leatherman north face

leatherman north face

Mark
Mark

June 13th, 2012, 2:01 pm #1

Does anybody know if the north face of Leatherman is still holding enough snow for good skiing? If so, I might try it one of the next few days. Anyone interested?

June 13th, 2012, 5:08 pm #2

Interested I am, but not available until weekend of the 23rd. I'd be interested in your conditions report if you go back there . . .

June 13th, 2012, 5:30 pm #3

When we descended it 6 weeks ago, it was deep with snow, i would say there should be plenty.

Ski on!

June 13th, 2012, 10:49 pm #4

Does anybody know if the north face of Leatherman is still holding enough snow for good skiing? If so, I might try it one of the next few days. Anyone interested?
I'm interested and am available all day Saturday with some flexibility on either end. Click on my username and send me an email.

Mark
Mark

June 18th, 2012, 5:57 am #5

Skied the north face on Thursday, June 14. Not enough time for photos but I'll try to get them up for this and a couple Lemhi summits near my work bunkhouse in a bit. Lots of snow on the upper face. Top 600 feet was stable but a bit punchy and unpredictable as in mostly but not quite fully cured corn. Middle section required a couple walks to link lingering snowfields. Lower steep part had one narrow snowfield that was quite fun but it isn't going to last much longer. The lower 2/3 of the upper face was very very nice corn but not the absolute perfection found on Smiley. WF Pahsimeroi trail is very very cool and the meadow at the base of the snow was an epic spot. Rather major effort biking 7 miles, hiking 3 more and then climbing the 3000 feet of mountain with skis. Evidence of a recent summit attempt with glissade tracks lower down. Spent 2 hours on top waiting for soft enough snow.

Sheep mountain in the Lemhis was also good. Pretty good road access to very easy walk up to the top. East bowl holds snow really well and is a long straight fall line run. But it was too warm and the 4-6 inches of new snow was glop atop firm summer snow older snow so it was hard work turns with small turn caused slush sloughs on the steeper parts of what proved to be a mellower run than I was expecting. I had it better than my glissading buddies who couldn't really even develop momentum.

Geo
Geo

June 19th, 2012, 2:02 am #6

Picture taken yesterday morning from 11967'

-George

Confirmation of reply: