Return to Petros

Return to Petros

June 22nd, 2011, 12:21 pm #1

We got kicked off of Petros in a whiteout in April, so it was nice to go back on a sunny day in June.
Trip report:
http://www.splattski.com/2011/petros_2/index.html

Still lots of snow!

Wes
Wes

June 22nd, 2011, 4:22 pm #2

That's one of the better scree skis in the range for sure. Did you get a feel for the snow on the back side of the range, is it all bonded into one layer?

June 22nd, 2011, 4:42 pm #3

Wes-
We weren't able to do a good evaluation of the snow, but things seemed fairly cohesive. However, it was an overnight low in Mackay of 50°, so everything was slurpy, even first thing in the morning.

We did see some fresh-looking slides: in particular one big cornice break (north facing slope), and the north face of Borah appeared to have had multiple slides.

Going up the gully, there seemed to be a crust, but with little effort I could kick through it. So I did. Boot top step holes. In places, my axe would easily go in all the way with little resistance (hollow? or just too shallow?)

We were able to walk across the 'plateau' on Petros with minimal post-holing. In some places the snow was actually supportive, in others we were going in to about boot top. Occasionally farther.

On the way down about 1:30, it was very warm. Our old steps only partially supported us. I think by then the corn would have been too soft for good skiing.

Skiing down into Christian Gulch would have been amazing- what a cool-looking cruise! I think the corn at 10k would have been perfect. As for steeper stuff, I'd refer to JimC and his recent ski of Leatherman.

June 22nd, 2011, 4:42 pm #4

We got kicked off of Petros in a whiteout in April, so it was nice to go back on a sunny day in June.
Trip report:

Still lots of snow!
Sweet TR! Looks like you guys had an awesome time! Do you think the days of snowshoeing are over for the summer?

June 22nd, 2011, 4:45 pm #5

Matt-
There is still a TON of snow around. Example: On the standard route on Borah, you will hit snow before you make it to tree line. If you are out in the snow after about 11am, I think snowshoes might be a good idea.

June 22nd, 2011, 4:53 pm #6

I figured as much. Seeing you guys without them in your TR gave me hope though. I guess I'll lug them to the Pioneers on Saturday.

June 22nd, 2011, 6:15 pm #7

Wes-
We weren't able to do a good evaluation of the snow, but things seemed fairly cohesive. However, it was an overnight low in Mackay of 50°, so everything was slurpy, even first thing in the morning.

We did see some fresh-looking slides: in particular one big cornice break (north facing slope), and the north face of Borah appeared to have had multiple slides.

Going up the gully, there seemed to be a crust, but with little effort I could kick through it. So I did. Boot top step holes. In places, my axe would easily go in all the way with little resistance (hollow? or just too shallow?)

We were able to walk across the 'plateau' on Petros with minimal post-holing. In some places the snow was actually supportive, in others we were going in to about boot top. Occasionally farther.

On the way down about 1:30, it was very warm. Our old steps only partially supported us. I think by then the corn would have been too soft for good skiing.

Skiing down into Christian Gulch would have been amazing- what a cool-looking cruise! I think the corn at 10k would have been perfect. As for steeper stuff, I'd refer to JimC and his recent ski of Leatherman.
Snow conditions in the LRR were excellent from 8 to 12 k before arrival of this warm weather. Stable, supportable, etc. Best I've seen over that range of elevations. Boot top powder at the summits quickly transitioning to superb corn that remained non-sticky and supportable all the way to the bottom. Even the isothermal mush in the trees was okay until past noon!

All bets are off now, though, with the rising temps and lack of overnight freezes.

Jim

wes
wes

June 22nd, 2011, 6:32 pm #8

sounds like its still stewing, not much need for crampons yet.

splattski
splattski

June 22nd, 2011, 8:50 pm #9

Correct. We did not really need crampons in those conditions.
And I would not have wanted to be on anything steeper in those conditions- too soft. Anything technical needs a re-freeze.
Too bad, too- I noticed your MouseTrap route appears to be full.

Dan
Dan

June 22nd, 2011, 11:53 pm #10

Trip report:

Still lots of snow!

http://idahosummits.com/trip_reports/tr ... trip_id=51

Confirmation of reply: