Mount Andrus

Mount Andrus

Rick Baugher
Rick Baugher

August 26th, 2017, 10:10 pm #1

Since climbing it in 1990 I've always known Peak 12078 as 'Mount Andrus'.

Idaho 12'ers are named for: legislative branch (2), judicial branch (1), pioneers (2), and a mountain climber (1).
What is missing among our highest peaks is recognition of the executive branch.

Honoring Cecil Andrus (1931-2017) adds an elegant balance to the mix, and to use a favorite phrase of the 4 term governor just makes 'horse sense'.

Ray Brooks
Ray Brooks

August 27th, 2017, 12:14 am #2

Rick! I am usually shocked & saddened at naming mountains for dead politicians, but Andrus deserves that recognition for all the great things he did for Idaho’s environment, as well as his deserved legacy as Idaho’s greatest governor, not to mention the wonderful job he did as Jimmy Carter’s Secretary of the Interior.

How can we make it happen?

September 1st, 2017, 4:10 pm #3

Idaho 12'ers are named for: legislative branch (2), judicial branch (1), pioneers (2), and a mountain climber (1).

Honoring Cecil Andrus (1931-2017) adds an elegant balance to the mix, and to use a favorite phrase of the 4 term governor just makes 'horse sense'.
I would support this, make up some kind of a petition?

Andrus was my guy. I was so very proud of what he tried to do, what he achieved and how he did it. A darn fine man.
Last edited by Rokjoxx on September 1st, 2017, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Lopez
Tom Lopez

September 2nd, 2017, 12:41 pm #4

So, I think naming a White Cloud Peak after him is the way to go. One of the many criteria under the Federal naming statute is that the person have some association with the feature to be named.

Now, which Peak?

Ray Brooks
Ray Brooks

September 2nd, 2017, 8:06 pm #5

Tom: It appears from your book that there are two 11,000' plus peaks in the White Cloud Range that have no formal names.

Peak 11202 looks like a worthy summit.

From your book: "This rugged summit sits 1.75 miles due east of Peak 11272 on the ridgeline that runs east from that peak. This cliffy mountain is impressive from every direction ----. The only reported route began at Shelf Lake in the Boulder Chain of Lakes drainage." Clas 4.

Peak 11202 is a little above the center of this photo.

September 2nd, 2017, 9:33 pm #6

Photo of dramatic 11,202 courtesy of SuperDave

Tom Lopez
Tom Lopez

September 2nd, 2017, 9:38 pm #7

Tom: It appears from your book that there are two 11,000' plus peaks in the White Cloud Range that have no formal names.

Peak 11202 looks like a worthy summit.

From your book: "This rugged summit sits 1.75 miles due east of Peak 11272 on the ridgeline that runs east from that peak. This cliffy mountain is impressive from every direction ----. The only reported route began at Shelf Lake in the Boulder Chain of Lakes drainage." Clas 4.

Peak 11202 is a little above the center of this photo.
. . . the peak unofficially called Lonesome Peak or Lonesome Lake Peak because it is a major peak on the main crest. Both it and 11202 are impressive summits at the heart of the range.

https://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/boo ... lake-peak/

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 2nd, 2017, 10:43 pm #8

Since Lonesome already has said accepted name I vote choose one of the other peaks, not that my vote is worth much but I have climbed it for what it's worth

September 2nd, 2017, 11:48 pm #9

. . . the peak unofficially called Lonesome Peak or Lonesome Lake Peak because it is a major peak on the main crest. Both it and 11202 are impressive summits at the heart of the range.

https://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/boo ... lake-peak/
As I recall, there is a great view of Castle from the top of Lonesome. Given Cece's impact on that peak, seems appropriate.

September 4th, 2017, 4:05 pm #10

Photo of dramatic 11,202 courtesy of SuperDave

Do people go there to get their one in a lifetime shot?

This is the one rare pile of rocks that looks as good in the photo as in person -or better.

Confirmation of reply: