Hello!

Hello!

December 13th, 2010, 1:10 am #1

Well my names Hunter, I'm new to the forums here but not new to Idaho by any means. I've lived her for almost 14 years now and have yet to actually climb a mountain in this state. I'm sure that almost seems like blaspheming but I'm no stranger to the outdoors. I try my hand at snowboarding and I fly fish. Plus camping is always great. I'm a freshman in college and I'm almost 19. About two months ago I decided college was the perfect opportunity to make the changes in my life to become who I wanted to be as a person. I sat down and evaluated my morals and made sure I followed them. Then last week I finally sat down and wrote my bucket list so I would know what exactly I wanted to do in life and I realized I have never climbed a mountain, to the summit at least. So I started my search and ended up here and figured I would just dive right in to the community and see what happens.

Anyway I do have a question. Being a beginner, essentially, where is a good place to go on a climb near Boise over the Christmas break?

December 13th, 2010, 1:33 am #2

I may not be the expert on the mountains around Boise but this time of year there is snow so i guess the question is do you have any snow gear such as snow shoes?
Here is a web site from one of the Boise hikers Splattski,http://www.splattski.com/overview/boise_area.html it has lots of hikes near Boise.
If you have questions on how to get to the trail heads, routes or need some one to join you just ask and there are a lot of people on here that will be able to help you out.

Jacob R.

December 13th, 2010, 2:08 am #3

I actually do not have a pair of snowshoes so I guess I'm limited to lower elevation stuff but thats fine with me Just getting out and doing something is nice.

December 13th, 2010, 3:07 am #4

I think you can rent them cheap from Rei and give them a try.

December 13th, 2010, 3:19 am #5

If you're a BSU student they're only like $4 a day.

Hunter
Hunter

December 13th, 2010, 4:22 am #6

Well I'm a University of Idaho student so I'm up at Moscow but do you think they'd still do the student discount?

Sean h
Sean h

December 13th, 2010, 6:33 am #7

Well my names Hunter, I'm new to the forums here but not new to Idaho by any means. I've lived her for almost 14 years now and have yet to actually climb a mountain in this state. I'm sure that almost seems like blaspheming but I'm no stranger to the outdoors. I try my hand at snowboarding and I fly fish. Plus camping is always great. I'm a freshman in college and I'm almost 19. About two months ago I decided college was the perfect opportunity to make the changes in my life to become who I wanted to be as a person. I sat down and evaluated my morals and made sure I followed them. Then last week I finally sat down and wrote my bucket list so I would know what exactly I wanted to do in life and I realized I have never climbed a mountain, to the summit at least. So I started my search and ended up here and figured I would just dive right in to the community and see what happens.

Anyway I do have a question. Being a beginner, essentially, where is a good place to go on a climb near Boise over the Christmas break?
Start with something small in the immediate foothills around Boise like Lucky Peak, Kepros, or Cervidae. As tempting as it will be to pursue higher and more remote peaks once you feel the rush of summitting, I would strongly urge you to wait until spring or, more ideally, summer.

Good luck and welcome to climbing!

Smoove910
Smoove910

December 13th, 2010, 2:14 pm #8

I think you can rent them cheap from Rei and give them a try.
I wouldn't recommend REI for rentals. They charged my GF $16.95 for one day, which I think is a rip. There are Nordic trails around Bogus that you can give snowshoeing a try. Plus they have rentals at the lodge for $10 a day. If you decide to go snowshoeing elsewhere, I would give Benchmark a try since they'll obviously be cheaper than REI as well.

Good luck!

December 13th, 2010, 4:16 pm #9

Well I'm a University of Idaho student so I'm up at Moscow but do you think they'd still do the student discount?
Yes, they will rent to you as a member of the community. Here are their rates. It's still a good deal. You could ask if they will honor your student status (even though you are at UofI), won't hurt to ask.

http://rec.boisestate.edu/outdoor/renta ... ackcountry

Follow the advice above about waiting until Spring, or better yet, to tackle bigger peaks, especially if you are going by yourself. My advice is to sign up for some trips through U of I's outdoor center when you head back to school and that will expose you to some more adventurous places and activities, sometimes. School sponsored trips tend to be small, full of expert advice and it is a great way to go places and do things on a budget (you are a student, right?).

Good luck, be safe, and have fun. As someone who always takes off alone, try not to go alone. Seriously, especially in the winter.

Confirmation of reply: