Black Diamond catalog

Black Diamond catalog

February 1st, 2010, 7:20 pm #1

So I walked out to the mailbox this morning and found the BD Ski Mountaineering catalog.
thumbing through. same old stuff. ho hum ....
WHOA! I recognize that!

The center fold is some folks on horses, skis hanging sideways, heading toward Rock Creek on Borah. At the bottom of the page they mention a trip report. Last March, 2009. Pictures, story, and video. Looks to me like they thought Idaho was going to be a cakewalk. They instead got a rude surprise

Took me a while to find it on their website, so I'll save you the trouble:
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... n-to-idaho

crappyclimber
crappyclimber

February 1st, 2010, 11:47 pm #2

Nice find. I've met Dave and Drew a couple of times (they live just off Trail creek rd, just before you get to the Hwy 93 turn-off to Borah). His dad is a great photographer and that is some awesome country right in his backyard.

February 2nd, 2010, 2:48 am #3

So I walked out to the mailbox this morning and found the BD Ski Mountaineering catalog.
WHOA! I recognize that!

The center fold is some folks on horses, skis hanging sideways, heading toward Rock Creek on Borah. At the bottom of the page they mention a trip report. Last March, 2009. Pictures, story, and video. Looks to me like they thought Idaho was going to be a cakewalk. They instead got a rude surprise

It does look like the underestimated the area a bit. I'm really surprised that they said they didn't bring any maps!

February 4th, 2010, 8:17 am #4

WHOA! I recognize that!

does anyone know about ferds cabin? i see it in the BD video just wondering more about it. great trip report!!

February 4th, 2010, 6:10 pm #5

Much of this video is random bits and pieces from here and there....not much seems to be in actual sequence of events....What one might think to be the inside of Ferd's Cabin, isn't..... unless they have really fixed it up. My guess is those inside shots are from the host's home. Ferd's was a hell of a mess the last time I was there.

Some of the still shots are from the Rock Creek area on the west side of the range. Some of the video shows them going through Pass Creek and then north towards Horse Heaven / Ferd's. East and west sides of this range are many hours apart, especially in the winter.

Like I said, just random bits thrown together to make a cool video.

February 4th, 2010, 6:30 pm #6

Looks like some of the footage might be from inside of Ferd's Cabin, but not much.

February 4th, 2010, 7:16 pm #7

It would take a lot of moonshine to make Ferd's cabin look that nice.

February 4th, 2010, 9:57 pm #8

When I stopped by the cabin in late June on my way to ski Leatherman, the cowboy who was living there for the summer had cleaned up the place nicely. He said the folks who lived there the previous summer had left lots of junk, most of which he'd taken away. He also said the forest service wanted to remove the cabin, so he was thinking if he cleaned it up they might reconsider that idea.

The trip shown in the BD video seems ill-conceived. I mean, who goes to wade around in 2 feet of facets int the Lost Rivers in the middle of winter when they could wait a couple months and have perfect, stable corn snow? The video or text mentions they were planning a return trip in the spring, but without another TR posted it seems like they didn't go. They also talked about first descents, but having just arrived on the scene, how do they know if a peak or gully had not been skied?

Anyway, it looks like another slow start to the snow season in the Lost Rivers. But I recall there was little snow there last year at this time, yet it dumped in March and April. So there's still hope for a decent spring season.....

Jim

Confirmation of reply: