Google Strikes Again

Google Strikes Again

January 11th, 2011, 5:32 pm #1

Google has started selling electronic versions of my book for $15.12. I have not yet receive my copy so I am not sure about the quality of product or whether it is key word searchable but the Mountaineers Books seems to think its a very usable version. If it will load in an smart phone or an Ipad it could be the rebirth of the guidebook. Hopefully, this development will eventually lead to a third edition including all the routes you folks have pioneered in the last 10 years.

The link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=1SVobr ... &q&f=false

January 11th, 2011, 5:47 pm #2

I for one would love to see a third edition of your book!

Dan
Dan

January 11th, 2011, 6:21 pm #3

Google has started selling electronic versions of my book for $15.12. I have not yet receive my copy so I am not sure about the quality of product or whether it is key word searchable but the Mountaineers Books seems to think its a very usable version. If it will load in an smart phone or an Ipad it could be the rebirth of the guidebook. Hopefully, this development will eventually lead to a third edition including all the routes you folks have pioneered in the last 10 years.

The link:

Imagine carrying your small and lightweight iPad on your hike. You start questioning the route you are on, so you pull out the iPad, where you can reference Tom's electronic version of his book. You read where Tom says to avoid the class 5 rock by traversing climber's right of 2nd tower on the east ridge. You aren't sure if this is the 2nd or 3rd tower on the ridge, so you pull up photos that you saved to your iPad prior to the trip showing the east ridge, dang... still can't tell for sure. Now you launch your GPS application that overlays your position on a topo map, viola, you see that you are on route.

All would be available without a cell signal. I know that makes you purists cringe, but that would be some cool stuff right there!

January 11th, 2011, 6:58 pm #4

....cringing!

Tom Lopez
Tom Lopez

January 11th, 2011, 8:16 pm #5

The link:

I have learned that the electronic text is searchable and that Google Books will work on IPads and IPhones and I suspect Android phones as well as any computer. So, you can take it with you.

Also, it appears that the electronic text can be updated and supplemented. I am still awaiting details about that process. Stay tuned.

January 11th, 2011, 9:08 pm #6

Imagine carrying your small and lightweight iPad on your hike. You start questioning the route you are on, so you pull out the iPad, where you can reference Tom's electronic version of his book. You read where Tom says to avoid the class 5 rock by traversing climber's right of 2nd tower on the east ridge. You aren't sure if this is the 2nd or 3rd tower on the ridge, so you pull up photos that you saved to your iPad prior to the trip showing the east ridge, dang... still can't tell for sure. Now you launch your GPS application that overlays your position on a topo map, viola, you see that you are on route.

All would be available without a cell signal. I know that makes you purists cringe, but that would be some cool stuff right there!
Now imagine tripping on something, falling, and smashing the screen of that very expensive ipad as you land on it. That would be my worst nightmare and it would almost make not even want to bring it. I know someone who has this happen to them.

Other than that I agree that that would be a really awesome resource to have in your pocket. I would just be afraid of breaking it somehow.

Dan
Dan

January 11th, 2011, 9:37 pm #7

They make pretty nice cases for them, but you bring up a valid concern... not to mention dust and all that stuff.

January 11th, 2011, 10:00 pm #8

based on a climbing buddy:

One way to find your way home is to take lots of pictures with your digital camera. Then, to return home, you can look at the pictures in reverse order.

Dave
Dave

January 12th, 2011, 3:48 am #9

Now imagine tripping on something, falling, and smashing the screen of that very expensive ipad as you land on it. That would be my worst nightmare and it would almost make not even want to bring it. I know someone who has this happen to them.

Other than that I agree that that would be a really awesome resource to have in your pocket. I would just be afraid of breaking it somehow.
The techie in me thinks that sound very cool. But its scary too.

Too much technology makes a person more and more reliant upon that technology, and less reliant upon their own navigation skills. Once that happens, a person is hosed if they drop and break the gadget, then have no skills to fall back on to get them out of trouble.

dave bingham
dave bingham

January 14th, 2011, 12:55 am #10

I have learned that the electronic text is searchable and that Google Books will work on IPads and IPhones and I suspect Android phones as well as any computer. So, you can take it with you.

Also, it appears that the electronic text can be updated and supplemented. I am still awaiting details about that process. Stay tuned.
Hi Tom, Your book is a great service to the mountain lovers of Idaho!
Thank you.
Now that your book is online, how do you get paid for your work -
or does your intellectual property now become part of the public domain?

Confirmation of reply: