any preference... Donaldson to Church or Church to Donaldson

any preference... Donaldson to Church or Church to Donaldson

August 13th, 2010, 8:03 pm #1

I've been looking in books and online and even emailed a friend who's a completed 12er, but, can't find it and have't heard back from Mike...so I thought I'd post this here:

I'm looking at hiking Mt. Borah next week- and then going on to do Mts. Donaldson and Church...be nice to get 3 out of the way. Is there a smartest/ most efficient/fun way to do this?

August 13th, 2010, 8:16 pm #2

You have to basically climb Donaldson to get to the top of Church. Most people do Donaldson as the the first peak of the combo.

Mike F.
Mike F.

August 14th, 2010, 3:02 am #3

When I climbed them I climbed Church first. its a matter of preference do you want to enjoy the endurance part of the scramble first or wait till you finished the easy part, then have the long ridge to contend with? Decisions... Decisions.....

August 14th, 2010, 3:57 am #4

Thanks... that's kind of what I thought the choice might be. I always prefer to plow through and get the difficult/work part over as quickly as possible and enjoy some of the down time or at least use it to catch my breath. Really, I'd just like to leave my car, yes, car at the base of Borah and use that as my base, the driving around is going to be the most interesting part...really looking forward to moving beyond trying to figure everything out and into actually being ON a mountain or three.

Thanks so much Mike and Matt!!!

August 14th, 2010, 5:43 am #5

I've been looking in books and online and even emailed a friend who's a completed 12er, but, can't find it and have't heard back from Mike...so I thought I'd post this here:

I'm looking at hiking Mt. Borah next week- and then going on to do Mts. Donaldson and Church...be nice to get 3 out of the way. Is there a smartest/ most efficient/fun way to do this?
I was looking in Idaho a climbing Guide by Tom Lopez going up Church and Donaldson for the East ridge route and it says to go up Jones Creek. I can't fine Jones creek on google maps. Does any one know which one is Jones? I found Lone Cedar creek near by but i was not sure if Jones was the next drainage to the east or 2 drainage's over to the east. If any one know do tell. Thanks.

Jacob

August 14th, 2010, 6:45 am #6

Even though it says it in the book the best route in up the drainage between Jones and Lone Cedar. It is not named but is accessed from the Lone Cedar Creek Road. Once you're on the road take it until you're just outside the Lone Cedar Ranch at which point you'll turn right. Follow this road to its end at the mouth of the canyon. The route is obvious up the canyon to the base of the peaks. From there work up to the Church/Donaldson saddle.

August 14th, 2010, 12:39 pm #7

Let's call it the north fork of Jones Creek?
My Topo doesn't show the road, so I've sketched one onto this map from (dim) memory. But it has been 8 years, so please correct me, Matt (of the young mind and fresh memory).

August 14th, 2010, 3:13 pm #8

I was looking in Idaho a climbing Guide by Tom Lopez going up Church and Donaldson for the East ridge route and it says to go up Jones Creek. I can't fine Jones creek on google maps. Does any one know which one is Jones? I found Lone Cedar creek near by but i was not sure if Jones was the next drainage to the east or 2 drainage's over to the east. If any one know do tell. Thanks.

Jacob
Thanks Matt and Splattski.

August 14th, 2010, 4:53 pm #9

Let's call it the north fork of Jones Creek?
My Topo doesn't show the road, so I've sketched one onto this map from (dim) memory. But it has been 8 years, so please correct me, Matt (of the young mind and fresh memory).
That looks pretty good. The road is actually quite easy to find once you're on Lone Cedar. It's the turnoff to the right just before the Lone Cedar Ranch. Jone's Creek is a pretty tough bushwhack I hear and it's longer.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 15th, 2010, 4:51 am #10

Jones creek is not that bad if you know how to find the old trail that runs along the left hand side as you are going up the creek and then follow the stream coming down from the pass on your left. This will take you to the saddle below the little lake that sets between Church and Donaldson. Traverse right and angle up from the saddle and it will take you to the Lake or turn up the ridge of Donaldson.
I

Confirmation of reply: