Snow climbing

Snow climbing

July 8th, 2011, 9:54 pm #1

I was reading for several years on this great web site all those wonderful mountaineering trip reports. Thank you all for sharing! I finally came to the point, where I need to check with you on something that I was thinking about for quite some time

I am interested for a long time to start climbing in the snow, but I do not know how to start, what additional equipment is necessary and, in addition, I have no regular partner. It seems that the current conditions in Idaho are really awesome for the snow climbs these days... And I would appreciate if anybody could consider a complete novice to the snow climbing (that is me, a fair weather day hiker/peak bagger) to tag along with you this weekend (or later) on your snow routes. I do have snowshoes, Petzl strap-on crampons, ice axe and all that other normal hiking gear... Any possible help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance! iddayhiker@gmail.com

July 8th, 2011, 11:13 pm #2

Knowing about when to climb is extremely important for both enjoying spring/summer snow climbs and safety. Here's a recent thread about it http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717/t ... to+set+up-

Also, knowing proper footwork with crampons and ice axe techniques are essential. Google and youtube have endless info on these topics and others such as ice/snow anchors, roped travel (less common here than on glaciers, but still done sometimes), and other subjects. I hope this helps, and if I go anywhere soon I'll let you know.

Bob
Bob

July 9th, 2011, 3:02 pm #3

I was reading for several years on this great web site all those wonderful mountaineering trip reports. Thank you all for sharing! I finally came to the point, where I need to check with you on something that I was thinking about for quite some time

I am interested for a long time to start climbing in the snow, but I do not know how to start, what additional equipment is necessary and, in addition, I have no regular partner. It seems that the current conditions in Idaho are really awesome for the snow climbs these days... And I would appreciate if anybody could consider a complete novice to the snow climbing (that is me, a fair weather day hiker/peak bagger) to tag along with you this weekend (or later) on your snow routes. I do have snowshoes, Petzl strap-on crampons, ice axe and all that other normal hiking gear... Any possible help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance! iddayhiker@gmail.com

Read my "Cheap Advice" piece from June 21 on this forum. I did my best to sum up both equipment and safety from my own experience. You don't have to go far to practice snow climbing here in Boise or almost anywhere in Idaho. We hiked up the back side of Shafer Butte after the ski season was over and used one of the hardened up black diamond ski runs for brushing up on our anchoring and crevasse rescue techniques prior to doing Mt Rainier a few years ago.

Bob

July 9th, 2011, 3:21 pm #4

Get yourself a copy. Still the best treatise on snow and glacier climbing out there. Probably lots of used copies floating around any used book store.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. -Robert A. Heinlein

July 10th, 2011, 7:20 pm #5

Thank you all for the recommendations! Good starting points indeed. Book has been ordered. Hope that there still will be an opportunity for some snow climbs this summer

Confirmation of reply: