2011 Spring Outing - King Mountain

2011 Spring Outing - King Mountain

Dan
Dan

March 28th, 2011, 4:57 pm #1

The 2011 Spring Outing has been awarded to King Mountain. Please respond to this thread letting us know if you are in, out, or a maybe. Exact details, like start time, meeting location, etc. will come in a week or so.

I know the polls are still close, but King Mountain is slightly ahead. In addition to voting, the following also weighed into my decision:

1. The roads leading into the Scorpion Peak area are not guaranteed to be open by April 30th. There are still around 3 to 4 feet of snow at 6000' feet in that area. Expecting all of that to melt and dry out within 1 month seems unreasonable, especially given the current weather pattern. In addition, anyone that knows that area knows that those roads are prone to washouts. The forest service person I spoke to told me they would not maintain those roads (i.e. fix washouts) until mid-May at the earliest this year.

King Mountain, on the other hand, is nearly accessible now. Given another 4 weeks and the road's western aspect, it should be easily accessible on April 30th.

2. Both are fairly long ascents, however, King Mountain is 3600' of gain versus 4200' on Scorpion. We all know from last year that 3800' on Little Sister was pushing some people's limits and we got lucky on that one because 2000 feet of that gain was on dirt. King seems like the better alternative for those in the group that aren't in top physical condition.

3. I didn't really take skiing into account, but from Wes' input, it sounds like there are some opportunities for skiing on King.

March 28th, 2011, 6:54 pm #2

Dan, Dylan and I have already marked it on the calendar. Just needed to hold a place so the wife didn't make other plans. Looking forward to it. We will be there Friday evening and spend Saturday night as well.

zdv
zdv

March 28th, 2011, 7:04 pm #3

The 2011 Spring Outing has been awarded to King Mountain. Please respond to this thread letting us know if you are in, out, or a maybe. Exact details, like start time, meeting location, etc. will come in a week or so.

I know the polls are still close, but King Mountain is slightly ahead. In addition to voting, the following also weighed into my decision:

1. The roads leading into the Scorpion Peak area are not guaranteed to be open by April 30th. There are still around 3 to 4 feet of snow at 6000' feet in that area. Expecting all of that to melt and dry out within 1 month seems unreasonable, especially given the current weather pattern. In addition, anyone that knows that area knows that those roads are prone to washouts. The forest service person I spoke to told me they would not maintain those roads (i.e. fix washouts) until mid-May at the earliest this year.

King Mountain, on the other hand, is nearly accessible now. Given another 4 weeks and the road's western aspect, it should be easily accessible on April 30th.

2. Both are fairly long ascents, however, King Mountain is 3600' of gain versus 4200' on Scorpion. We all know from last year that 3800' on Little Sister was pushing some people's limits and we got lucky on that one because 2000 feet of that gain was on dirt. King seems like the better alternative for those in the group that aren't in top physical condition.

3. I didn't really take skiing into account, but from Wes' input, it sounds like there are some opportunities for skiing on King.
I'll be there!

March 28th, 2011, 7:21 pm #4

First time caller, long time listener.

Oh, wait, I meant first time attendee at a spring outing!

I plan on doing as many ski descents as the legs allow.

===========================================

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. -Robert A. Heinlein

March 29th, 2011, 1:34 am #5

I plan on going Friday some time and coming home Saturday night due to i have to work Sunday. If i don't get a ride i can take 3 to 4 people in my truck. Ill be coming from Parma so i will go thru boise and can pick up any one in the area.

Jacob R.

Mike F.
Mike F.

March 29th, 2011, 12:43 pm #6

I have the date marked on the calender. I'll be leaving from Idaho Falls if anyone needs a ride.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 31st, 2011, 3:36 pm #7

What about the eastern Idaho contingent... Margo, Eric, Bella, etc.?

What about western folks John, Dave, Steve, Michael, Lopez, Pat, George, etc.?

michael
michael

March 31st, 2011, 5:19 pm #8

maybe not until Saturday morning, we'll see

Geo
Geo

March 31st, 2011, 6:06 pm #9

I'm a definate maybe right now.

-George

pat
pat

April 1st, 2011, 12:22 am #10

I must work in Portland on Friday Apr 29 and won't get back to Boise until ~6 pm. That makes it tough to get to the LLR that evening. I prefer the trip to be Sat-Sun. Count me as a maybe for now.

Confirmation of reply: