Cutthroats & Couloirs - fall edition

Cutthroats & Couloirs - fall edition

October 24th, 2011, 5:21 am #1

C & C is normally considered an early summer activity. But in a season like this one with ample summer snow remaining, the lakes still far from freezing over due to the warmest September on record (in Boise), and touch of new snow to smooth out the old stuff, C & C is back in fine form.

Fall colors down low:

Give way to winter colors up high:

A splendid day in the mountains:

We hunted out the summer snow patches to avoid the shark's teeth. But the new snow is now 3 weeks old and is skiing fine in it's own right. Snow conditions varied from chunky plates that skittered down the slope:

To windsifted powder:

To smooth proto-corn on sunny aspects:

The WC's felt close:

But a C & C day would not be complete without some casting into a beautiful high-mountain lake:

A decent catch:

Jim

splattski
splattski

October 24th, 2011, 1:05 pm #2

First turns! Thanks for the great photos.

October 24th, 2011, 8:26 pm #3

C & C is normally considered an early summer activity. But in a season like this one with ample summer snow remaining, the lakes still far from freezing over due to the warmest September on record (in Boise), and touch of new snow to smooth out the old stuff, C & C is back in fine form.

Fall colors down low:

We hunted out the summer snow patches to avoid the shark's teeth. But the new snow is now 3 weeks old and is skiing fine in it's own right. Snow conditions varied from chunky plates that skittered down the slope:

To windsifted powder:

The WC's felt close:

But a C & C day would not be complete without some casting into a beautiful high-mountain lake:

A decent catch:

Jim
Those guys think they have all the skiing in October. Way to get at it! While the rest of us (me anyway) spent the weekend putting in firewood and canning peaches. Fun, but not quite that much fun. How do you like the new boots?

October 24th, 2011, 8:43 pm #4

Sure, feel free to re-post.

Here are some other C & C TR's from this summer if anyone missed them:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717/m ... +loop+tour
http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717/m ... irs+-+2011

I wonder how unique the Sawtooths are with regards to fishing in high mountain lakes while skiing? I imagine there are similar opportunities in the Sierra, Cascades, Wind Rivers, and Tetons. I'd like to see similar TR's from elsewhere.

Jim

October 24th, 2011, 8:47 pm #5

Those guys think they have all the skiing in October. Way to get at it! While the rest of us (me anyway) spent the weekend putting in firewood and canning peaches. Fun, but not quite that much fun. How do you like the new boots?
That's my friend on the fancy light boots (the "slippers" I call them). He like the boots for tours like this.

I'm on 2nd hand, 2005 vintage Matrix boots. I only go AT for summer touring when trying to go light or on firm snow. Otherwise, I'm on telemark gear.

Jim

October 24th, 2011, 10:02 pm #6

Sure, feel free to re-post.

Here are some other C & C TR's from this summer if anyone missed them:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717/m ... +loop+tour
http://www.network54.com/Forum/105717/m ... irs+-+2011

I wonder how unique the Sawtooths are with regards to fishing in high mountain lakes while skiing? I imagine there are similar opportunities in the Sierra, Cascades, Wind Rivers, and Tetons. I'd like to see similar TR's from elsewhere.

Jim
Bitterroots, Selkirks, Purcells, and the other interior ranges of BC and N Idaho come to mind. But that might be those are all my old stomping grounds. Keep me in mind for s springtime road trip to discover more.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." ~Alvin Toffler

October 31st, 2011, 5:08 am #7

Fall colors down low:

To windsifted powder:

The WC's felt close:

A decent catch:

Jim
Today was stellar day for skiing and fishing:

Solo trip. Saw nobody on trail, off-trail, or even at the trailhead. Super fun skiing. Firm and fast! Tracks hardly left a mark on the concrete-like snow:

Spicy lines were available for those so-inclined:

I skied that back in late July, and it looks pretty similar now.

Snow firmed up considerably since last Sunday with the cold temps during the week. Even the steep, north-facing snow was rock hard. Slopes on sunny aspects were softening up nicely by mid-afternoon, but my tour had little of that, unfortunately. The early October snow is now nearly indistinguishable from the summer snow, having been through many freeze-thaws in the warm month. No signs of the early October snow going to facets. It fell with lots of moisture content, and then got warm through the month. I doubt it will facet away before we get the real snow.

I was worried that the lakes would have iced-up during this past week. But that was not the case. Too much warmth in the water from the abnormally warm past 2 months:

Last casts of the year, I assume:

Another nice catch:

Freezer is full. Should be good eatin' through the winter!

Jim

splattski
splattski

November 1st, 2011, 2:44 am #8

Keep em' coming Jim.
I'm stuck in Wisconsin and these photos are good for my soul.

Confirmation of reply: