Favorite mtn. climbing books ??

Favorite mtn. climbing books ??

February 14th, 2011, 9:01 pm #1

I have several climbing books that have maps, trip reports, routes, etc......but have never read any books that are "stories"....like "Into Thin Air"

I am just wondering if you guys have some favorite story-like books and/or favorite authors...???

February 14th, 2011, 10:05 pm #2

Annapurna by Maurice Herzog
The White Spider by Heinrich Harrer
Escape from Leucania by Bradford Washburn

Anything on the Boardman/Tasker list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boardman_T ... Literature

February 14th, 2011, 10:54 pm #3

I have several climbing books that have maps, trip reports, routes, etc......but have never read any books that are "stories"....like "Into Thin Air"

I am just wondering if you guys have some favorite story-like books and/or favorite authors...???
Beyond the Mountain, Steve House
Kiss or Kill -- Confessions of a Serial Climber, Mark Twight
Above the Clouds: The Diaries of a High-Altitude Mountaineer, Anatoli Boukreev
The High Lonesome: Epic Solo Climbing Stories, John Long
Free Spirit: A Climber's Life, Reinhold Messner

Dan
Dan

February 14th, 2011, 11:13 pm #4

Eiger Dreams by Jon Krakauer is an incredible book. In particular, the chapters on Devils Thumb in Alaska are amazing.

pat
pat

February 15th, 2011, 3:55 am #5

The Last Blue Mountain by Ralph Barker

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Blue-Mountai ... 1904466303

crappyclimber
crappyclimber

February 15th, 2011, 6:16 am #6

You need to check out "The Ascent of Rum Doodle"--British humor in a climbing book at it's finest.
On a more serious note, these are all more historic books, but have great stories also: The Grand Controversy; Climbs and Explorations in the Canadian Rockies and The Canadian Mountaineering Anthology.
Probably the best fiction mountain climbing book I have ever read is more of a kids book, but excellent reading: Banner in the Sky.

February 15th, 2011, 8:43 am #7

Banner in the Sky is really a pretty good book. I remember reading it when I was in about 7th of 8th grade and really enjoying it. Recently I reread it and enjoyed it just as much.

Other good outdoor books, not necessarily just about climbing are, The Lochsa Story by Bud Moore, and Windsinger, by Gary Smith.

February 15th, 2011, 10:17 pm #8

This is the only reading I can tolerate because it is about a topic I hold near and dear.
If you have already read the top 3 John Krakauer books Ie. "into thin air", "into the Wild' and "Eiger Dreams" then maybe you will enjoy "Climbers Choice" by Pat Ament. Pat Ament lived (Maybe still does) in Idaho Falls for a time, close to the airport. Climbers Choice is a collection of top stories from the golden years of climbing.
"Enduring Patiigonia" was one of my top favorites because I was getting into big wall climbing at the time.
Reignhold Messner is my hero and my favorite book of his is, "Crystal Horizon" where he solo's Everest during the monsoon season.

Have you ever read Biographies?
Tops are the biography of John Gill, (inventor of modern day bouldering).
Also the bio of Royal Robbins (one of the first Big Wallers.) All those stories are just legendary.

Unless your into winter climbing, there ain't much else to do in Idaho but wait for the snow to melt.
Kevin in Kanab

Smoove910
Smoove910

February 16th, 2011, 2:12 pm #9

I just finished 'No Shortcuts To the Top' by Ed Viesturs. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076792 ... MY0WG44XTG

February 16th, 2011, 7:38 pm #10

HW Tillman: The Seven Mountain Travel Books
ISBN 9780898869606

Eric Shipton : The 6 Mountain-Travel Books
ISBN 9780898865394

Conquistadors of the Useless Lionel Terry
ISBN 9781594851117

Starlight and Storm Gaston Rubuffat
ISBN 9780375755064

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. -Robert A. Heinlein

Confirmation of reply: