Mt. Idaho conditions

Mt. Idaho conditions

Steve Merrill
Steve Merrill

March 29th, 2010, 6:39 pm #1

Can anyone tell me what the snow conditions are looking like on Mt. Idaho? Wes, If you're around, could you post a picture of the SW side? We're shooting for this coming weekend to climb it if the conditions are better than they were 2 years ago on our last attempt.
Thanks,
Steve Merrill

Wes
Wes

March 29th, 2010, 9:50 pm #2

Steve,
I took a look at Idaho on Sunday afternoon but didn't take a photo. There is snow on all the face routes but I suspect conditions on the approach would be somewhat more settled than on your last attempt. If you find punchy crust down low, your best bet would be to traverse over the top of Mt. Morrison and grab a two-fer.

Steve Merrill
Steve Merrill

March 30th, 2010, 6:54 pm #3

Thanks Wes. I guess we'll see what all the moisture this week does now.
Steve

wes
wes

March 30th, 2010, 11:17 pm #4

hard to tell with all the clouds but It looks pretty white above 10K.

matt
matt

April 1st, 2010, 3:46 pm #5

There has been considerable avalanche activity over in the Sawtooths, Smokies and Pioneers this week. Has anyone noticed what's going on in the lost river range? It's just far enough from Sun Valley to make me think that conditions might be different.

April 1st, 2010, 4:08 pm #6

Based on what I found 2 weeks ago on Dickey Peak, I'd not go anywhere near the Lost Rivers after a recent sizeable snowfall. The snowpack then was the worst imaginable, with a foot or two of cohesionless facets capped by crusts of variable thickness. It was textbook sugar snow that would not be able to withstand even a modest load of new snow.

I have no idea how much new snow the range has received in the past week.

Jim

April 1st, 2010, 4:23 pm #7

I would second that. John and I were up on the E. side of Dickey a week ago and like Jim said the faceted layer beneath a variable crust seems to be on most aspects. Also given the wind loading, it would be highly unpredictible. Plus, it's hard to find slopes with less than 35 degrees on at least one part.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 1st, 2010, 8:45 pm #8

There has been considerable avalanche activity over in the Sawtooths, Smokies and Pioneers this week. Has anyone noticed what's going on in the lost river range? It's just far enough from Sun Valley to make me think that conditions might be different.
Don't mean to be a jerk, but with a new storm today putting down more snow and another big storm Friday/Saturday, anyone but experienced, avalanche savy persons should stay out of the mountains this weekend! You don't seem to fit the bill.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 1st, 2010, 11:05 pm #9

Dear Anonymous:

Why would I think you're a jerk when you insult me for asking a relevant question after researching avalanche danger in close ranges and assessing possible conditions for a trip into the mountains before actually going. I mean, if anything, I'm the jerk for even posting the query.

As for the advice given by Jim C and Luddite, it's much appreciated. Thanks guys - and you get points for diplomacy as well. This weekend probably isn't the one.

Steve
Steve

April 1st, 2010, 11:19 pm #10

I would second that. John and I were up on the E. side of Dickey a week ago and like Jim said the faceted layer beneath a variable crust seems to be on most aspects. Also given the wind loading, it would be highly unpredictible. Plus, it's hard to find slopes with less than 35 degrees on at least one part.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully conditions will be better in a few weeks and we'll try again.
Steve

Confirmation of reply: