CalTopo.com

CalTopo.com

January 28th, 2018, 4:43 am #1

Many of you probably already know about this site, but I recently stumbled upon a cool mapping website called CalTopo.com. It gives you free access to all the USGS 7.5' maps, FSTopo maps, Google layers, aerial imagery options, fire history, realtime data such as Snotel and even shows the NF visitor maps for some areas. It has a lot of really cool layers you can put on your custom map, but my favorite feature is slope angle shading which can be especially useful when trying to pick out safe routes in avalanche terrain.

It also gives you some cool information when you draw a route. You get a summary of things such as slope angle, aspect, tree cover and land cover (forest, shrub). It is a pretty neat site that can be very useful if you don't already know about it.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 29th, 2018, 5:40 am #2

Agreed, I've been using the slope angle shading and privacy land layers for years for the exact reason you list: avy danger. Also really like the "view from here" feature to identify all the peaks I'm looking at.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 29th, 2018, 5:43 am #3

Also amazed the owner doesn't require a membership fee, when he first published the site it was amazing how far ahead of the curve he was/is

January 30th, 2018, 12:11 am #4

Wow, that's great. I didn't even see that feature before. Really neat!

Confirmation of reply: