was heavy from the get go. The report for 1974 showed 2000 mountaineering days of usage. Who were these mountaineers and what peaks did they scale?

The main impetus for creation of SNRA occurred in 1968 when ASARCO proposed an open pit moly mine on the northeast slopes of Castle Peak. This proposal was rebuffed by a coalition of environmentally concerned Idahoans including Ernie Day, Frank Church, Len Jordan, Cecil Andrus, Russ Brown, and others. Now, they are almost all gone, and so too are the mountaineers of that era.
If you were an Idaho mountaineer in the 1960's-1970's PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORIES !

For me, 1974 was a good year, full of memories. My new bride and I, along with her sister and my brother, all fit in my orange Chevy van. We traveled from home in New Jersey to Colorado to camp hippie-style and climb Fourteeners (9 that summer vacation). It seems like yesterday, not 36 years ago.

From the summit of Mount Frank 10857' on 8/11/09 the view is NNE to 'Mt Pat' 10718' (I'd like to meet you sometime and learn your last name), and 11202' Cardiac Peak on right. These peaks overlook the contested mining claim areas in the White Cloud Mountains.

Once, somebody on this forum claimed to know ALL the White Cloud peaks had been climbed, and for an IPA he'd loosen his tongue.
Well friend, I've got some cold Deschutes Inversion India Pale Ale in the fridge. Come on over sometime and we'll share stories- all fully documented of course

August 13th, 2010, 6:32 pm #2

Rick-
Tom Lopez's website has some early Sawtooth tales here:
http://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/What's%20Newid128.htm
We climbed in the Sawtooths in the early 70s (including with Ray and his crew), but with big packs full of pitons we rarely carried cameras and didn't bother recording ascents.

Is your picture the same peak to which SuperDave refers as BornQuiet Peak (TR @http://idahoalpinezone.com/index.php?p=2_29)? Nice peak.

Sean
Sean

August 14th, 2010, 4:35 am #4

The Sawtooth National Recreation Area was created in 1972, and public use of these lands was heavy from the get go. The report for 1974 showed 2000 mountaineering days of usage. Who were these mountaineers and what peaks did they scale?

The main impetus for creation of SNRA occurred in 1968 when ASARCO proposed an open pit moly mine on the northeast slopes of Castle Peak. This proposal was rebuffed by a coalition of environmentally concerned Idahoans including Ernie Day, Frank Church, Len Jordan, Cecil Andrus, Russ Brown, and others. Now, they are almost all gone, and so too are the mountaineers of that era.
If you were an Idaho mountaineer in the 1960's-1970's PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORIES !

For me, 1974 was a good year, full of memories. My new bride and I, along with her sister and my brother, all fit in my orange Chevy van. We traveled from home in New Jersey to Colorado to camp hippie-style and climb Fourteeners (9 that summer vacation). It seems like yesterday, not 36 years ago.

From the summit of Mount Frank 10857' on 8/11/09 the view is NNE to 'Mt Pat' 10718' (I'd like to meet you sometime and learn your last name), and 11202' Cardiac Peak on right. These peaks overlook the contested mining claim areas in the White Cloud Mountains.

Once, somebody on this forum claimed to know ALL the White Cloud peaks had been climbed, and for an IPA he'd loosen his tongue.
Well friend, I've got some cold Deschutes Inversion India Pale Ale in the fridge. Come on over sometime and we'll share stories- all fully documented of course
Good information- thanks for this and all your posts. Without posts like this, the history of climbing in these areas slowly slips away.

August 17th, 2010, 4:06 am #5

Ernie Day (1918-2008) was an Idaho wilderness activist. His exquisitely sublime photo of Castle Peak has often been credited as the catalyst for saving the White Clouds from mining development.

In 2008 Congressman Mike Simpson introduced a measure to name an unidentified peak in the Sawtooth Wilderness 'Mount Ernie Day'. The motion was referred for further study, but apparently nothing has happened.
It is suggested the 9942' peak east of Castle Peak be known a Mount Ernie Day.
View E from Castle Lake to Mt Ernie Day.

From the summit of Mount Ernie Day this view is W to Castle Peak. The re-erected survey target signal is of unknown origin, but it may relate to ASARCO's 1968 plan for an open pit mine in this amphitheater.

View NE to Mt Ernie Day (prom 562') from the Little Boulder-Wickiup divide.
Ernie Day's classic photo of Castle Peak was taken from the air above this peak.
All photos Aug 15-16, 2010.

August 17th, 2010, 3:08 pm #6

Castle on fire

The east face of Castle Peak, looking like an Idaho Maroon Bell, is aglow 15 minutes after sunrise.
Camera setting on 'sunset light'.

View NW to Merriam Peak. Serrate Ridge to left. On the upper stretch of the mountain chanced to meet 'Mr White Clouds' Dave P, who had just picked off yet another of the 78.
30 minutes later I signed him in.

Merriam Peak summit view NW.
Lakes: Quiet, Shallow, Scree.
Peaks: Mt Frank, Lonesome, D.O. Lee.

All photos 8/16/10. My Ida #901.

Rob W
Rob W

August 17th, 2010, 3:49 pm #7

Great photos!!

Dave
Dave

August 18th, 2010, 7:17 pm #8

Castle on fire

The east face of Castle Peak, looking like an Idaho Maroon Bell, is aglow 15 minutes after sunrise.
Camera setting on 'sunset light'.

View NW to Merriam Peak. Serrate Ridge to left. On the upper stretch of the mountain chanced to meet 'Mr White Clouds' Dave P, who had just picked off yet another of the 78.
30 minutes later I signed him in.

Merriam Peak summit view NW.
Lakes: Quiet, Shallow, Scree.
Peaks: Mt Frank, Lonesome, D.O. Lee.

All photos 8/16/10. My Ida #901.
Rick, great to meet you in person. I sure didn't expect to crest the ridge and see anyone on the obscure "Mount Ernie Day" that afternoon.

Here's another angle on the glowing Castle Peak:
http://www.summitpost.org/image/650854/ ... nrise.html

There are a couple others photos from the trip on my SP account. Will be a few days before I get all my pics sorted out for a trip report.

August 19th, 2010, 2:25 pm #9

Ernie Day (1918-2008) was an Idaho wilderness activist. His exquisitely sublime photo of Castle Peak has often been credited as the catalyst for saving the White Clouds from mining development.

In 2008 Congressman Mike Simpson introduced a measure to name an unidentified peak in the Sawtooth Wilderness 'Mount Ernie Day'. The motion was referred for further study, but apparently nothing has happened.
It is suggested the 9942' peak east of Castle Peak be known a Mount Ernie Day.
View E from Castle Lake to Mt Ernie Day.

From the summit of Mount Ernie Day this view is W to Castle Peak. The re-erected survey target signal is of unknown origin, but it may relate to ASARCO's 1968 plan for an open pit mine in this amphitheater.

View NE to Mt Ernie Day (prom 562') from the Little Boulder-Wickiup divide.
Ernie Day's classic photo of Castle Peak was taken from the air above this peak.
All photos Aug 15-16, 2010.

From bold Mount Frank across the Quiet Lake chasm to staunch Merriam while Mt Ernie Day stands watch in background

August 19th, 2010, 9:01 pm #10

Thanks for sharing the photo, and the others you've shown recently from the area. "Castle on Fire" was particularly awesome.

I've stood on the west shore of Quiet Lake several times and wondered what it looked like from above. The photo shows it's deeper on the west side than the east side.

There are large cutthroat in the lake, but I've yet to find a way to entice one to take my hook. I shall keep trying.

Quiet Lake and 4 Lakes Basin are among my favorite spots. They are out of the way from the normal White Clouds loop, so they don't see many visitors.

Jim

Confirmation of reply: