Experienced Climber Killed on Mt. Hood

Experienced Climber Killed on Mt. Hood

Russ
Russ

June 15th, 2012, 2:58 pm #1

June 15th, 2012, 3:51 pm #2

Heard about that yesterday. It's just crazy how many accidents there actually are on Mt. Hood. I use to live in Gov't Camp, so you'd here about everything that happens. Experienced or not, its just plain accident prone! When the Hogs back lined up with the pearly gates you could walk to the top in snowboard / ski boots with little difficulty. There were always people twisting knees, etc.

Mike F.
Mike F.

June 16th, 2012, 2:57 am #3

The stardard route now goes up the old chute route intead of the pearly gates. the pearly gates was more of a lower angle wi2-3 climb when I was up there in may. the old chute in may angled upwards of 55-60* and was a bit spicy. my condolences to his family.

June 16th, 2012, 9:23 am #4

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... h-20120614
http://www.wset.com/story/18804063/stun ... t-survives
http://www.keepmecurrent.com/sun_chroni ... f887a.html

I find it interesting that when an experienced pilot dies in a plane accident, people react. When an experienced taxi driver dies, people react, BUT when an experienced climber dies, people react differently.

Why?
Kevin

Bob
Bob

June 16th, 2012, 3:15 pm #5

I think most of it is journalistic sensationalism; it's an attention getter no matter how you look at it. However, it does stem from a very real fear that almost all humans display. If we weren't wired to be afraid of falling we probably wouldn't be around. Most animals display the behavior as well and at a very young age.

But I get your point. Some 30,000 people get killed in vehicles every year and we seem to brush it off as if it weren't all that significant. Most of them barely get any press coverage unless it's a massive pile-up or involves a bunch of fatalities. The exception would be aircraft crashes. They too usually involve a "big fall" and are often front page news even though they rarely occur compared to car crashes.

As for the recent Mt Hood "fall" my heart goes out to the family, relatives and friends. It's especially poignant when it occurs in the exact same place that many of us have traveled. As I said last year, "be bold but be safe".

Bob

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 16th, 2012, 9:38 pm #6

June 16th, 2012, 10:10 pm #7

I do think the way the stories are covered and received are quite publicized. Was it 2007 that 3 went missing on the Cooper Spur and it was on CNN with live coverage for a few days. Then again in 2009, I believe it was that 3 went missing on the Reid head wall and it was all over the news for a few more days. Lets not forget the 2002 incident! The 1996 Everest disaster was front page news for a while! All of these cases involved experienced climbers. All were 'big' news stories too. As I'm sure we all know, climbing mountains is regarded as a dangerous hobby. Combine that with tragedy and apparently it makes for a good news story. My condolences to all who have had to deal with the loss of those involved. I can only wonder how they might feel about that type of exposure.

crappyclimber
crappyclimber

June 18th, 2012, 4:08 am #8

I was at Mt Hood skiing yesterday and tried to talk to the ranger about this accident. He was not willing to say anything other than people shouldn't be climbing solo on such a "dangerous" mountain. Not wanting to spark endless debate and arguments, I politely thanked him and found a couple of climbers who had just descended who looked like they knew what they were doing.
They said the conditions were about as perfect as you could get for the Hogsback /Pearly gates route.
They said they knew the climber who died and he was trying to climb to the "Old Chute" to climbers left, which is a steeper, but more aesthetic route and less climbed. (I have climbed this route, and agree totally).
They didn't know for sure, but thought that his steps had collapsed from under him by the slide path, as that was why they were climbing, so they could see where the accident happened.
We saw a group of 3 headed up that route Sat afternoon, but they quit before summiting. There was a wet sluff avalanche on that route this morning (Sun) that wasn't there on Saturday afternoon too. Who knows, it could have been really soft up there on the face.
It was certainly soft for skiing, but who can complain about tons of corn snow and riding the lifts instead of skiing in June.

Confirmation of reply: