Lost River Range Winter Season Conditions

Lost River Range Winter Season Conditions

November 24th, 2015, 5:41 pm #1

Restarting this thread without the Year designation, It was here last year:http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717/t ... Conditions

By taking the year designation out, it can just be "bumped" up at the start of each winter season as a reminder.

This thread is intended to be a "sticky" for people using this forum who are climbing, skiing or otherwise venturing into the LRR during the Winter months, (Nov-May). Because there is no formal avalanche forecasting that applies to this area, it is incumbent on individuals to determine if/when they travel in the LRR.

The OBJECTIVE of this thread is to provide beta on conditions and observations that will aid in planning and assist in managing risk for those who are in the Lost River Range during the winter months.

When replying to this thread with information, please consider including some/all of the following:
Type of Activity
Date and Location/route
Weather comments
Temperatures, (estimated highs/lows)
Snow depths
Snow pack observations
Recent avalanche observations
Other useful information
Photos to document any of the above items

I have a page on my website that will link directly to this threadhttp://hi-adventure.com/lost-river-range-dashboard/. It also contains web cam views, weather forecast, current weather (radar / satellite), SnoTel sites, GPS routes, videos and other important links.

Winter is here!!! Have fun, be safe. happy.gif

[BTW, this thread is NOT meant to replace all the cool TRs that get posted in this forum. It is only intended to collect some key data on snow/weather that will help us all stay safe - even if that means "staying home"].

November 25th, 2015, 1:16 am #2

I want to get over there this winter, even if it means driving from McCall. Us non-local folks could really use a message like "now is the time. Get on it!"

January 9th, 2016, 3:04 pm #3

Restarting this thread without the Year designation, It was here last year:http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717/t ... Conditions

By taking the year designation out, it can just be "bumped" up at the start of each winter season as a reminder.

This thread is intended to be a "sticky" for people using this forum who are climbing, skiing or otherwise venturing into the LRR during the Winter months, (Nov-May). Because there is no formal avalanche forecasting that applies to this area, it is incumbent on individuals to determine if/when they travel in the LRR.

The OBJECTIVE of this thread is to provide beta on conditions and observations that will aid in planning and assist in managing risk for those who are in the Lost River Range during the winter months.

When replying to this thread with information, please consider including some/all of the following:
Type of Activity
Date and Location/route
Weather comments
Snow depths
Snow pack observations
Other useful information

I have a page on my website that will link directly to this threadhttp://hi-adventure.com/lost-river-range-dashboard/. It also contains web cam views, weather forecast, current weather (radar / satellite), SnoTel sites, GPS routes, videos and other important links.

[BTW, this thread is NOT meant to replace all the cool TRs that get posted in this forum. It is only intended to collect some key data on snow/weather that will help us all stay safe - even if that means "staying home"].
Not sure what the snowpack characteristics are in the LRR right now, but from the webcams it definitely looks like the snow levels are much better than last year.
Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge???

Here are the webcam shots from 1-9-2016:

April 26th, 2016, 2:05 pm #4

Type of Activity
Date and Location/route
Weather comments
Snow depths
Snow pack observations
Other useful information

It's supposed to turn hot next week. A long drive from McCall. Worth going?

April 26th, 2016, 4:06 pm #5

Here is the most recent TR. Based on this and what I've been seeing as I'm studying the Webcams each day I would say that it should be pretty good this weekend. Based on the weather report, Sunday may be better than Saturday. 2-3 of us are shooting for Mt Moran in the Tetons on Sat/Sun, and the LRR is our backup plan. So I've been keeping a close eye on both.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717/t ... iew+Thread

May 23rd, 2016, 4:05 pm #6

Type of Activity
Date and Location/route
Weather comments
Snow depths
Snow pack observations
Other useful information

Hey, did anyone get out in the LRR this weekend? I'm mainly interested in any reports on snow levels. It looks like from the webcams that they are still holding strong from ~8500 and up. Also, if anyone gets out there over Memorial Day weekend, I'd be very interested in snow level beta.

I am trying to hit one of the north faces on Jun 3-4; Church or Idaho would be tops on that list, maybe Donaldson too. The Tomahawk is also on my list, (Wes are you still up for that one)?

I know that is the same weekend as the big spring outing, but if the conditions hold out for a ski descent, I'm looking for a couple of partners.

Pete
Pete

May 23rd, 2016, 4:28 pm #7

We were there but with the crappy weather just drove the Copper Basin loop road and had lunch at the Broad Canyon campground before the whole area fills up with campers for the summer. It was low 40s in Copper Basin with snow in spots where it had drifted. It was snowing on us and the mountains got enough to turn white. I don't think there's much accumulating but on the north faces above 9000 feet you could definitely still get some skiing in. I would guess the snow line was around 8000 feet, but not enough accumulating to ski.

We will be in Mackay for Memorial Day too. We won't be hiking, but I'm sure we'll go for a drive. If we make it to the Pahsimeroi Valley I'll take some pictures for you.

May 23rd, 2016, 5:06 pm #8

Hey, did anyone get out in the LRR this weekend? I'm mainly interested in any reports on snow levels. It looks like from the webcams that they are still holding strong from ~8500 and up. Also, if anyone gets out there over Memorial Day weekend, I'd be very interested in snow level beta.

I am trying to hit one of the north faces on Jun 3-4; Church or Idaho would be tops on that list, maybe Donaldson too. The Tomahawk is also on my list, (Wes are you still up for that one)?

I know that is the same weekend as the big spring outing, but if the conditions hold out for a ski descent, I'm looking for a couple of partners.
Cody-

Didn't get out this weekend. This was last week.

May 23rd, 2016, 6:03 pm #9

I climbed Summit Creek peak on Sunday. Full winter conditions up high. Really wishing I had taken my skiis for the 1500ft of heavy powder on the descent gully.
In a classic bonehead move I couldn't decide between skiis and snowshoes so I left both in the truck and took my ice axe.
Doh!
5 hours of post holing makes for a pretty good workout. Meant to climb Phi Kappa as well but didn't make it that far.

Marty Cooke
Marty Cooke

May 23rd, 2016, 6:15 pm #10

We climbed and skied the North Face of Devil's Bedstead on Sunday, May 22nd. Good coverage on it. The Lost Rivers received a lot of snow last week but my buddy that lives in Mackay thinks a lot of the slopes have deceptively good snow coverage. He indicated that a lot of the peaks were getting very thin and now they have a dusting on top of the thin layer. Lost River and Breitenbach look skiable with good coverage. Sunday felt like winter.

Confirmation of reply: