Idaho 12er's

Idaho 12er's

January 19th, 2010, 4:57 pm #1

We plan on summiting the 7 peaks in the LOST River range this summer. Is there a possibility of doubling or even tripling up multiple peaks in one climb. Listed below is our tenative plan of attack...are we on the right track or are there better recommendations. (Our goal is 3-4 days)

Day One: Leatherman, Church, Donaldson, and Breitenbach.
Day Two: Lost River
Day Three: Borah, and Idaho

Thanks for the info and suggestions!
climb on!

Dan
Dan

January 19th, 2010, 8:12 pm #2

How good of shape are you in? Are you comfortable with route finding, steep scree and talus, and class 4 terrain?

How you answer those questions will allow me to comment on your schedule. Normally the only peaks of the Lost River 12ers that are combined in one day are Church and Donaldson.

January 19th, 2010, 8:58 pm #3

Dan's right. Even doing one 12er is a big deal but combining them take a lot of endurance and route finding. The terrain up there is pretty nasty and you will run into class 4 stuff between many of the peaks.

zdv
zdv

January 19th, 2010, 8:58 pm #4

We plan on summiting the 7 peaks in the LOST River range this summer. Is there a possibility of doubling or even tripling up multiple peaks in one climb. Listed below is our tenative plan of attack...are we on the right track or are there better recommendations. (Our goal is 3-4 days)

climb on!
This older thread (and the ones linked) certainly all apply..

http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717/m ... e+Traverse

Mike F.
Mike F.

January 19th, 2010, 11:29 pm #5

If you are in great shape you can do all 7 in three days. I would reccomend Church And Donaldson an a single day event though, When I compleated those two it took me around 12-13 hours round trip! if you factor in Anything else in that day just plan on not sleeping. also Lost River Peak and Breitenbach can be linked but the exposure and not to mention the amount of loose rock you may encounter could make for some interesting travel. I also could not imagine doing Borah and Mt. Idaho in one day, though it is possible it would be one hell of a long day and another one where you may just plan on not sleeping for an extended amount of time. hope this helps,

Mike

dave bingham
dave bingham

January 20th, 2010, 2:27 am #6

climb on!
I don't think linking several peaks in a day is a big deal if you are well conditioned for that sort of thing. We have done Brietenback, No Regret, Donaldson and church in an 8 hr day. Once you knock off the 1st big vert, you can keep much of the elevation and just keep trudging on. What looks impossible becomes a done deal if you keep putting one foot in front of the other.

We've also linked Borah to White Cap via Sacajawea, Idaho, etc, etc,(down sawmill gulch). staying mostly on the ridge in around 10 hrs. Again, most of the vert is in the first climb.

That said, the conditioning part is the big deal.Most folks get hammered legs on the descents so I'd recommend doing several long days with big vert prior to Lost River link-ups.

Rob Landis and I linked from Borah to Lost River in 18 hrs and we were so conditioned that we were not even sore the next day!'Have at it!

January 20th, 2010, 4:54 pm #7

Dave-
First, thanks for posting and sharing on the board.
Then I have to comment on yours and Rob's accomplishment. You make traversing from Borah to Lost River sound easy, but a quick try with Topo shows more than 20 miles and 15,000' of elevation.
Yikes! I think that would require more than just incredible conditioning, but unusual genetics!

FabFive and1
FabFive and1

January 20th, 2010, 8:07 pm #8

climb on!
Thanks everyone for the comments of our goal! As far as being in "good" shape, our group covers this area well. Parts of our group have climbed the Grand (some mutliple times) and even last year we did a "parking lot to parking lot" climb of the Grand in just over 15 hrs. We will look further at the topo maps/GPS, and plan out our attack. If you have additional comments, please kick them our way, and we will be sure to post pics..

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 21st, 2010, 3:11 am #9

Does anyone have plans for the Lost river mts this winter.

dave bingham
dave bingham

January 22nd, 2010, 6:36 pm #10

Thanks everyone for the comments of our goal! As far as being in "good" shape, our group covers this area well. Parts of our group have climbed the Grand (some mutliple times) and even last year we did a "parking lot to parking lot" climb of the Grand in just over 15 hrs. We will look further at the topo maps/GPS, and plan out our attack. If you have additional comments, please kick them our way, and we will be sure to post pics..
OK, maybe a lost river traverse is not so easy. It just might help to carry that thought and fool yourself into doing more than you think you can do. That said,a 15 hr round trip on the Grand is pretty fast for the general population,but no so much if you want to link several LR peak in a day.(the record is just over 3 hrs RT) The level of conditioning required may be higher than you're thinking. I guess I assume anyone thinking of such things is a very experienced mt knuckelhead with lots of distance racing experience. But whatever, It will be fun trying! Best of luck!

Confirmation of reply: